Some opinions please?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:51 pm 

Hello everyone,

I do hope I'm not breaking any etiquette here by just barging in and posting. I apologise if I am!

I have just inherited my brother's D&D collection as he has set me the task of selling it, although not being familiar with D&D items, I'm not sure what kind of prices I should set it at on eBay. If I list the books I've found so far, would anyone be kind enough to give me a rough idea?

I also have about 8 boxes of figures as well, some of which look like complete sets.

Would be very grateful if anyone could help me out?

many thanks!
regards
Harlene

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:55 pm 

I'm sure various people can help out with this.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:53 pm 

Like with any collectible items very often condition determines the value, so if you do post a list make sure you make mention of what kind of shape it is in.

A good place to start for that is the grading page on this web site.

http://www.acaeum.com/frontdesk/grading.html

If you are asked to post pictures of the items, you might want to use a free image hosting service such as photobucket. Those site allow you to upload images and provides you links that you can use when you wish to post an image of an item.

http://photobucket.com/

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:55 pm 

If you post a list, the lease we can do is let you know which items are more desirable than others.  The list is a good place to start.  If you want to also take some pictures to give a general idea of condition, that would help too.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:54 pm 

thank you everyone! I shall make the list shortly and get back to you ASAP

:D

Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:48 pm 

OK I apologise for the length of this list - there was more than I thought and I've tried to include as much info as possible. I've also included a link to some photos.

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm133/HarleneDD/

It should let you straight in as it's a public album but if it does ask for a password = dragon

But here is the list of what I have:

Copies of The Journal. All fair condition, although some are better than others.

The Journal #14 Laws & Lawbreakers (published 1982)
The Journal #16 SuSAG (published 1983)
The Journal #17 Atmospheres (published 1983)
The Journal #18 Travelling Without Jumping (published 1983)
The Journal #19 Skyport Authority by John M Ford (published 1983)
The Journal #20 Prologue: Adventure in the Not So Far Future (published 1984)
The Journal #21 VARGR (published 1984)
The Journal #23 Road Show by John M Ford (published 1985)

The Best of The Journal Volume 2 (328) - Selected Articles from Journals 5-8 (published 1980/81)
The Best of The Journal Volume 3 (335) - Selected Articles from Journals 9-12 (published 1981/82)
The Best of The Journal Volume 4 (342) - Selected Articles Collected From Journals 13-16 (published 1982/83)

All Traveller:
Supplement 1: 1001 Characters (published 1978)
Supplement 2: Animal Encounters (published 1979)
Supplement 3: The Spinward Marches (published 1979)
Supplement 4: Citizens of the Imperium (published 1979)
Supplement 7: Traders and Gunboats (published 1980)
Supplement 8: Library Data (A-M) (published 1980/1)
Supplement 9: Fighting Ships (published 1981)
Supplement 10: The Solomani Rim (published 1982)
Supplement 11: Library Data (N-Z) (published 1982)
Supplement 13: Veterans (published 1983)

Adventure 1 (For Referees Only) The Kinunir (published 1979)
Adventure 2 (For Referees Only) Research Station Gamma (published 1980)
Adventure 4 (For Referees Only) Leviathan (published 1980)
Adventure 7 (For Referees Only) Broadsword (published 1982)
Adventure 10 (For Referees Only) Safari Ship (published 1984)
Adventure 12 (For Referees Only) Secret of the Ancients (published 1984)

Star Port Module Number One: Hotel Complex (published 1981 by FASA and approved for use with Traveller

Book 5: High Guard (published 1980) - there are two copies of this, one in fair condition, the other not so good.
Book 6: Scouts (published 1983)

‘Striker' box set -- box damaged but in fair condition. These are the Rules for 15mm Traveller Minitures. Box contains:

Rule Book 1: Basic Rules (published 1981)
Rule Book 2: Advanced Rules (published 1981)
Rule Book 3: Equipment (published 1981)
Design Sequence Tables

Snapshot: Close Combat Abroad Starships in the Far Future box set -- fair condition but I don't think this set is complete.  But box contains:

Vanguard Reaches (published 1981 Paranoid Press)
Action Abroad: Adventures on the King Richard (published 1981 by FASA)
Deck Plans for the King Richard
Rules Booklet: Snapshot (published 1979)
Deck Plans for Snapshot
Book 4: Mercenary (published 1978)

All advice/guidance would be gratefully received!
thanks,
Harlene

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:33 pm 

No D&D here....this stuff is all Traveller.

The supplements are worth a few bucks apiece.  I would sell them all in one lot.

The adventures are worth little more, with the exception of Adventure 12.  You could possibly get $15 - $20 out of that one depending on interest at the time.

The Hotel Complex starport module is pretty rare.  Not sure how much it goes for as I havent seen one in awhile.

Snapshot is worth about $10 or $15 (I assume the counters are missing).  However the items you have in the box dont go with it.  Vanguard Reaches, depending on the condition and if it has its map, will go for $20 or more.  Same with the Action Abroad: Adventures on the King Richard.  They dont come up for auction very often.

