Galley Proofs!!
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:03 pm 

Okay guys - last post for a minute or two...  :lol:

I have recently purchased a "galley proof" of the 3e Monster Manual.

Questions:
1. Anyone know how common these are (for all versions of books - anyone have something like this)?

2. Anyone care to garner a value?

3. MOST IMPORTANTLY: Did TSR ever put out a galley proof (of sorts) for any of the big three (PHB, MM & DMG) 1st edition hb books from the start ?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:47 pm 

sages_of_the_ages wrote:Okay guys - last post for a minute or two...  :lol:

I have recently purchased a "galley proof" of the 3e Monster Manual.

Questions:
1. Anyone know how common these are (for all versions of books - anyone have something like this)?
?

For the non-D&D books I collect, proofs are always worth far less than the 1st
printings - although they're less common.  Technically, a galley is just to test the
printing and not for editing.  A proof will be a full printing, often perfect bound, with
the final typeface, etc.(maybe no pictures) to do last minute editing.    These often double
as advance reading copies sent to reviewers.  The printing runs may be in the 100s,
perhaps over 1000 for a well known author.  I've bought quite a few, often paying
only 1/10th as much as the first edition would cost.  However, they are very rare
and thus should attract a premium.  I have seen some Stephen King proofs go for
more than the 1sts.  I think the book collecting community is confused over this issue.
As TSR probably wasn't out to solicit reviews for their books, you probably have a
test printing used for editing.  Are there any hand written corrections?

What you have may be somewhat unique, especially in its state.  Is it different in
content from the real 3e MM?  I would think it should be worth more than the regular
3eMM 1st printing.