A D&D Tournament Dungeon designed for Apricon III
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:16 pm 

Mars wrote:If you are in contact with an author you could ask if it is okay to PDF it or photocopy it.

The one thing I find with these types of items is that there is probably a number of people who would like a copy to read but aren't willing to pay much for it.  Chances are you won't make much money on it but if you want to spread the joy, you could see about making copies.

Exactly.  I photocopied a Aggie Warcon three round adventure  from 1982 last year and basically gave it away for the cost of shipping and phocotocoping.  It wasn't anything special, but those who enjoy tournament dungeons love to read them.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:10 pm 

Mars wrote:If you are in contact with an author you could ask if it is okay to PDF it or photocopy it.

Indeed.  A nice scan would might capture the greenbar, adding to the charm.

Also include the history (not specific contact information) of the module.  That may be more interesting than the module itself.

Doing page layout in EMACS?  *shudder*  For those that don't know what EMACS is, it is a text editor.  It is not designed for doing more than editing small command files.  It definitely was not graphical in 1980, so all commands would be done through a combination of keystrokes.  Think back to the word processors of the day, monochrome monitors, and dumb terminals . . .

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:13 pm 

I'll ask and see what he says, but since he is only one of several I'm not sure he can give permission

Mercenary Roadie

When The Money's Gone
                  So Are We!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:48 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:It seems a typical, even substandard homebrew for the time period. Spelling and grammar are poor, setup is unimaginative, etc.
Unless David is somehow related to Anne Hecht (and even then, who cares), this is a typical homebrew. I would find out from him if Apricon was held in a gaming hall or a basement. I've seen several homebrews over the years that were labeled as "cons", when in fact the number of people involved was in the single digits.

This was not a single digit "con".

I don't remember exactly where in Manhattan, NY it was held, but it wasn't in a gaming hall or someones basement

Mercenary Roadie

When The Money's Gone
                  So Are We!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:50 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:so how much do you want for it? :)

That the $60,000 question and the reason that I posted this in the "Collecting Appraisal" forum.

Mercenary Roadie

When The Money's Gone
                  So Are We!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:54 pm 

I would be interested in seeing it, but I don't think I'd spend a lot for it. The other figures of around $5-20 is pretty good. Maybe we can roll 5d4 and see what comes out? Otherwise, it might be worth a bit more, since fewer than 12 were made... and, there is always that "if it's any good..." thing. So, right now, I can't seem to put a specific value as there is just not enough information... is there a picture of the cover? Maybe I'm just blind.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:56 pm 

serleran wrote:So, right now, I can't seem to put a specific value as there is just not enough information... is there a picture of the cover? Maybe I'm just blind.

I think the cover is the transparent red binder.

. . . http://mysite.verizon.net/ptcaezza/Tour ... ungeon.htm

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:11 am 

merc: well listen, unless one of the others wants it muchly, i dont think anyone is willing to shell out lots for it, so i am not gonna be part of hype-ing it either.

if most are saying its worth $5-$20, i would agree still. after all, nobody has heard of it and it doesnt bear any part in something bigger ie greyhawk etc.

i just like stuff i havent heard of and i collect very much at random. if you wanna sell it for $20, then i am interested. any higher and i am happy to save my cash for gencon, so its no biggie to me either way.

there, you have an offer :) if one of the others wants to offer more then cool - and good for you.

best

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:11 am 

Mercenary_Roadie wrote:I'll ask and see what he says, but since he is only one of several I'm not sure he can give permission

Technically, you might need the authorization of all the authors but I think if one of them says its okay then that goes a long way towards it being morally okay (which I think is the bigger issue).

With the other similar item mentioned previously (The Hand of Vecna), that product was also produced somewhat commercially and the authors have a current version that they are working on as well.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:27 pm 

There are some precedents for unknown small published tourneys and manuscripts selling for high prices. One recently went to TFM from eBay auction for quite a bit IIRC. And I recall both buying and selling Sarland for quite a bit.

I see no reason why this wouldn't go beyond $50 unless there was only one bidder.

