Goodman DCC Boxes -
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:59 pm 

Which will be the most collectible DCC boxed set in 2009 and beyond?  Which will be the most valuable, in absolute value and percentage over cover price?  Hardetst to find? How about the "best", whatever that may mean?

30 - Vault of the Dragon Kings
35 - Gazetteer of the Known Realms
51 - Castle Whiterock
Saga of the Dragon Cult

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:29 am 

What about Heroes Arise?

The Gazetteer seems hardest to find now.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:39 am 

I would imagine DCC35 will become the hardest to obtain in collectible shape. Especially in shrink-wrap.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:56 am 

The DCC 30 box set is larger than the other box sets.  Because of the size and weight of the box the shrink is almost always damaged.  And they produced less of them than the other box sets.  Most of these were probably purchased more for the miniatures than anything else, so I would also expect less than complete sets available in the future.

Seems to me that DCC 30 should end up being the most collectible even though it has less to offer than DCC 35 and 51.  DCC 35 will probably end up being the most valuable though.  It is still one of the better role-playing supplements I have in my collection.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:01 am 

Just my experience/opinion...

DCC#30 is currently the hardest to find, and in mint condition will probably remain the hardest to find. That said, DCC#30 is not the best adventure in the world, and the presence of the module on it's own will limit the boxed set to collectors only.

DCC#35 is the sort of boxed set no-one bought when it was published. It never had a hay day or a flourish of excitement to buy it when it was launched, and I doubt there are many people sitting on boxes of these for investment purposes, so this is a strong contender for the top slot, especially in mint condition. Also, as a staple background for the campaign world, it will probably still sell well in VG condition to those who want playable copies. Watch out for the modules working their way out onto the market on their own a la L3, which is always an indicator of a higher than retail base price on eBay. I expect this to be a good performer.

DCC#51 Other than the fact that it is completely shite, there will always be the die hard GG Campaign Geeks who'll run it anyways, and the newbies who don't know the difference between good and bad writing, so if you bought a copy at half price, you should still get your money back if you sell it in five years. The quality is more akin to World's Largest Dungeon than anything of substance, and it's flaws are pretty well known by the industry. Even with the big sell off and it's impending rarity, people are still having problems shifting their stock. That does not bode well for this as a future investment. If you want to read it or play it, or ypou're a completist, buy a copy. Otherwise, stear clear.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:28 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Just my experience/opinion...

DCC#30 is currently the hardest to find, and in mint condition will probably remain the hardest to find. That said, DCC#30 is not the best adventure in the world, and the presence of the module on it's own will limit the boxed set to collectors only.

DCC#35 is the sort of boxed set no-one bought when it was published. It never had a hay day or a flourish of excitement to buy it when it was launched, and I doubt there are many people sitting on boxes of these for investment purposes, so this is a strong contender for the top slot, especially in mint condition. Also, as a staple background for the campaign world, it will probably still sell well in VG condition to those who want playable copies. Watch out for the modules working their way out onto the market on their own a la L3, which is always an indicator of a higher than retail base price on eBay. I expect this to be a good performer.

DCC#51 Other than the fact that it is completely shite, there will always be the die hard GG Campaign Geeks who'll run it anyways, and the newbies who don't know the difference between good and bad writing, so if you bought a copy at half price, you should still get your money back if you sell it in five years. The quality is more akin to World's Largest Dungeon than anything of substance, and it's flaws are pretty well known by the industry. Even with the big sell off and it's impending rarity, people are still having problems shifting their stock. That does not bode well for this as a future investment. If you want to read it or play it, or ypou're a completist, buy a copy. Otherwise, stear clear.

Back from the dead here for a visit.

Ive started reading through DCC#51 so I cant comment on the boxed set as a whole just yet, but so far I like it. The first book is very helpful, provides an overall structure and review of the entire mega adventure. It reminds me in many ways of Sargents almost-Greyhawk set (which im drawing a blank on at the moment). The first two levels are pretty good but dont provide enough eps in my old school 1st ed style to really push players to 2nd level. It needs side adventures and some expansion. I think it needs to be beefed up a little but that is easily done, especially with all the other DCC material out there. But since I havent delved deeper than the 3rd dungeon level I cant say what the rest of the set will be like.

My feeling is that DCC#51 is going to be one of the futures collecting gems. And if anyone has a box that isnt concave then they have a real collectable as almost every copy i have heard about or seen has a slightly bent in lid.

Id say as far as DCC boxed sets go the top of the pile will be DCC#30, then a toss up between #35 and #51. #35 will probably remain the more sought after and harder to find for a good while but it is a campaign setting. DCC#51 as a mega-dungeon and a boxed set sizable enough to kill small rodents and stun intruders will, I believe, become legendary.

Out of the two other boxed sets mentioned, one has a small booklet of original material, the other does not. The one with the original material should command the higher price.

Once again I have to say that DCC#51 seems to me to be a good if not possibly excellent set as far as the adventure goes.