Striker goes for around $15 to $20 usually.

Book 4 Mercenary, book 5 High Guard, and book 6 Scouts are worth a few dollars apiece.  I would sell them in the same lot as the supplements.

The journals are worth a bit more than the supplements and adventures.  There are usually several of them up on Ebay at any given time to give you an idea of what something is worth.  If I was selling them I would lump them all into one lot as well.

Just my opinions though.  Good luck.

Edit:  I didnt see the photos before posting this.  The Snapshot is incomplete.  So is the Hotel Complex.  The majority of the items are not in very good condition so this will make them much harder to sell on their own.  If you are wanting to just get rid of them and make a bit of money, I suggest just selling it all in one lot.  Dont break it up.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:49 pm 

It's all Traveller stuff, which unfortunately has taken a nose dive recently. You do have a couple of interesting items.

Also, unfortunately, most of the stuff looks well ridden, which will bring down your top values.

About the Snapshot box:
Vanguard Reaches and Action Abroad and Book 4: Mercenary (also the book 4 in your striker box shouldn't be there) are not part of the set. Each of those is a separate item unto itself. Are there any cardboard playing pieces for your Snapshot? I don't see any in the picture. That will bring the value on this by a lot.

The top 3 items I see in the collection are the Vanguard Reaches, the Action Abroad, and the Hotel Complex books. These are from Paranoia Press, FASA and FASA. In very nice condition Vanguard Reaches could reach as much as 30+, but the one you have looks a little used, but I'd still expect it to break 10-15. There were much lower runs on the non-GDW stuff so thats why these tend to be higher. The two FASA books might reach 10 a book if you find the right buyer (maybe more, I've not seen the Hotel Complex up in the last 6 months or so), but I suspect expecting 5-10 is more probable. I would definitely suggest you list each of these individually.

In decent condition the Striker and Snapshot would get you 10-20 each, but the ones you have are in rough shape/incomplete, so who knows. Again, I'd list separately, and don't expect more than 5-10.

That leaves The Journals and the rest of the GDW Traveller books/supplements/adventures.

The Books look rough, especially the two coverless 4: Mercenary ones. I'm not sure you could sell them by themselves. I might throw them in with other books as a lot, they won't add much, if any, value. The 6: Scout book can do ok (5-10+), but the wear on your book will probably keep you in the 5-10 range, maybe less. I'd consider doing your best 4 along with the 6 as a lot.

The Supplements go all over the place. Supp 3 is very often a good seller 10-15. If you find the right buyer any one of the supplements can break 5 each, sometimes 10 or more. I'd list them all separately to get the max price on the ones people happen to be looking for. Then re-list any that don't sell in lots of 2 or 3.

The Adventures never seem to get very much 2-5 a piece. I wouldn't do more than a 2 or 3 piece lot though, as usually people are looking for 1 book and add no value to the other pieces in the lot they are looking for, but if you get lucky and have a 2 book lot that 2 different people are valuing 1 or both of the books highly, then you get a bidding war, which is what you are looking for.

I'll admit, my knowledge of the Journals is not very strong, maybe someone else can jump in and give you advice on those. The earliest Journals can do very well in great shape. Unfortunately, you are in the second year, and those don't do as well as the first 4 issues or so.

Overall my impression is that your collection is well loved and that means you won't be getting maximum pricing. If I had to ballpark it, I'd guess expect an avg of about 3-5 a book. Your box sets are in bad condition, unfortunately, don't expect much (I just recently got an unpunched complete version of Snapshot for $10 and $8 S&H, for example, I wouldn't pay nearly that much for either of the ones you have).

EDIT: Ha - Looks like KoP beat me to the punch. Looks like were in the same ballpark on things. I, personally, disagree about putting them all as one lot that will guarantee you won't see more than 2-3 a book. After you've gotten max value on the best items, then do lots, and even then I wouldn't go for more than 2 or 3 books in a lot.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:04 pm 

Busman wrote:EDIT: Ha - Looks like KoP beat me to the punch. Looks like were in the same ballpark on things. I, personally, disagree about putting them all as one lot that will guarantee you won't see more than 2-3 a book. After you've gotten max value on the best items, then do lots, and even then I wouldn't go for more than 2 or 3 books in a lot.

I didnt cover quite as much ground as you did busman.  I am a damn fast typer too.  :D

The condition of the books and incompleteness of a few items is the main reason that I would sell them all in one lot.  There is always the possibility that Harlene could get a couple of small-time collectors interested in Traveller to get into a bit of a bidding war to pick up a pretty decent sized lot for a good price.  And you can also take into consideration the size of the lot when adding up the price of shipping.  Big box and packing material add up to a few extra dollars for shipping and handling.  :wink:  I just dont think a lot of those supplements and adventures will sell.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:13 pm 

that is absolutely brilliant fellas, thanks very much! I did think some of this would be too battered to be worth a great deal but it's always worth a try!

