Sales Instructions in Last Will
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:10 pm 

No, this isn't an RPG about undertakers. I just wondered if all the collectors here have left some instructions in their wills on how to sell their collections off after they're gone.

I know I want my stuff piled around me with the bodies of my enemies at my feet before they toss on the torches, but I've seen and heard some really horrific actions taken by families to rare and valuable collections.

Any suggestions? Inventory/price lists? Recommended dealers, web-sites? Methods of sale for the clueless and unititiated. Anyone leaving other gamers some of their gems in their wills? Splitting the collection up amongst the kids?

(Just been revising my will so the question came up).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:32 pm 

JZavoda wrote:No, this isn't an RPG about undertakers. I just wondered if all the collectors here have left some instructions in their wills on how to sell their collections off after they're gone.

I know I want my stuff piled around me with the bodies of my enemies at my feet before they toss on the torches, but I've seen and heard some really horrific actions taken by families to rare and valuable collections.

Any suggestions? Inventory/price lists? Recommended dealers, web-sites? Methods of sale for the clueless and unititiated. Anyone leaving other gamers some of their gems in their wills? Splitting the collection up amongst the kids?

(Just been revising my will so the question came up).

As there is very little interest in my family for anything except a few TSR related items (sentimental value to my brothers) my wife has instructions to bring my entire collection to Gencon and auction it off.  The money can go to pay off bills and pay into college funds for grandkids. That's going to be one hell of a Gencon auction that year!

Several years ago I came upon quite a load of valuable stuff at a local Half Price Books.  The story I got from an employee is that a collector died and his brother just brought everything in and got rid of it.  If you know the cheap ass prices HPB pays you'll understand what a moronic thing that was. I don't think my relatives would do something that insane but I've told everyone in my family my wishes (auction it at Gencon) just to avoid them losing a lot of money.  Besides with the money they will make, free trip for them to bring it there and auction it!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:37 pm 

I plan to have it hidden away in a series of booby-trapped caverns & tunnels. The clues to its location are revealed by code through my Acaeum posts.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:41 pm 

i have something written up which i put in place last year, when i went on the marathon des sables, "just in case". certain items go to my children, because i want them to have it. and the rest, my family has instructions to have it all sent to a friend, who will sell it, take a small commission for the messing around (sum agreed), the rest is to be placed in trust for my kids, with everything else that will be liquadated, for when they turn 21 - an equal share.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:59 pm 

My collection, at present, is not much to worry about - my yummy gets it, and can do whatever she wants with it. She is a gamer/collector (she is more of a completest than I am,) and will likely keep the best items, and then pass them along to the munchkins, if we get any. If both of us go at once, it depends on if any of the kids expressed interest - if not, then the non-good stuff will be pulped - the rest goes into perpetual traveling via the museum.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:50 pm 

I've thought about this... but of course haven't done any thing yet.. I would suggest that you first catalogue everything making special note of the really expensive items, but also make it know either through your will or personally that they stuff isn't "junk" and is worth a bit of $$, I would put aprice on anything as prices change... I'm thinking of either giving pointers to this site and/or certain select people (aaron of noble knight etc) that can "help" in its selling it off... most of my collection (most;) is online so every one knows what I have anyway... I suspect that the Aussie stuff will go to the Natiuonal Libary (with the extras being sold off).. My partner has no interest in the stuff and the artwork is not to her liking either and she has little idea of its true worth of items in the collection..

I also expect to write my own eulogy announcing my demise which she will probably post online interoducing herself to everyone (so be nice!) LOL...

I remember a lovely lady in Canada that sold off her partners collection a couple of years ago...

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:24 am 

man, i am 33 and i havent yet planned such things...

hope that my wife wont give all my collection away for free... (since we're on the topic, i will tell this to her, tnx)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:25 am 

My wife may add to it :D  :lol:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:34 am 

There's an inventory with my collection (that I must update), which includes rough valuations and the telephone numbers/email addresses of a couple of people for her to contact to buy the whole lot.

