Ars Magica first edition...
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:29 pm 

...is it hard to find? I have just edited an article for DM Magazine issue 20 about Lion Rampant and my urge to get one is itching again  :D

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:48 am 

not so difficult...

** expired eBay auction **

...of course then any other concern is related to your pockets!

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:24 am 

I have already noticed that...

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:19 am 

Alexander1968 wrote:I have already noticed that...

if you're interested i have a spare copy of a 1E supplement: "Broken Covenant of Calebais"...

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:52 am 

There are two versions of the 1st edition.  That one shown above is the first printing and the harder of the two to find (or, at least, the more expensive).

The second printing has a different illustration in the red sphere, and is somewhat easier.

That said, it's one of those things where, if you wait, you'll find one soon enough/eventually.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:05 am 

I'm a patient predator: I'll hide in the eBay bush and when an unsuspecting seller tries to sell his manual, I'll strike  :D

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:31 am 

Alexander1968 wrote:I'm a patient predator: I'll hide in the eBay bush and when an unsuspecting seller tries to sell his manual, I'll strike  :D

You'll take a first-printing from me over my dead body! :D  (That and Bats of Mercille -- which I've accepted that I'm never going to find -- are the only Lion Rampant-era products I'm missing.)

For the record, the second printing of the first ed looks like this: http://index.rpg.net/pictures/show-pic. ... icid=11790

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:07 am 

g026r wrote:
You'll take a first-printing from me over my dead body! :D  

Ah! Nothing better than a little tussle with our American friends to stimulate interest! Seriously, I have a doubt: the first edition was boxed or in book form?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:22 am 

g026r wrote:There are two versions of the 1st edition.  That one shown above is the first printing and the harder of the two to find (or, at least, the more expensive).

The second printing has a different illustration in the red sphere, and is somewhat easier.

That said, it's one of those things where, if you wait, you'll find one soon enough/eventually.

There are actually at least two printings of the 1st edition of the Ars Magica rules:  see http://www.ars-magica.net/index.php?id=65&L=1 and I thought that there were perhaps three.  My recollection is that ArM 1st editions had different color back covers inks/fonts, in addition to the different image on the front cover.  My first printing has black text ink on a white background color, with red hand signs.  Anyone else able to confirm other colors/variants???

And it was book format, never a boxed set.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:53 pm 

g026r wrote:There are two versions of the 1st edition.  That one shown above is the first printing and the harder of the two to find (or, at least, the more expensive).

I haven't studied this systematically, but my general impression is that a lot more 1st prints are put up for sale than 2nd prints. Also, although the prices seem to be rather random, my impression is that there is no significant difference in the pricing of the two versions.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:52 am 

grodog wrote:
There are actually at least two printings of the 1st edition of the Ars Magica rules:  see http://www.ars-magica.net/index.php?id=65&L=1 and I thought that there were perhaps three.  My recollection is that ArM 1st editions had different color back covers inks/fonts, in addition to the different image on the front cover.  My first printing has black text ink on a white background color, with red hand signs.  Anyone else able to confirm other colors/variants???

And it was book format, never a boxed set.

Doing some Ars Magica research this morning, so a little thread resurrection to say, "Yes, my first print matches that."

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn