The Fantasy Trip - Complete Set
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2737
Joined: May 31, 2007
Last Visit: Mar 22, 2021

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:57 am 
 

Just curious what a complete set of everything produced for TFT would run for, approximately. Assume everything has its boxes and contents, and is not-rogerd shape (but not necessarily near mint -- that is, they have been played.)

Pretty cool game, too, I think.


Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6075
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 19, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:01 pm 
 

What all is included in a "complete set"?

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2737
Joined: May 31, 2007
Last Visit: Mar 22, 2021

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:09 pm 
 

Melee

Wizard

In the Labyrinth

Advanced Melee

Advanced Wizard

Death Test

Death Test 2

Grail Quest

Treasure of the Silver Dragon

Security Station

Treasure of Unicorn Gold

Master of the Amulets

Orb Quest

Tollenkar's Lair

The Warrior Lords of Darok

The Forest Lords of Dihad

The Fantasy Master's Codex

The Game Master's Screen

Dragons of the Underearth

Lords of Underearth

Interplay #8

Fantasy Forum #1 - 10

Inept Adept #1 and #2

Goblin Keep #1 and #2

Vindicator #1 - #8

That is it, as far as I know, not counting things that might be correlated.


Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 341
Joined: May 18, 2008
Last Visit: Aug 03, 2008

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:49 pm 
 

serleran wrote:Melee

Wizard

In the Labyrinth

Advanced Melee

Advanced Wizard

Death Test

Death Test 2

Grail Quest

Treasure of the Silver Dragon

Security Station

Treasure of Unicorn Gold

Master of the Amulets

Orb Quest

Tollenkar's Lair

The Warrior Lords of Darok

The Forest Lords of Dihad

The Fantasy Master's Codex

The Game Master's Screen

Dragons of the Underearth

Lords of Underearth

Interplay #8

Fantasy Forum #1 - 10

Inept Adept #1 and #2

Goblin Keep #1 and #2

Vindicator #1 - #8

That is it, as far as I know, not counting things that might be correlated.


Haven't seen a lot of these on ebay in awhile so it is hard to judge current market value. $20+ apiece minimum.  Couldn't guess on on high some might go.

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2117
Joined: Jul 25, 2007
Last Visit: Jul 28, 2021
Location: Far Harad, Texas

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:00 pm 
 

JZavoda wrote: $20+ apiece minimum..


That's about right, although you might find the boxed games for a little less & the books for a little more. I don't think there are any true rarities. Forest Lords of Dihad is still available for $5 here:
http://www.diffworlds.com/gamelords_other.htm

  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:37 pm 
 

serleran wrote:Vindicator #1 - #8

:) That's my old newsletter!

Do people actually sell these? Good lord. If I could find the files, I'd print some more out and give them away for free (sadly, the files might be toast ... I don't even own the same software that I used back then).

 WWW  


Active Collector

Posts: 78
Joined: Sep 02, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 10, 2019
Location: Los Angeles

Post Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:23 am 
 

serleran wrote:Fantasy Forum #1 - 10

Inept Adept #1 and #2

Goblin Keep #1 and #2

Vindicator #1 - #8

That is it, as far as I know, not counting things that might be correlated.


FYI, Vindicator actually ran for a total of 15 issues, though they had the most bizarre numbering scheme imaginable. It starts out with Vol. 1 (edited by Michael Friend), Nos. 1-4. Then, for some bizaare reason it continues with 5a, 5b, and 5c; then goes on to 6a, 6b, 6c (?!?). WEIRD. Vol II (edited by Duke Ritenhouse - I presume based on Xaxaxe's response that they are one and the same [?]) is a bit more normal, going for only five issues before disaster struck (descibed in sad detail on the Microgame forum on Yahoo) and Vindicator went to the great gaming table beyond.

BTW - I bet you got the issue 1-8 count off of wikipedia, right? Sorry about that; when I orignally wrote that I had been misled into believing there were only eight issues. My bad. Also, the counts for FF, IA, and GK might be wrong, too, as my sources are more than a little squirrelly. Wish these folks would just put this up on Lulupress so they can make money, and we can get these extremely hard to find materials.

If you're looking at Vindicator from a TFT perspective, there are really only three articles (well, actually two, but one article was very long and split into two parts) that actually are for the game. TFT is certainly mentioned in some articles that list published and proposed material, but those are not TFT specific.

I might be able to help with some of what you're looking for. I have duplicates of Vindicator Vol. I, Nos. 1-4 and several Interplays (don't recall which ones offhand). PM me if you're interested.

  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:27 pm 
 

Charles G. wrote:Vol II (edited by Duke Ritenhouse - I presume based on Xaxaxe's response that they are one and the same [?]) is a bit more normal, going for only five issues before disaster struck (descibed in sad detail on the Microgame forum on Yahoo) and Vindicator went to the great gaming table beyond.

They are one and the same.

Was it only five issues I published? I thought it was six. I have almost no records at all from that time due to the fabled hard-drive crash ... just bits and pieces of stuff here and there.

The irony of the whole Vindicator experience is that it would have made a perfect blog ... but this was 1997-1998 and no one had ever heard of such a thing. In fact, if I was to ever re-start Vindicator, it's an iron-clad guarantee that it would be web-based.

I liked being a publisher; I hated worrying about mailing lists and printing. Bleh.

 WWW  


Active Collector

Posts: 78
Joined: Sep 02, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 10, 2019
Location: Los Angeles

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:07 pm 
 

Xaxaxe wrote:They are one and the same.

Was it only five issues I published? I thought it was six. I have almost no records at all from that time due to the fabled hard-drive crash ... just bits and pieces of stuff here and there.

The irony of the whole Vindicator experience is that it would have made a perfect blog ... but this was 1997-1998 and no one had ever heard of such a thing. In fact, if I was to ever re-start Vindicator, it's an iron-clad guarantee that it would be web-based.

I liked being a publisher; I hated worrying about mailing lists and printing. Bleh.


Just chanced across this reply - sorry I didn't respond sooner but at the time we had a family emergency and so my web presence was rather spotty.

You know, if you had scans of the issues (something I'm working on now) you could just put the whole thing up on Lulupress. Indeed, that might solve alot of publishing/printing/mailing list problems.

Sadly, they weren't around either when you were dealing with the Vindicator mess...

  


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2044
Joined: Aug 28, 2006
Last Visit: Mar 11, 2021
Location: Tashkent, Uzbekistan

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:58 pm 
 

Seems people are indifferent to the Wiki. I just posted on this yesterday on the Wiki news thread. We have an excellent TFT resource on the Acaeum and have been monitoring prices:

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Prices:The_Fantasy_Trip
http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Gallery:The_Fantasy_Trip
http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/About:The_Fantasy_Trip

If you are interested serl, you could even take over the price monitoring on this. It is a simple matter of entering an auction number and selecting the item from a drop down list. The Auction tracker automatically records the end price and enters in into the price list.

  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:54 am 
 

Charles G. wrote:You know, if you had scans of the issues (something I'm working on now) you could just put the whole thing up on Lulupress.

The sad irony is that I don't even have all the pages that I published. I've got bits and pieces of various issues; it's one of those cases where I always assumed I'd have "another copy somewhere."

BTW, if anyone ever does want to scan these, post them, make pretty hats out of them, or whatever, please do so with my blessing. I make absolutely no claim to any copyright. I did write one long "history of Metagaming" piece that I hoped to have published (and I think I did originally print it with a copyright disclaimer), but that day has come and gone ... as have 95 percent of the gaming magazines that were around back then.

 WWW  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1