Signed Third Printing Brown Box
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:28 pm 

I have a Third Printing Brown Box signed by both Gary Gygax and Dave
Arneson. Gary signed it at GenCon in 2003 and Dave signed it at GenCon in 2004. (IIRC). They signed the box and all the booklets seperately (including the reference sheets.) Any idea of the value? Or did I decrease the value getting it signed? Just wondering as I don't intend to sell it.
I also have a First Print Greyhawk signed by both. Any ideas on that as well?

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:08 am 

Greetings!
Well, i would reccomend you to check your item just to determine the overall conditions and then look up here:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/rulebooks.html

ref to the signatures, i'd estimate the author signature between 5% and 10% increase in fair value... if you have both authors on it (and considering that EGG is not anymore within us), you could raise the price by 25%... but this is a personal opinion!

cheers

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:05 am 

that said though, some DON'T like these kinda things signed and believe it decreases the value.

its all dependant on who/who doesnt want it.

Al

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:42 am 

slbyron wrote:I have a Third Printing Brown Box signed by both Gary Gygax and Dave
Arneson. Gary signed it at GenCon in 2003 and Dave signed it at GenCon in 2004. (IIRC). They signed the box and all the booklets seperately (including the reference sheets.) Any idea of the value? Or did I decrease the value getting it signed? Just wondering as I don't intend to sell it.

Many people don't like having things signed at all.  However, Gary's signature likely rose in value after he passed on.  So regardless of whether the signature hurt the value in 2003, it's likely a more valuable object than it was three months ago.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:09 am 

slbyron wrote:I have a Third Printing Brown Box signed by both Gary Gygax and Dave

Can you imagine having hall-of-fame NFL stars sign their valuable rookie cards, that WERE (before the signing) worth hundreds of dollars? The signature immediatly makes the card grade much lower. There has been debate over that sort of thing in the sports card collecting hobby for many years and I suspect in Comic book collecting as well. While a game worn jersy autographed with proof (Certified) can increase the value of that jersey by ten times or more.

IMO:  Niether the woodie 3rd print box set or the First Print Greyhawk are likely to go down in value with the autographs. I think Gary's Autograph in the next few months and perhaps for the rest of recorded time will be highly collectbale. But keep this in mind. He was known to be very approachable by folks asking him to autograph things, so it is not as if a GG autograph is rare. By the same token I also do not think those autographs will INCREASE the overall value of those items either. For me, the signatures are almost a non-factor as to collectablity and value on RARE collectables, though I would prefer they were not there at all.

As a collector, if I had a nice (or minty) First print of anything I would not want to have the author (or anyone else) sign it. Not that I do not like having them sign stuff for me, I would rather that signature be on a nice copy of a second or later print. I prefer that all of my First print collectors grade items to be clean, crisp, minty, and free of any writing at all. I do not always get what I want, but many times I do in that regard.

As an aside: I NEVER place my own name or initials on ANY of my D&D Stuff. Everyone who sees my stuff know its mine and my valuable collectors items never leave the house anyway. The other common stuff can easily be replaced and the common items aint worth fighting a friend over and I dont play RPG's with strangers, so whats the point of defacing your stuff?

In the end though, whether autographs make items more or less valuable, is for the CURRENT owner to decide.

The words in this post are my opinions and as such are worth nuttin.....
But then free advice is often worth every cent spent.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Tue May 20, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:14 am 

Sentimental value = increase.

Market value = mixed; could increase (some people collect signed items) or it could decrease (damaged item)

Personally, if I had something that was autographed (which I do have some things), I wouldn't care what they were worth, because they are worth more than I could get, or want -- like my OD&D books signed by Gary, in his house, after we'd played a game together. Memories like that aren't for sale.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:35 am 

serleran wrote:Sentimental value = increase.

Market value = mixed; could increase (some people collect signed items) or it could decrease (damaged item)

Personally, if I had something that was autographed (which I do have some things), I wouldn't care what they were worth, because they are worth more than I could get, or want -- like my OD&D books signed by Gary, in his house, after we'd played a game together. Memories like that aren't for sale.

Well stated.
And the author of this thread stated as much himself.
He will likely never sell either the woodie or the Greyhawk, he was just wondering what they are worth.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:00 pm 

Signatures tend to devaluate, at least amongst collectors, and those are the ones who would buy it.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:06 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Signatures tend to devaluate, at least amongst collectors, and those are the ones who would buy it.

I agree with this statement, I personally hate signitures.  Why not have a signed document to go with the item and not mess up the collectable.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:38 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
I agree with this statement, I personally hate signitures.  Why not have a signed document to go with the item and not mess up the collectable.

but then i guess if the person isnt selling it, it doesnt matter wither way though?

:)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:14 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
but then i guess if the person isnt selling it, it doesnt matter wither way though?

:)

Yes you are correct about that :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!