My kids aren't interested in it (though they will have the few miniatures I am accumulating currently I'm sure), and my wife actively dislikes gaming stuff so it's unlikely to be treasured for long.

(My collection is (securely) boxed up in my attic, with only a select few bits and bobs readily to hand. If my wife realised just how much stuff I had accumulated she would probably kill me herself anyway :roll:  :lol: )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:52 am 

gyg wrote:There's an inventory with my collection (that I must update), which includes rough valuations and the telephone numbers/email addresses of a couple of people for her to contact to buy the whole lot.

cant remember if you ahve already done in your last update, but, as a reminder, pls consider to put my name aside the record "Up the garden path"... do you need my phone number for that, or did i already give it for the record of your woody?  :roll:

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:41 am 

No will, only told one of my brothers to sell everything individually.  Course thats barring right now.  Would love to hand all this down to any children I have and enjoy it for a very long time before that.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:58 am 

All going to the kids, that's why I buy three of everything decent. If they want to keep it, sell it, throw it away I leave that to them to decide. My eldest will soon be approaching the age where I can introduce her to RPG. Blue rules and B1 will be our first game. Can't wait, she has the sort of mind I think will thrive on all things RPG. Plus I want to get her away from that damn anti-social Nintendo DS, "But Daddy - everyone at school has one!" We worry about $50 bids for a B2 but these mindless game cartridges cost $60 - $80 a pop and will be worthless in just a couple of years. Makes me wonder what future generations will be able to collect in an age of cheap copies and digital confetti. Dusty old books filled with goodness - can't beat them, will never be able to beat them.

[EDIT]: Would never make a will because I'd die the next day for sure.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:10 am 

I have printed the auction slips for most of everything I have purchased on E-Bay, especially recently.
Those printouts are placed into the protective bag, or inside the box, along with the item itself.

I have asked a friend to sell my RPG items for me if anything should happen.
The wife knows this and him, I have also informed her of the rough value of the more expensive items.
For which I have printed recent E-Bay listings for placing inside that items bag or box.
I have told her that the items I have might not sell for as much, but to expect something close.

And the comics, which are not that valuable individually, but there are three comics boxes full.
Still, she might get a few dollars there too.
Same friend (I think) can sell that stuff too.

She gets to spend the money on her new guy I suppose.
Of course it wont go that far since most of the value is in just a few items.
The rest is just cheap stuff.

I also have the Pro football card and memorabilia collection.
Cards (Many Thousands of them), photos (some signed), footballs (Signed), mini helmets (signed), Emmitt Smith Jersey (Signed, and framed, with certificate), etc....
I am unsure how to get rid of that collection.
It would take too much time to sell it all, unless she found one buyer for the entire collection.
My Football collection is more extensive (more valuable too) than the Fantasy RPG collection I once had.
Certainly more than the few RPG items I have now.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Thu May 29, 2008 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:14 am 

I honestly havent thought about what would happen to my collection if I died.  My wife knows that it has worth so she wouldnt just toss it or give it away.  If Badmike is still around she will probably get his opinion of what to do with it and he would end up buying it off her for a 10th of what it is actually worth.  :lol:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:51 am 

My collection is deeded in my Will to go to my DM's kids.

Martin

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:55 am 

I've had a new will done up only a few weeks ago.

All goes to my girls and soon-to-be-bub. Wife knows the gear is worth $ and knows this site for reference (also has a certain Brit's email address as well for guidance on the rares :wink: )

Hopefully it will be kept until the kids are old enough to enjoy playing it, or be at a stage where they want to build on the collection.

But I plan to live forever anyway  :lol:

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:37 am 

Prufrock wrote:My collection is deeded in my Will to go to my DM's kids.

Martin

Please move to north Texas, I wnat to be your new DM. 8)

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:25 am 

I am immortal, and so have no need to worry.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Next