Let's have it up on eBay and get the price up.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:12 am 

Sorry to hijack this thread (and bump it) but IIRC there was a collector/reseller with a three round MS for the WarCon '82 AD&D Tourney, Gonzo's Great Mistake. Was it you Mike?
On the back of the MichiCon information in another thread, there could be a nice and useful website there for some enterprising little web wizard. We need a catalog of all the tourney dungeons at all conventions. Maybe out of that somewhere in the dim and distant future, Grodog will find what he's been searching for.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:47 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread (and bump it) but IIRC there was a collector/reseller with a three round MS for the WarCon '82 AD&D Tourney, Gonzo's Great Mistake. Was it you Mike?
On the back of the MichiCon information in another thread, there could be a nice and useful website there for some enterprising little web wizard. We need a catalog of all the tourney dungeons at all conventions. Maybe out of that somewhere in the dim and distant future, Grodog will find what he's been searching for.

Yes I believe that is the adventure I have (also, another no-named 2 round adventure).  I can't believe anyone else would have a surviving copy of anything from an early Warcon (held in College Station, Texas).  I don't have it nearby, but it was given to me by a DM who ran the event many years ago; it was just photocopied sheets of paper that they were given to run the adventure off of...nothing fancy in those days!  For awhile I was photocopying and selling them for the price of the copying and shipping, but I haven't seen my copy in awhile.

It's interesting to think of all the convention events over the years in the US, and all the "lost" adventures out there, since I'm sure many, many of these no longer exist at all (due to people throwing them away over the years). Many of them couldn't have had more than 1-2 DM copies ever made to begin with.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:21 am 

Well that explains the copy I have.
With this one, I was looking for an enhanced copy of the last sheet (the photocopy is not legible, which means your's is probably only bearly so. And to clarify where you think the the last portion of typed descriptive work belongs (Beginning - The Baron of your realm, a onve mighty,but now receeding province of the Aluguna Empire, ...) Doesn't seem to belong to any one tourney portion.
On second inspection, this may be the second two round tourney you mentioned, and the last illegible hand written sheet to that, is the one I'm trying to decipher. Shame there's no name. Was it also WarCon by your understanding?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:31 am 

Bump..... lol. 11 years since I last these up. 8O

So I have a few unknown Tournament Dungeons.
The first is the Three Round Gonzo Alligherrie Tournament from WarCon '82 we believe.
Gonzo Alligherrie's (Round #1) Welcome to My Nightmare
Gonzo Alligherrie's (Round #2) Gonzo's Great Mistake
Gonzo Alligherrie's (Round #3) No Apparent Name... maybe SCREW?

For that one I'm looking for an Author's name and any knowledge/recollection/background anyone has.

Next we have a Dungeon of Unknown Name. It looks like a Tournament Dungeon.
The first page....

For that one I'm looking for a possible Title to the dungeon, an Author's Name, and any information any has about where it may have been played, etc.
This is the one with the faint back page, and with a little enhancement it appears to be one of the players notes.

Next up I have something called Castle Tragedy with is a few pages long and is labelled on the final sheet as 'ripga approved', whatever that is.
No idea who wrote it, or where it may have been played.

Next up is something with a distinctive name, Escape from Abraxas. No idea who wrote it, or where it may have been played.

Then I have what may well be a hand written RPGA tourney called Final Rest of the DuerDark. Again, no Author or indication of what it really is.

And finally, a character class called The Planemancer, and a small Adventure called The Price of a Rose, both appearing to utilise the original Planescape boxed set and Sigil (although The Price of a Rose) gates the Adventurers from Sigil to the Dragonlance universe. No name of the author, and of all the above, there are probably homebrew.

With each of the above, any knowledge is welcome, from anyone now, or in the future as a result of a Google hit.
Thanks.  :D

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:59 pm 

RIPGA

I have a couple of these.. my notes.. Rhode Island Game Playing Association, modules used by RIGPA 1999, probably tournament adventures, not too much detail, colour photocopies of hand drawn maps, etc

these are what I have

Castle Tragedy
City of Darkness
Fellowship of the Free Hand, The
Into the Night
Myth Madrine City of the Ages
Tanakas Revenge

I got them from Mark..  see  http://www.planetmars.ca/brett/IMG_9330.JPG

Mark got them from Rhea.. so maybe he might be the best to know?

"Then I have what may well be a hand written RPGA tourney called Final Rest of the DuerDark. Again, no Author or indication of what it really is"

I have a copy of this as well.. unsure if mine is handwritten though.. think it might be final typed version..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:53 am 

Thanks Brette,

That puts a publisher's name to two of those at least.

Previous