Looking for some opinions on some old D&D stuff...
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:20 pm 

First off, let me say hello to the forum.  Im a D&D player from back in the early 80s...started out on the red basic set, and played all through junior high and some of high school, then stopped.  I would still buy stuff just to read, and I still buy stuff I find on the cheap at yard sales and junk shops.  though the old D&D stuff sure is tuff to come by at a reasonable price.  Im not an EBAY seller, but check often to see values.

This weekend I scored a 6th printing white box set with the wizard and the red starburst.  box is in bad shape, and books are a bit banged up, but it was cheap.  Had the reference sheets to boot!

Also in the box was a 3rd printing of Chainmail:

From what I gather I could get a few buck for this stuff, thogh Im not really looking to sell.  Whats your estimate of the value??

Now for my real questions.  

There were also 2 sets of dice and some painted miniatures in the box.  Im wondering a few things.  Is there any way to tell if the dice are early ones?  The d20s just have 0-9 twice.  The edges are very sharp too.  is there any value on these?

Now the miniatures.  Theres 5 bearded halfling looking dudes with the number
1237 and the date 1979 etched on the bottom.

And then theres some orc/gobin looking guys:

the orc with and axe and the one with his shield raised do not have any numbers on the bottom.  the others have numbers...hooded orc #1237, 2 ocrs leaning on halberds #1294A, goblin with bow 1293D, and goblin with shield and curved knife #1295B.

they are all real heavy and seem of good quality, though Ive never collected the minis.  Can these be traced to a particular set or company?  Anyone out there give some info on them?  any value?

thanks for your time with this stuff.

The information here is mindblowing.  Im not sure how I went so long without knowing about this place.  :)

Scott

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:52 pm 

Pennfarms wrote:Now the miniatures.
1237 and the date 1979 etched on the bottom.
And then theres some orc/gobin looking guys
...hooded orc #1237, 2 ocrs leaning on halberds #1294A, goblin with bow 1293D, and goblin with shield and curved knife #1295B.

They are Heritage minis.  The style of the miniatures is characteristic of Custom Cast and Heritage, and the dungeon-floor bases are a dead giveaway.  You may see an HM on the bottom of the bases.

Check out the Dungeon Dwellers website at http://www.dungeon-dwellers.info/Figures.html and click on either the "Old" or the "New" button at the bottom of the page to scroll through pictres of the 1200-series minatures.

Your minis look unbroken.  At 2008 values, I'm guessing at least dollar or two apiece.

Legal recastings of minis from Heritage and others are available from Classic Miniatures (http://www.classicminiatures.net).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:53 pm 

Those dice aren't early ones, as if I recall, the early dice had the numbers printed on the surface, not engraved, and the edges blunted really quickly.  Those dice are identical to dice I have in my Worlds of Wonder box set, and were apparently made on the cheap, being rather lightweight compared to higher quality dice.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:27 am 

Thanks for the link to the minis.  I found all my guys there.

Is there a pic anywhere of what the earliest dice looked like?  The onse I have def seem cheap and of soft plastic.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:30 am 

In the top picture of the dice, the blue D12, red D6, and pink D20 looks like what came with the Basic D&D Holmes box set.
I still have mine around somewhere but the edges are somewhat worn.
If you rolled those babies on a hard surface you could see the flakes coming off them.  :P

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:59 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:If you rolled those babies on a hard surface you could see the flakes coming off them.  :P

Considering the fact that the dice in my Holmes set have noticeable bumps on them, bits flaking off might be a plus. ;)

As a note: the white d20/d10-twice is similar to the one that came in my Holmes set.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Last edited by g026r on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:06 am 

...an oddity: i havent seen beforehand the brown d4...
the shape is the usual one but i havent seen one with the cut edges...

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:18 pm 

aia wrote:the shape is the usual one but i havent seen one with the cut edges...

I have, but I can't remember where... :?

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:47 pm 

I want to say the newer looking dice are from the C&C white box, but I'd have to dig mine out to check.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:49 pm 

Interesting. Every copy of Chainmail 3rd edition I have seen has been too big to fit in the OD&D box. Yours actually is small enough?

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:33 pm 

serleran wrote:Interesting. Every copy of Chainmail 3rd edition I have seen has been too big to fit in the OD&D box. Yours actually is small enough?

