Signed true first print PHB
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:07 am 

I've got a signed (by Gary) true first printing of the PHB (yes, white flyleaf page).  The back reference sheet has been removed and is missing.  Other then that, it's in VG condition.  I know it's not really high on the value list compared to many other books, but I'm wondering if the value would go up now that it's signed...and how much?  

I was fortunate to attend 2007 Lake Geneva Gaming Conference, where I met and BS'ed with Gary himself (RIP Gary... :( ...).  He was gracious enough to sign my true first printing of the book.

I'm not really looking to sell, but will always evaluate and consider any offer.

~Hal

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:13 am 

Depends on the buyer, what the signature says (ie, dedicated to you or just his name,) whether you can prove it is Gary's autograph (he is well-known to have signed numerous things so its very likely signed, but still evidence never hurts) and so on and so forth...

So people, the really hardcore guys, probably won't be interested -- the book is incomplete, and "damaged" with the writing.

To others, it can be a real wildcard... so, I'd say a flux of +/- 20-30%, but possibly more on the open market where eBay gets the strangest bids a-flying.

Me, I'd not even consider it. Selling, that is. Buy-wise, since I don't have a true 1st print PHB, I dunno... have to see a picture and then compare to others.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:27 am 

By the sounds of the condition of the book, the big selling feature is the signature.  I would think that might bring an extra $10 - $20 but that's about it.  I would think it would be worth more if the signature was written back when the book came out rather than last year.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:45 am 

That's kinda what I thought.  

Thanks...
~Hal

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:42 pm 

PM Sent.