On OCE/white boxed sets...
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:56 pm 

I also purchased a copy of the third print white box WITH DICE!! the dice were some of the oldest I've seen (and i'm getting older than hair, guys :wink: ) This is the second such set I have gotten like this. The other is a folded wax paper bagette with a tiny made in china stacker. The wax paper is rather old looking and appears to have been sold with hthe set otherwise. Has anyone had this occur as well?

I'm really not sure what to think...  8O

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:00 pm 

I haven't seen these dice you're talking about sota, but from interviews I've read with EGG and RJK, they sound like the earliest polyhedrons available from TSR.

Scott---perhaps we should think about including dice info on the site, at least for the earliest of the sets???

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:01 pm 

I seem to remember the original dice set coming in a plastic "bag" that was stapled shut. These were the dice featuring the big blue 12 sided. It has been awile.,, 8O

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:12 am 

How can simple plastic dice evoke such fond memories?!?

d4 yellow
d6 orange
d8 green
d12 blue
d20 white

Notice that there are none of the bogus d10, d30, d100 here.  Good honest and mathematically correct polyhedrons.

Percentile (2d20) were also available separately I think.  One white one pink.

I love these dice.  Low impact plastic.  Fragments would get chipped off with use until the d20s were almost spherical.  After a year or two, mine had to be rolled inside a box to stop them rolling the length of the table onto the floor.

I always hated "rolling" d4s.  There is never any sense of anticipation with a d4.  You know what you've got straight away.  And it's usually a 1!  At least when rolling the HP for your 1st level MU.

The d20 had 0-9 twice so that you had to use 2 colours to distinguish 1-10 from 11-20.  Black and red in my case.  I had two red 6's.  8O
0's would have been two obvious.  :wink: Did anyone colour 2 numbers the same?  Or was it just me?

Cheating?  No!  Just giving fate a helping hand.  And this "lucky" d20 got relegated to d20 reserve as it always seems to come up black anyway.

I have just got my box of dice out.  And It has a little hole on one of the faces which looks like it opens up inside the die.  Must have biased the rolling characteristics.  :evil: I think thats called justice.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:24 pm 

As the bumper sticker says, "You'' have to pry them from dead fingers!"

Yep, the old colored dice are the best. Nothing compares, especially those cyrstal crap dice with barely legible numbers.

I still have my original dice that are just about dead. The d20 also rolls forever if you let it.

Funny, we did not color our d20s. We used a six sided and d20 to figure hit rolls. d6 = 1-3 was "0" added to d20 result. 4-6 added "10" to d20 result. This is how I learned to roll back in 1978. 8O

We got some strange looks from people at conventions. Even had a DM in a Gen Con AD&D tournament tell me I could not roll that way. I think he could not firure it out!! :lol:

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:44 pm 

>>d4 yellow
d6 orange
d8 green
d12 blue
d20 white

I have a sealed pack of these stored somewhere; they came from a 1979 basic set.  Since the OCE printing of the white box was printed through 1979, I wonder if this pack was also inserted with them, or no?  Does anyone know?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:56 pm 

I had a set of these dice earlier than 1979 (I think).  So, I'm sure they were available before this.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:48 am 

They were sold separately. I can actually remember the D&D display at our local hobby shop. All they had was one of those carousel type deals - the kind you see in grocery stores with comics in them. Anyway, I clearly remember the dice (same as we are discussing) being sold as a set in a really thick clear plastic baggie. I don't remember anything but a price sticker - probably a $1.50 (that store was the only supplier of D&D anywhere in that section of metro-Detroit). That would have been late 1978 to early 1979. I bought my white box copy at that store... :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:40 pm 

bbarsh wrote:They were sold separately. I can actually remember the D&D display at our local hobby shop. All they had was one of those carousel type deals - the kind you see in grocery stores with comics in them. Anyway, I clearly remember the dice (same as we are discussing) being sold as a set in a really thick clear plastic baggie. I don't remember anything but a price sticker - probably a $1.50 (that store was the only supplier of D&D anywhere in that section of metro-Detroit). That would have been late 1978 to early 1979. I bought my white box copy at that store... :)

I just won a 5th edition on ebay with dice included in the box.  They dont seem to fit (the cover doesnt close all the way with them inside so I would lean towards the sold seperately thing too.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:18 pm 

I've got a set of the old dice in very good condition.

Needless to say, they are cool.

8)