Grenadier Gold Plated Orc Shaman
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:55 pm 

I would be suspect of this seller as well.  They won an auction I ran a couple months ago, then said they wanted to bid and combine with some others I listed.  In the end, they stopped responding my messages and I had to file a Non-paying-bidder against them (they didn't respond to that either).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:12 pm 

Ya know, now that it has been mentioned, I could almost swear to having a 'silver' paladin at some point ages ago. I seem to recall noticing the oddity of it, but I came to the conclusion that it must have been the result of a poor metal mix, as the color wasn't really different from other minis in the set, and it had a 'watery' consistency. But, I was about 13 at the time - some 30 years ago.

Located what I think is my original pally from back then, but it doesn't look 'silvered' at all. Not 100% certain it is my original, though...  :?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:21 pm 

TollHouseGolem wrote:** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

This seller has a "gold-plated" Grenadier spearman that appears to be liberally slathered in gold paint (you can see wear spots at the bend of the spear, on a helmet rivet, and on the back of the base for starters).

Story time:  I once bought an eBay lot of painted lead minis.  I soaked them in pine oil cleaner to remove the paint.  I scrubbed them with toothbrushes.  One was stubbornly resistant to having its paint removed.  After a closer look, I realized that it was a gold-plated Orc shaman.

The gold-plate remained shiny and completely unbothered by my soak-and-scrub.  Any gold-plated Grenadier minis should look like the picture in otherworld's post.  The gold looks like, well, gold and nothing like gold paint.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:10 pm 

FYI, I did ping Terence about a gold plated Deep One, too.

And while we're on it, does anyone have a comprehensive list of Ral Partha's gold-plated minis?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:44 pm 

Giving this thread a bumparoonie for some info I discovered. Might not be new to many people, but it was to me at least.  :D

Thanks to the Megaminis site, I downloaded the first six Grenadier Bulletin PDFs. And here is what I found:

The orc shamans numbered about 1,000, and were placed randomly in sets 2011 Orc's Lair, 2010 Denizens of the Swamp, and 2012 Dwellers Below. (Bulletin #4)

I could find nothing about the MU numbers or where they were placed, other than they existed. (might have missed it though) I seem to recall an issue of Dragon having some mention of it. I'll have to check. EDIT: Best I could come up with is the mention of them being placed in the 2009 Wizard's Room sets (#47), but I recall seeing an 'ad/article' with a photo of the previous winner and store owner that I cannot locate. I seem to recall the article had mentioned which sets they were to be included.

The basilisk was sold exclusively via the Bulletin's order form in issues #1, 4 and 5. Didn't see it elsewhere in cursory viewing. Dunno how many people received them, so no idea as to the possible maximum there could be out there. Issue #3 boasted 6,000 Bulletin's in print.

I happened to think about this as I was probably going to put up my shaman and MU up for sale soon. It's been cool having them around the last couple of years, but it's really not part of my focus in the meagre collection.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:07 am 

So, anyone have a clue what current values would look like? I recall seeing a full Orc's Lair set with the shaman and the certificate failing to sell last autumn at $250. Also, by appearances, the basilisk is quite harder to come by than the other two (orc shaman and MU).

I did find the photo of the first(?) winner and the store owner with Mr. Rubin in an early issue of Polyhedron (#4), but no info on which sets the MU was to be included in. I still think I saw that in Dragon somewhere.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:06 am 

Good info, thanks for sharing it!

Value-wise, I recently picked up a lot with Orc's Lair (and a gold shaman) and 2 other sets for ~$80 shipped, and bought a gold Deep One and a different Grenadier wizard gold mini too for ~$75 IIRC.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:53 pm 

The Lost Minis Wiki has a photo of the other MU along with some other parephenalia. Looks like they continued the contests into their post-TSR Dragon Lords days.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:14 am 

One of the orc minis is up for $150 BIN atm:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Previous