Original Dungeons & Dragons (6th print) with supplements
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:43 pm 

Hi all,

I am interested in selling my 6th printing 'White Box' set and see here that prices are all over the board. Any advice for the following?

Original 'White Box' set (Box condition F?)

Box has slight tear in one corner and general wear/slight creasing

• Volumes 1, 2 and 3 (all VF+)

My brother (original owner) wrote his initials inside the first page on all books, otherwise very clean and no rips/stains, etc.)

• Includes the Reference Sheets (F)

These are slightly worn on the top corner and have some scuffs)

Also have:

• Greyhawk - Supplement 1 (11th Printing - VF+)
• Blackmoor - Supplement 2 (7th Printing - VF+)
• Eldritch Wizardry - Supplement 3 (8th Printing - VF+)
• Gods, Demi-Gods & Heroes - Supplement 4 (6th Printing - F+ -- cover didn't age as well, slight discoloration)

And...

• Chainmail (3rd Edition, 5th Printing - VF)
• The Spellcaster's Bible (NON-TSR - F+)

• Dun Dra Con V Program (VF+)

Any thoughts on price and best way to sell? eBay? Others?

THANKS!

http://www.espermedia.com/dnd/fullset.jpg

http://www.espermedia.com/dnd/setandsupplements.jpg

Last edited by gcole58 on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:29 pm 

Hi,

For the best returns, I would sell the white box set (incl. reference sheets and 3 books) separately from the supplements, which I would list individually, and sell chainmail, dundracon and spellcaster individually also. Spellcader and dundracon will go to a different type of collector from the rest of the white box stuff, and you're more likely to get higher prices if you let people chose what individual items they want to bid on.

Post links to your eBay page on the classified section and later in this thread. Those looking for this stuff will check back and find it.

Get a PayPal account if you don't have one, accept international bids because there is a lot of money in the world, and take good clear photos like the ones you posted (even if you have to put links on the auctions).

Bank on losing about 15% between eBay and PayPal's fees, but it'll be worth the time and effort, and most importantly, enjoy selling the stuff.

Good Luck

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:59 am 

PM  Sent    :D

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:34 am 

Thanks for the info/advice mbassoc2003!

PM reply sent Invincible Overlord...

I guess I should have mentioned that I was hoping to get $250 or so for the lot... Does that sound realistic???

As mbassoc2003 suggests, I will probably split the Chainmail/Program/Spellcaster's Bible out to sell individually and then offer the set and supplments by themselves - or as a lot if I can find anyone interested.

THANKS!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:48 am 

gcole58 wrote:Thanks for the info/advice mbassoc2003!

PM reply sent Invincible Overlord...

I guess I should have mentioned that I was hoping to get $250 or so for the lot... Does that sound realistic???

As mbassoc2003 suggests, I will probably split the Chainmail/Program/Spellcaster's Bible out to sell individually and then offer the set and supplments by themselves - or as a lot if I can find anyone interested.

THANKS!

You put pictures up and you'll get some pretty good guesses as to what your stuff is actually worth.  Not from me, I'm not super knowledgeable about these things, but others are.  Condition makes a huge difference in value, and pictures go a long way in helping people properly assess condition. 8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:56 am 

I've not really been keeping aneye on White Box, Supplement or Chailmail prices, but you should manage at least $50 between the Spellcaster's Bible and the Dundracon program, the program in particular may draw attention from the collectors who have everything else.

So I'd say you stand a fair chance of reaching your $250 if you sell individually. But don't forget eBay and PayPal will want their cut.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:52 pm 

gcole58 wrote:Thanks for the info/advice mbassoc2003!

THANKS!

You'll need to provide a better picture than the one you've linked, to get a better determination of the condition of the items presented.

IMHO - The white box (6th Printing) should go for around $100-125
          The 4 booklets (non-chainmail) should go for around $10-15 each.
          The chainmail book could go for $35-50 range?
          And as to the Spellcaster's Bible and Dundracon program, I have no idea.

Also, that's how I would group them for sale IMHO.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:07 pm 

Yes, I plan on doing several additional photos -- images of each individual item and details for any wear, etc.

According to my own research and the prices listed on this forum, I was hoping to get:

Box Set: $100+

4 Supplements: $25+ each

Chainmail: $30+

Program/Spellcaster's Bible: $10-$20 each???

That is how I came up with my goal of getting $250 for the entire lot...

Thanks for all of the feedabck everyone. I'll update this post with further pictures/info as soon as I can.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:31 pm 

Phew! OK - 12 + months later - a move, a job change and a second child... Finally ready to sell thee items again. ;)

Would love to get any updated feedback/suggestions. I will post better pictures of each individual item later this week.

THANKS!!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:29 pm 

Prices haven't changed much from the advice you were initially given.  Once you put up those pictures, you should get better quotes.

You can do what you want, but if it was me selling, I'd wait until after Christmas.  Call me crazy, but in my experience, January and February are both better than December as far as prices and avoiding the shipping rush. 8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:04 pm 

I'm happy to buy the DDC program, gcole58:  please email me @ [email protected] if you'd like to sell that separately :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/