OD&D 2nd printing Books
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:55 pm 

I have Men and Magic, Monsters and Treasure, and Underworld and Wilderness Adventures from the 2nd printing woodgrain box set. They are all clean with very faint tanning at the edge of the pages. Everything is intact. They have a previous owner's name stamped on the title pages (very small). Otherwise, these things look almost new, with no tears, creases, etc. The drawback is no box...

Any idea what they are worth without the box?

Thanks!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:27 am 

No real clue, but OCE's go for 15-30 by themselves, depending upon condition. I could see double that for these, easily; especially the M&M with the different cover. As an upper limit guess, I'd be pretty surprised to see someone drop $200 a piece for them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:24 am 

Busman wrote:No real clue, but OCE's go for 15-30 by themselves, depending upon condition. I could see double that for these, easily; especially the M&M with the different cover. As an upper limit guess, I'd be pretty surprised to see someone drop $200 a piece for them.

$30-600 is a pretty wide range. :o

Sans box, sans ref. sheets, sans photo, $300-400 sounds like a reasonable starting area from which to work up/down.
The main drive helping that should be if someone has a box set with ref/correction sheets, but "used" books; possibly missing the centre pages, given the printer. Such a buyer would probably pay more than someone looking to pick up the books in the "hope" that they might get the box and sheets at a later date, or just for the books in their own right.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:54 pm 

Thanks for the feedback guys. I bought the 3 books from an Amazon seller for the purpose of having play copies of the books. The item description simply said they were in good shape, but didn't indicate the printing. So I figured they were a later print and 75 bucks seemed like a decent price for the shape they were in so I bought them. I was very surprised to find out that these were the 2nd printing!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:02 pm 

faro wrote:$30-600 is a pretty wide range. :o

Good thing my range was only 60-200 per book then.  :wink:

I think you'd be doing very well to find the one person in the world who has a 2nd printing box and is looking to upgrade books or the like. If you find that person, more importantly the two people each looking for it, then your top end could get up to that 200+ range.

I'd expect less than to about 100 each, honestly, unless you find the right buyer(s).