GenCon 2008 - auction report?
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:58 am 

grodog wrote:
Thanks dbartman!  Some very intersting prices in there.  

I'm surprised that the R2 went so low (must not have been in good shape?), and same with the Gorgonstar Titan, while the Outdoor Geos and R3 went very high!

The R3 was a manuscript or pre-pub, can't quite remember.  It was not the regular version though.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:13 pm 

Sorry, I didn't include the detailed descriptions for the items since some were rather large.  Here's some additional details for some of the items mentioned previously:

$620.00        Egg of the Phoenix

* Ultracollectible
    Part 1 "The Caves of Northending", tournament copy from 1981; inscription & autographed by author AND Bill Hoyer (ultra-rare autograph)
    Complete, bagged & boarded

$100.00        AD&D R-2 The Investigation of Hydell

Complete, fair condition, signed by Frank Mentzer

$500.00        D& D Outdoor Geomorphs Set 1

First printing of geomorphic maps. Set 1 Walled City. Mnit condition with original shrink, though split open at the top.

$225.00        Titan (first edition)

Punched - The Monster Slugathon. Later purchased and expanded by The Avalon Hill Game Company. Copyright 1980. Some water damage to box cover, but all pieces are intact, and map has been laminated.

There were some good deals had but prices were pretty consistent with the typical ups and downs of the auction market overall.

Although it was listed as only in Excellent condition, I thought the Fazzle was a steal.  It should turn a good profit for whoever won it if they decide to sell.

Malc, I thought that the CA sold.  Guess I wasn't paying attention at the time.

There were a lot of Titans at the auction.  That might be what kept the prices down.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:37 pm 

With GenCon auctions, prices can really fluctuate, depending on, among other things, who happens to be in the room at the time an item comes up.  On the other hand, there are some real benefits, from a buyer's perspective.  First, you can see who you are bidding against.  And second, you can't be sniped at the last second.

I did pick up the R series run.  I paid a bit more in general than the Acaeum indicative prices, but I suspect something less than what they would have gone for on eBay.

R-1:  Fine+, $210
R-2:  Fine, $230
R-3:  Very Fine (signed by Frank), $200
R-4:  Very Fine, $300

Yeah, the last one hurt a bit.  But, when you've got the first three, what's to be done?  Plus, the proceeds went to a good cause (right, Mike?).   :D

And the best part is that, looking at the list of sales, my regrets run to what I didn't buy.  But that's why there's always eBay (and GenCon next year).   :lol:

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:37 am 

Bracton wrote:
I did pick up the R series run.  I paid a bit more in general than the Acaeum indicative prices, but I suspect something less than what they would have gone for on eBay.

R-1:  Fine+, $210
R-2:  Fine, $230
R-3:  Very Fine (signed by Frank), $200
R-4:  Very Fine, $300

Yeah, the last one hurt a bit.  But, when you've got the first three, what's to be done?  Plus, the proceeds went to a good cause (right, Mike?).   :D

Yeh, thanks man!!!!  :D

I will say I thought my R4 was the nicest condition of the four, just my opinion....!

You didn't get them all signed by Frank??? Or was the R3 already signed before auction?

Some good deals to be sure...I'm saving my money now, hopefully I can be a bit of a player next year.  Some of the stuff that went in the $100-$200 range was an absolute steal.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:42 am 

Badmike wrote:
Yeh, thanks man!!!!  :D

I will say I thought my R4 was the nicest condition of the four, just my opinion....!

You didn't get them all signed by Frank??? Or was the R3 already signed before auction?

Some good deals to be sure...I'm saving my money now, hopefully I can be a bit of a player next year.  Some of the stuff that went in the $100-$200 range was an absolute steal.

Mike B.

Actually, all four are in really nice condition.  But that R-4 is the best of the bunch.   :)

The R-3 came pre-defaced.  I decided not to have Frank deface the others; though I can never decide which I prefer.   :?

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:58 am 

The R-3 you got was mine, Bracton.  Frank signed it for me 2 years ago.

Martin

Previous