A question about autographs...
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:43 pm 

I have recently purchased a copy of the third edition  :oops:  D&D Player's Handbook with the signatures of Gary Gygax, Dave Arneson and the three designers (Skip Williams, Monte Cook and Jonathan Tweet). This should be a first print PH because it still has the 'survival kit' for playing without DMG and MM and a CD ROM Character generator version 1.0. I guess it was bought at the Gen Con where the Third Edition was launched: I wonder if Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson did were present at the event...

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:43 pm 

If it was the last one in Milwaukee when 3.0 was released (not sure, but I think it was out a bit earlier in the year) then yeah I know Gygax was there (seen him running a game) Not sure on Arneson.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:27 pm 

Well, I found a photo of Gary signing a 3rd edition Player's Handbook at Gen Con 2000 and so, considering I like Americans' honesty  :wink: , I am satisfied. Well, thr signature matches the ones I have on some books and games...  8)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:46 pm 

3rd edition was released at the 2000 GenCon. There was a massive table of "celebrities" doing signings. My brother bought two PHBs there, and had them signed. Gary's is amongst the names.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:18 pm 

Alexander1968 wrote:Well, I found a photo of Gary signing a 3rd edition Player's Handbook at Gen Con 2000 and so, considering I like Americans' honesty  :wink: , I am satisfied. Well, thr signature matches the ones I have on some books and games...  8)

I saw a guy get EGG's sig on a 3E handbook at Gencon 2007... :o  If you stick a book in someone's face they will probably sign it, although I remember EGG being extremely flummoxed that someone wanted him to sign that book. I think his reply was something along the lines of "But I had nothing to do with that book" although to his credit he signed it anyway.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:25 pm 

Badmike wrote:I saw a guy get EGG's sig on a 3E handbook at Gencon 2007... :o  If you stick a book in someone's face they will probably sign it, although I remember EGG being extremely flummoxed that someone wanted him to sign that book. I think his reply was something along the lines of "But I had nothing to do with that book" although to his credit he signed it anyway.

I once asked Steve Jackson of SJG sign a Mox from MTG.  I couldn't tell if he was confused, amused, or what.  He did sign it.  :)