Bunnies & Burrows 1st print
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:19 pm 

I have two copies of what I believe is a first print - 1976 copyright, large size booklet, with a bunny battle scene with flag waving rabbit on the cover.  Both have the card reference sheet.

But, two slight differences:

(i) darker blue cover ink - yellow reference sheet

(ii) lighter blue cover ink - blue reference sheet

Is anyone able to help in identifying which printings I may have?

Ta!

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:08 pm 

I took a look at this a few years back, and came to the opinion that the lighter blue, with blue reference sheet was the earlier printing, on the basis that the quality of print in both the book and reference sheet was superior in the yellow/dark blue copy. It was a completely subjective assessment, as I could get not varify my supposition independently. The dark blue/yellow ref copy seems to be the more common one and tends to be presented in better condition when it appears. My supposition was a first print run light blue/blue ref sheet, followed by a second print with more deffinition/saturation on the cover and the yellow ref sheet and slighly more definition in the print quality once demand was established. Unless the light blue copy is a from a batch of fakes, which I doubt.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:03 pm 

Cheers Ian.  That makes sense.  The yellow card (i.e. in the possible later 1st print/2nd print) is slightly less wide (only a few mm), which makes it fit more comfortably inside the booklet.  That is quite plausibly an improvement which you would make if doing a full re-print, or arranging a follow-on print.

Steven.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:18 am 

I also found that the ink saturation on the blue card was not good, and as a result it was hard to read some of the charts, whereas the ink was darker and the contrast between the ink and yellow card was much higher, resulting in an easier to read quick reference sheet. Still, an independent confirmation would have been nice, but I couldn't get one. The e-mail leads I found all seemed to be dead or ignored.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:33 am 

Also of note is that the 2nd print comes with the yellow quick reference card, which lends credence the the possibility that the blue card was superceded by the yellow card for the second printing of the 1st edition, and they used the same stock to place within the 2nd edition of the book when it was published.