Battlesytem Mint in Shrinkwrap
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:47 pm 

Hello, first post from an Acaeum noob :)

I just acquired a Battlesystem set in mint condition, still shrinkwrapped, for what I thought was a very good price at $45. I also previously paid a silly amount for an unpunched Battlesystem set which was in v fine condition.

I felt the Acaeum estimated valuations are low for this item.

Can anyone give me a better idea of the the value of my shrinkwrapped set. The box doesn't have any bends or markings on it, and I'm fairly certain the shinkwrap is original. Also, I really want to crack the box open a look inside, but how much would that devalue it?

Cheers, Zipede

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:07 pm 

Hey Zipede,

I have a couple of these sets, one punched and one unpunched.  I didn't have any trouble finding this one locally used and cheap.  I paid no more than $10 for each set.  My impression was that these really don't sell for too much on Ebay, maybe $20-$25 for one in good shape.

With shrink, you never know what can happen to the price so maybe $40ish is about right.  I noticed that there has been a copy for sale in shrink for $58 that has not sold even though it was listed 2 or 3 times.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:12 pm 

Generally, opening something in shrink reduces value by at least 40% if not more -- that is, it becomes less "collectible" to many who consider it "damaged."

Me, I like them out of shrink so I can then find one in shrink -- one to look at, one to keep, as it were. :)

But, I've yet to see an open set that was complete (of course, I don't go looking for these as I have no real desire to use it for anything.)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:25 pm 

serleran wrote:Generally, opening something in shrink reduces value by at least 40% if not more -- that is, it becomes less "collectible" to many who consider it "damaged."

Me, I like them out of shrink so I can then find one in shrink -- one to look at, one to keep, as it were. :)

But, I've yet to see an open set that was complete (of course, I don't go looking for these as I have no real desire to use it for anything.)

Shrink is a real wild card on ebay. Shrink prices can be just a little more for unshrunk or you can get some crazy bidding. Don't unshrink! (get a used copy for play)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:33 pm 

Mars wrote:Hey Zipede,

I have a couple of these sets, one punched and one unpunched.  I didn't have any trouble finding this one locally used and cheap.  I paid no more than $10 for each set.  My impression was that these really don't sell for too much on Ebay, maybe $20-$25 for one in good shape.

With shrink, you never know what can happen to the price so maybe $40ish is about right.  I noticed that there has been a copy for sale in shrink for $58 that has not sold even though it was listed 2 or 3 times.

I agree 100%. I think a shrinked Battlesystem set would probably be in the $40-$50 range.  I personally picked up a set a couple of years ago in the $25 range, but that was from Egor IIRC and it was like the 3rd or 4th one in a row that he had listed in a short amount of time.  Shrink items can go really crazy sometimes, but that is usually only because 2 people are driving up the price for it.  If the same item shows up in shrink again shortly there after, the items final value is usually much less.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:52 pm 

Great! Thanks for all your responses. I guess $45 was a fair deal in the end. I'm not even going to mention how much I paid for the first unpunched set.

I know opening it is nuts and I am trying hard NOT to unshrink it, but the kid inside may get the better of me.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Cheers, Zipede