The only print/edition of chainmail that I know of that will fit inside the Box Sets is the hybrid print of Chainmail 3rd Edition, which was also silver/grey cover, but was stapled, not with the Spiral bound, as the one above clearly is.

Perhaps some of them were smaller overall and will fit.
Of course, looking at that box, perhaps it will easily fit inside anyway.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:42 pm 

Thanks for all the responses!

From what I can tell, the dice in the top pic are all somewhat marbled, probably due to poor quality rather than artistic choice.  they seem brittle, and the edges are rounding nicely.  The dice in the bottom pic are quite soft, and feel more plyable than the others.  I really like this set for some reason.  :)

I checked the Chainmail book, and the size is only slightly bigger than the booklets in the box set, so it would fit in there even if the box was in mint.

Im not familliar with the c c white  & holmes set.  these are d&d sets?  Im not too well knowledged.  Im sure I could find the answer somewhere here on the acaeum...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:22 pm 

Pennfarms wrote:Im not familliar with the c c white  & holmes set.  these are d&d sets?  Im not too well knowledged.  Im sure I could find the answer somewhere here on the acaeum...

C&C = Castles and Crusades, a Troll Lord RPG system.  C&C tries to capture the old-school feel of D&D.  Troll Lord put out a C&C boxed set a few years ago to pay homage to the white box set.

White box  = http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/original.html

Holmes set/blue box = http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/basic.html

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:25 pm 

Pennfarms wrote:Thanks for all the responses!

From what I can tell, the dice in the top pic are all somewhat marbled, probably due to poor quality rather than artistic choice.  they seem brittle, and the edges are rounding nicely.  The dice in the bottom pic are quite soft, and feel more plyable than the others.  I really like this set for some reason.  :)

I checked the Chainmail book, and the size is only slightly bigger than the booklets in the box set, so it would fit in there even if the box was in mint.

Im not familliar with the c c white  & holmes set.  these are d&d sets?  Im not too well knowledged.  Im sure I could find the answer somewhere here on the acaeum...

THE C&C White Box Plagg was speaking of is the recently released White Box Set for Castles and Crusades. (Came out in 2004).
It is similar in all respects to the White Box Set you have as to the overall design of the set.
(IE. physical contents, overall look, crayon and dice, 3 small books, and box structure).
However the game is a totally different system.

You will not find it listed on this site however.
Try Troll Lords Games and look under the link to C&C (Castles and Crusades)

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:10 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:In the top picture of the dice, the blue D12, red D6, and pink D20 looks like what came with the Basic D&D Holmes box set.
I still have mine around somewhere but the edges are somewhat worn.
If you rolled those babies on a hard surface you could see the flakes coming off them.  :P

Is it true that my set and the holmes set were released at the same time, hence the starburst on the white box?  So they could have been issuing the same dice to both sets?   

....that is if my white box set originally came with dice.  did they?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:08 am 

Pennfarms wrote:
Is it true that my set and the holmes set were released at the same time, hence the starburst on the white box?  So they could have been issuing the same dice to both sets?   

....that is if my white box set originally came with dice.  did they?

Mine never did.  Sold separetly :?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:22 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:Your minis look unbroken.  At 2008 values, I'm guessing at least dollar or two apiece.

*bump*

Based on recent and current eBay auctions, I humbly revise my WAG for Heritage prices:

. . . Humans - at least two dollars apiece
. . . Non-humans - at least three dollars apiece

If anyone cares, here's one eBay search to run under the Games category:

. . . (heritage,dwarfstar) -american.heritage -trivia -warhammer

and ignore anything from "collectorfigs", as his are inferior recasts.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:56 am 

Aneoth wrote:
The only print/edition of chainmail that I know of that will fit inside the Box Sets is the hybrid print of Chainmail 3rd Edition, which was also silver/grey cover, but was stapled, not with the Spiral bound, as the one above clearly is.

Perhaps some of them were smaller overall and will fit.
Of course, looking at that box, perhaps it will easily fit inside anyway.

I have a copy of the fourth printing of the 3rd Edition, and it fits inside my OCE box without coming close to touching the sides or top. In fact, its pretty close to being the same size as the OCE rule books and the supplements. Anyone else have a fourth printing they can confirm or refute?