Also thanks for setting me straight re: Traveller and D&D - I don't know the difference clearly!! (my brother was the RPG-er not me!)

I shall take these recommendations down and get them up on ebay at some point.

Thanks again!
Harlene

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:09 am 

Are both copies of High Guard published in 1980, or do you have one from 1979 and 1980?  There is a difference, which is why I ask.

Of the stuff you have here, the most valuable items (in perfect condition) would be Supplement 4 and the earlier edition of High Guard, if you in fact have one.  However, the fact they're in fair condition makes them not so valuable.  The Traveller Trader sells a good condition copy of 1001 Characters for $2.00.  Since yours is Fair, a step below Good, cut that value by about half.

For everything you have here...about a dollar a book unfortunately.  If in better condition they'd fetch more.  Not much more though at this time.  The copy of Striker though is of interest to me.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:48 am 

Traveller wrote:Are both copies of High Guard published in 1980, or do you have one from 1979 and 1980?  There is a difference, which is why I ask.

Of the stuff you have here, the most valuable items (in perfect condition) would be Supplement 4 and the earlier edition of High Guard, if you in fact have one.  However, the fact they're in fair condition makes them not so valuable.  The Traveller Trader sells a good condition copy of 1001 Characters for $2.00.  Since yours is Fair, a step below Good, cut that value by about half.

For everything you have here...about a dollar a book unfortunately.  If in better condition they'd fetch more.  Not much more though at this time.  The copy of Striker though is of interest to me.

Yes both the Book 5s are 1980 editions. I also have some Runequest figures, two sets in a box as well as Citdel minatures. A couple are sets and I have a couple of boxes with a lot of mixed stuff in (which I don't have a hope in Hades of cataloguing! Some have been painted and some haven't. Are these part of the Traveller stuff also? And as some of them are made from lead, can I sell these?

I've not really had a chance to look around this forum properly, but do you have a For Sale section? If not I could let you know when I list Striker on eBay?

thanks again fellas and I'm sorry for all the questions!

H

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:03 am 

harlene wrote:
Yes both the Book 5s are 1980 editions. I also have some Runequest figures, two sets in a box as well as Citdel minatures. A couple are sets and I have a couple of boxes with a lot of mixed stuff in (which I don't have a hope in Hades of cataloguing! Some have been painted and some haven't. Are these part of the Traveller stuff also? And as some of them are made from lead, can I sell these?

I've not really had a chance to look around this forum properly, but do you have a For Sale section? If not I could let you know when I list Striker on eBay?

H

IMO:
Your minis should be sold in lots as to the makers.
If the boxes are the "original" boxes that came with the minis, then I would sell those in individual lots as a box set.
Sell the minis with no original boxes in large lots.

The loose minis will typically get about $1/mini in larger lots.
While the minis that include "original" boxes the bids can up to triple that at times especially if your getting competing bidders.

Lead minis are legal to sell.
BUT, for the minins that you KNOW are made of lead I would mention this in the listing.
If you do not know, then say that instead.
Some newbie buyers might be buying these for little kids, not knowing any better.
Playing with lead minis for a few hours a month is unlikely to cause any damage, however, little ones might stick them in thier mouth as a chew toy.
NOT GOOD.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:12 am 

Aneoth wrote:
IMO:
Your minis should be sold in lots as to the makers.
If the boxes are the "original" boxes that came with the minis, then I would sell those in individual lots as a box set.
Sell the minis with no original boxes in large lots.

The loose minis will typically get about $1/mini in larger lots.
While the minis that include "original" boxes the bids can up to triple that at times especially if your getting competing bidders.

Lead minis are legal to sell.
BUT, for the minins that you KNOW are made of lead I would mention this in the listing.
If you do not know, then say that instead.
Some newbie buyers might be buying these for little kids, not knowing any better.
Playing with lead minis for a few hours a month is unlikely to cause any damage, however, little ones might stick them in thier mouth as a chew toy.
NOT GOOD.

yes I would have mentioned the 'lead issue' but thanks for confirming. I think I have gathered enough info from you chaps so once again my thanks! I will post links to the auctions in the For Sale bit once they are up in case anyone is interested in acquiring.

thanks all!  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:15 am 

harlene wrote:

H

You can post a link to your ebay auction, I know I'd be interested in the lot, especially Striker.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:39 am 

Yup, you could post the List of links in the Classifieds section of this forum.
I suspect that many members here would be interested in the lots you will be placing up for auction.

Best of luck and happy selling. 8)

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:42 pm 

I take it all you striker chaps missed the nearly pristine version that just went off yesterday for $22.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:18 pm 

I don't need a pristine copy, but a playing copy, and Harlene's would do just fine for that purpose.

Harlene, you could post Striker in the classifieds when you post it on ebay, or you can accept offers from the two of us that are apparently interested in your copy rather than go through the bulls#!^ of ebay.

Next