Help with GENCON EAST 1981 and British Mags
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:29 pm 

I won a bundle of Dragon mags # 44 through 96, all bagged and in NM for $20.50 off EBAY :D . When I went through them, I discovered in issue #44 a loose pamphlet:

GENCON EAST 1981, 8 pages in length. Mint condition but it appears the press cut it at a slight 2-3 degree angle on the top and bottom.  Is it worth anything and does it have a collectable market?  

After that find, last week I picked up a bundle of RPG items from a 3rd Ed. game store that bought out another game store. Got a shrink C1, B2 (my first shrinks!), N5 mint, C4 mint, C5 mint, MV1 mint with original viewer, WG7 mint (I can sell my other one now :wink: ), Rogues Gallery,  2-Lizard Logo Basic #2001Rule books (1G, 1VG), an old 2 pack DM screen mint, L2 NM, FR1&10 NM,  WG11 Mint, and a Hexagonal Mapping Booklet VG (first 2 pages drawn on in pencil). All for $30 :D .  Also included, that I need help with on worth/collectability, are the following:

Group of British publications. All are about 4"x 8" magazines
Thunderstruck                Issues 4, 3
Dragonlords                Issues 4, 6, 7, 9, 14
Quasits and Quasars                        Issue 4
The Beholder                Issues 23, 25
Black Rider                Issues 3, 4

Judges Guild, Vol. 1, 2nd Ed, Ready Reference Sheets

Pad of character sheets, 20 sheets, printed on a woodgrain style paper. They seemed to be loose leaf but on closer examination I discovered that they we glued as in a tear pad style package but the glue seems to be failing. Is this the in-house TSR character sheet pad 8O ?

Any help would be appreciated :) !

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:34 pm 

the zines are worth a couple of buck, but only to a few people (I'm one that collects them;) so if you decide to sell em let me know... as a rought indication they are worth $5us or more depending on how badly they are needed;)

Brette:)

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:56 pm 

Brette me old mate - I think you've underplayed the possible value of the British zines.  A batch of around 6 similar zines went for around 17 quid a couple of weeks ago in England (that's around $32), and another shortly afterwards went for around 26!  :wink:

Kosh - there are some reasonably famous ones in your list - Quasits and Quasars was extremely good, and people will sell their grandmother to get a complete run of Dragonlords - there were 21 of them.  

If I were you I'd batch-em-up and see what the E-Bay market will pay. In these inflationary days you never know!  8O

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:54 pm 

Yes prob a bit, but 32/6= $5.33 per zine so $5 and upwards is not to bad a guess. For example I can tell you that this week i have paid from $4us-$18us per zine... I can also tell you that there are not as collectable as D&D stuff and only a few are interested in them, you have those out there that will pay a lot for them and those that won't... as with anything...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:09 pm 

I agree that about $5 per zine is around the going rate... but as with anything, it can fluctuate. These zines have a small market, and the smaller the market the wilder the possible fluctuation.

As Brett says, it's a small market, but the buyers that exist are super-keen. You just need to get at least two of them to bid on your auction.

Regards

Mike

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:47 pm 

mdr003 wrote:As Brett says, it's a small market, but the buyers that exist are super-keen. You just need to get at least two of them to bid on your auction.

well there is you and I for a start Mike;)

LOL