Sales Instructions in Last Will
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:31 am 

I think I like that the collection will be show to others so open one of the first french RPG museum. I don't know if a museum like this exists in France but it would be a good starting point if other collectors died in the same year  :twisted:
Yes, definitively a RPG museum (but a very small museum... I don't have an enormous collection)

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:33 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:I am immortal, and so have no need to worry.

Best stay on holy ground then, because there can be only one! :twisted:

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:49 am 

Sorry Aneoth,

Please see my most recent post (Auction Strategy) for reasons why I would not move to Texas.

However, I could tolerate a short visit (next year's North Texas Acaeum meeting and barbeque).

Martin

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:48 pm 

My survivors will call Aaron of Noble Knight and make arrangements.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:21 pm 

It's best to do a little planning. I know a few horror stories about unattended collections of rpgs, comics and sports cards. Silver age comics being put in the trash, RPGs dumped at flea markets and garage sales for a song... a couple of years ago on ebay a woman was selling off her husbands gaming stuff, he had three sheds full of the stuff and she'd dumpstered two of them before putting the rest up on ebay. Back then it was all going cheap but at least she was getting something for it, but tons and tons of oddball independent rpg fanzine, games, modules, from the 70's and early 80's. I shudder to think of what she threw away.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:18 am 

I have thought about this a couple of times (I'm 40 since May, 10) but I couldn't find a satisfactory answer. Hmmm... if there was a reliable insitution in Italy about games and gaming, I'd will everything (games and magazines) to them. I could leave it to a club, assuming it's a reliable club and does not consider my toys a nice way to raise cash  :?  Meh... I will be forced not to die perhaps :)

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:54 am 

Alexander1968 wrote:I have thought about this a couple of times (I'm 40 since May, 10) but I couldn't find a satisfactory answer. Hmmm... if there was a reliable insitution in Italy about games and gaming, I'd will everything (games and magazines) to them. I could leave it to a club, assuming it's a reliable club and does not consider my toys a nice way to raise cash  :?  Meh... I will be forced not to die perhaps :)

good point alessandro: afaik there is no players association in italy (nor it has been in the past)... we might think on this and possibly work out smtg...
any idea/suggestion?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:10 am 

I have arranged a space burial for my items. I will put them in a capsule and shoot them towards the next galaxy, so millions of years after the earth has ceased to be, my collection will still be pleasantly drifting through space. :alien:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:37 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I have arranged a space burial for my items. I will put them in a capsule and shoot them towards the next galaxy, so millions of years after the earth has ceased to be, my collection will still be pleasantly drifting through space. :alien:

Billions of years (hopefully)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:35 am 

I actually picked up several of the woman's items, J. She had a stupendous amount of stuff.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:23 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:I actually picked up several of the woman's items, J. She had a stupendous amount of stuff.

:cry:

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:17 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I have arranged a space burial for my items. I will put them in a capsule and shoot them towards the next galaxy, so millions of years after the earth has ceased to be, my collection will still be pleasantly drifting through space. :alien:

The good news. The drifting part of your master plan is true enough. At least until/if the capsule is pulled into the range of gravity for some large object and crashes onto a planet, a star, a blackhole, a large asteroid, or into some other large drifting object.

The bad news. The printed papers inside the capsule will all be dust in a few hundred years anyway and the dust is what will be drifting about.

So would it not be better then to simply give it all away so that someone could enjoy it all while it is still paper and not dust?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:37 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:I actually picked up several of the woman's items, J. She had a stupendous amount of stuff.

I know I bought as much as I could from her. She was nice but pretty bitter about her husbands collecting (from what I remember) and if she'd hung onto it for another couple of years she would have had an immense fortune in games.

Then again some of the stuff I've sold over the years has gone on to be worth a gazillion dollars (and it runs in the family, my Mom collected comics when she was a kid. Action #1, etc.. and turned them all in at a WWII paper drive so that they could be pulped and made into cardboard packaging for K-rations).

The key thing is not to make the same mistakes twice if youy can help it. There are time to buy and times to sell (comics were a buyers market for the last several years, might still be one, but I've been out of that for a long time).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:39 am 

Aneoth wrote:
The good news. The drifting part of your master plan is true enough. At least until/if the capsule is pulled into the range of gravity for some large object and crashes onto a planet, a star, a blackhole, or into someother drifting object.

The bad news. The printed papers inside the capsule will all be dust in a few hundred years anyway and the dust is what will be drifintg about.

So would it not be better then to simply give it all away so that someone could enjoy it all while it is still paper and not dust?

Well it is a good thing then that in space no one can hear a future rpg collector scream.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:42 pm 

My wife knows the importance of recycling paper products.  I'm sure when I die, the collection will be on the curb.

If you don't hear from me for a few months, I suggest dropping by and rummaging on Wednesday night before the city workers haul it off between 6 and 11pm.  :lol:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:50 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:My wife knows the importance of recycling paper products.  I'm sure when I die, the collection will be on the curb.

If you don't hear from me for a few months, I suggest dropping by and rummaging on Wednesday night before the city workers haul it off between 6 and 11pm.  :lol:

Hey, that's the way I got my silver age collection of Marvel comics.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:02 pm 

I don't have a formal will, but do have a Word doc with some suggestions.

The family has been instructed to get a price from the best local game store and to get suggestions from here, then do whichever they think is best.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:45 pm 

In case of any unfortunate event befalling you, please consider my climate controlled, smoke free, mildew free, hair free (yea, I'm bald), home for wayward games.  I give you my word that your games will be given a comfortable and even pampered abode, fully integrating with friends, old and new, who already call my collection home.

If the need to care for your loved-ones ever arises for any reasons, please know my door is always open.

:P

PreviousNext