5th Printing white box set OD&D
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:42 pm 

I have the 5th print version of this in excellent condition, but do not have reference sheets. In fact I don't remember them being included. Can anyone out there say for sure if these were included in this set? If so, what do you think a fair adjustment in value would be?
Many thanks

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:11 pm 

The Acaeum description for OD&D in general states:

The Reference Sheets booklet (actually, just loose pages stapled together), was exclusively available in the Original D&D Set.  Nearly every set we've heard about has a booklet with varying pages, from 6 to 12; as far as we know, each printing has the same info, only differing in format and number of pages.

So, I figured they were included in every printing - just, sometimes the page count is different.

[Edit]

I do have a spare Reference Sheet, if you needed it. :)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:10 pm 

I can't believe I missed the auction. I'm so depressed.  Thanks for offering the copies of the reference sheets Aneoth, but I was too late.  Sigh.  Now to look for a fourth ed.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:05 pm 

PaulKM wrote:I can't believe I missed the auction. I'm so depressed.  Thanks for offering the copies of the reference sheets Aneoth, but I was too late.  Sigh.  Now to look for a fourth ed.

Was happy to help and still will if it comes to it.

serleran's offer (if it still stands) is better though. He said that he has a spare set of reference sheets, while all I can do is scan my copies and send them by E-Mail (No charge of course).........

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:45 pm 

Still stands - I have no use for a reference sheet with no home. It came in a little lot of Holmes I bought, so it's basically just sitting on a bookshelf saying "serleran, don't you want buy me a box set?" And, I, of course, say "yes... but you cost too damn much, you mooch." :)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:10 am 

Two hours late, grrrr.

Too funny serleran.  At least they weren't screaming, "Feed me!"  

You are both incredibly kind.  Now if I can find a very nice 4th edition in similar condition...though I must say I am eyeing that massive, well-kept 6th ed. collection (with no reference sheets oddly enough. Where do they all go?)

Aneoth's PHB is also mesmerizing me;)  

Thanks, both.

Best,

Paul

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:55 am 

PaulKM wrote:Two hours late, grrrr.

Too funny serleran.  At least they weren't screaming, "Feed me!"  

You are both incredibly kind.  Now if I can find a very nice 4th edition in similar condition...though I must say I am eyeing that massive, well-kept 6th ed. collection (with no reference sheets oddly enough. Where do they all go?)

Aneoth's PHB is also mesmerizing me;)  

Thanks, both.

Best,

Paul

The reference sheets often were used afor scrap paper for notes during a game.
Folks then tossed them when they were full and grabbed something else to write on.
At least I know of one set that went out that way.
A friend had a white box set in the old days and he did that and abused the books and box too.
By the time it was a couple of years old the whole set looked like someone had drug it through a mud hole and then run it over with a car to be sure it was dead. :roll:

Even back then I had a bit more respect for the few books I had.
I eventually had a white box too, but during one of my many youthful location moves it vanished.

I too have been watching that 6th Edition set with all the Supplements included.
A very nice collection all in one listing.
Every book looks like it was just purchased yesterday.
This guy really did take excellent care of the items he has in that listing.
They are all about as good as they could possibly be.
The original invoice, and the coupon from the Dungeon Store in the same building as the old TSR offices and with that company being a Division of TSR Hobbies, is very intriguing, though to me not to the point that it would warrant a higher price.
Some would certainly feel otherwise I am sure.
One thing that puzzles me with the listing is the missing Reference Sheets.
All the care he obviously took with his stuff, the minty books, nice box, even the invoice and coupon yet no mention of reference sheets. :?

As for my PHB, we shall see how it does soon enough. It ends later today.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:11 am 

if you got yours at the dungeon hobby shop new it may not have included those sheets from what i remember it was hit or miss, sometimes books thrown willy nilly into the boxes on the spot.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:11 pm 

My white box is long gone( 4th ed.), and to be honest I cannot remember the reference sheets!  I kept everything in perfect condition on my "D&D shelves" right beside my desk.  That said, I did abuse the hell out of a few books and games in my teens.  I'm still trying to figure out why my Fiend Folio looks like a hamster's chew toy.

While I was at university in England, my mother's bookshop was hammered by the '90/1 recession, and she had to sell everything--the remainders from the bookstore ended up in her basement where the dealers bought in bulk.  Unfortunately my prized D&D, roleplaying, and comic collections were in carefully packed boxes in the same basement (I had the run of the mill books and some other things with me): some dealer walked away with some very, very nice things.  They left a few mini's, my dice, and a few modules.  I had no idea until 2002.

The 6th edition has attracted me because of the condition, the invoice is a nice touch.

Yes, the reference sheets!  That's why I mentioned them;) I too found it odd they were missing.  What do you think of the price for the lot?

It probably won't matter, I've missed two auction deadlines in two days, but I should ask the experts.

I may just have to plead for a mintyish 4th edition here:)

My list keeps growing, and your PHB and assortments Aneoth aren't helping!

Thanks for the information and advice, bloated, Aneoth.

Best,

Paul

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:07 pm 

Yes, thanks all for the offer of the reference sheets, I have emailed the buyer to let him know, but I get the impression he isn't too bothered.

I'm really sorry you missed the auction Paul, apart from the fact it may have pushed up the price a bit, it would have been nice to have sold to a collector on this site. The books really were in superb condition as well. virtually mint except from the staples. I wish you good luck with finding a good set.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:51 pm 

Scabrat,

Yes, I'm sorry I missed the auction as well. My life and my server are conspiring against me.

You edition looked great.  Cudo's to you.  

A shame we didn't meet here before it went up on eBay.  Hopefully, someone will have very, very fine, minty 4th edition and I can relax and stop whining.

All the best

Paul