Avalon Hill  Perilous Lands Books
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:52 pm 
 

I recently obtained several Avalon Hill Books that are Fantasy related.
Have not had a chance to read through them yet, but here are the basics.
All six books are stapled, paper books with covers reminiscent of Judges Guild, though the artwork is (IMO) better, though it is all in B&W.

The first two are titled "Perilous Lands"
The Culture Book-Y-2267 (Date 2/85) (Another number: 8522001)
The Site Book-Y-2268 (Date 2/85)

The next four books are each titled "Powers and Perils":
Book One-The Character Book  Y-3294 (9/84)
Book Two-The Combat and Magic Book   Y-3205 (9/84)
Book Three-The Creature Book   Y-3296 (9/84)
Book Four-The Book of Human Encounters and Treasure   Y-3297 (9/84)

Anyone know anything about these books?

From first glance, they look to be a completely different world and game setting for fantasy RPG's with a different rules system unrelated to other similar fantasy game systems.


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM


Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Wed May 14, 2008 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2737
Joined: May 31, 2007
Last Visit: Dec 30, 2020

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:00 pm 
 

The four Powers and Perils books (Books 1-4) are from the Powers and Perils box set. It is a fairly detailed game of its own and not particularly difficult to find (though it took me a little time to do so, because I wasn't looking too hard.) Probably worth around $5 - 15 but more if it was complete (maybe up to $25 - 40, depending.) In some ways, P&P is like Rolemaster - very detail-oriented.

I don't think I have those other ones... so I don't know about them. Would have to dig through my stuff.


Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4475
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 19, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:06 pm 
 

Aneoth wrote:I recently obtained several Avalon Hill Books that are Fantasy related.
Have not had a chance to read through them yet, but here are the basics.
All six books are stapled, paper books with covers reminiscent of Judges Guild, though the artwork is (MIO) better, though it is all in B&W.

The first two are titled "Perilous Lands"
The Culture Book-Y-2267 (Date 2/85) (Another number: 8522001)
The Site Book-Y-2268 (Date 2/85)

The next four books are each titled "Powers and Perils":
Book One-The Character Book  Y-3294 (9/84)
Book Two-The Combat and Magic Book   Y-3205 (9/84)
Book Three-The Creature Book   Y-3296 (9/84)
Book Four-The Book of Human Encounters and Treasure   Y-3297 (9/84)

Anyone know anything about these books?

From first glance, they look to be a completely different world and game setting for fantasy RPG's with a different rules system unrelated to other similar fantasy game systems.


Powers and Perils - Boxed set. It consists of those 4 books and a fifth book describing an adventure set in Mordara County.  Perilous Lands - boxed Set has 3 books, The Map Book, and your two listed.

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2737
Joined: May 31, 2007
Last Visit: Dec 30, 2020

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:18 pm 
 

Ahh. so that is the missing component. Perilous Lands. Thanks, Shane. I'll need to find one of those, too. At least, then, I'll have a complete game system.

If you're curious, Aneoth, P&P consists of:

Powers and Perils (box set)
Perilous Lands (box set)
Book of Tables (box set)
Tower of the Dead (box set)


Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:43 am 
 

Thanks very much for the information guys.

I read through Book One of Powers and Perils (Characters) last night and it is VERY much detail oriented.

Although races for PC's are limited to only four choices, Character creation is seemingly very time consuming. There are many steps to create any base character and each is detailed even to his kin and familiar contacts (Socially, professionally, politically, religeously, etc.). instead of 6 abilities to keep track of there are 10....
Strength
Stamina
Dexterity
Agility
Intellegence
Will
Eloquince
Empathy
Constitution
Apperance

Any PC could also start with Special Atributes (Abilities) such as Supernatural Stamina, or Battle Fury (Sort of like Barbarian Rage).

In addition, there are at least 10 more detailed steps to create a Magic User. Beginning with them being either innate magic-users or clasically trained. Then you must determine how much Mana he has to start with and which realm of magic he uses (Somtimes a PC will be allowed to use magic from more than one realm). It goes on from there.

All that is from the first few pages of the book.
Those guys at Avalon Hill sure did pack a lot into 44 pages of rules.....
And thats just book one.................

WOWSERS............


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  


Verbose Collector

Posts: 1324
Joined: May 28, 2007
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2011
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:29 am 
 

I seem to recall that one of the last issues of Heroes (AH's house RPG mag for a short period) included BASIC code to automate a lot of the Powers & Perils character creation.  (BASIC.  Heh.  Now there's a blast from the past.)

That magazine is the only place I've ever encountered anything P&P related, but I have to say that I was more than a little intimidated by the stat blocks for the characters. :D


"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7942
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 19, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:53 am 
 

Aneoth wrote:Thanks very much for the information guys.

I read through Book One of Powers and Perils (Characters) last night and it is VERY much detail oriented.

Although races for PC's are limited to only four choices, Character creation is seemingly very time consuming. There are many steps to create any base character and each is detailed even to his kin and familiar contacts (Socially, professionally, politically, religeously, etc.). instead of 6 abilities to keep track of there are 10....
Strength
Stamina
Dexterity
Agility
Intellegence
Will
Eloquince
Empathy
Constitution
Apperance

Any PC could also start with Special Atributes (Abilities) such as Supernatural Stamina, or Battle Fury (Sort of like Barbarian Rage).

In addition, there are at least 10 more detailed steps to create a Magic User. Beginning with them being either innate magic-users or clasically trained. Then you must determine how much Mana he has to start with and which realm of magic he uses (Somtimes a PC will be allowed to use magic from more than one realm). It goes on from there.

All that is from the first few pages of the book.
Those guys at Avalon Hill sure did pack a lot into 44 pages of rules.....
And thats just book one.................

WOWSERS............


I think P&P had some good ideas. But you also have to remember this was a wargaming company trying to get their heads around a RPG.  The result was an RPG with wargame like rules, making it far too complex for the market (who by this time were used to rolling 6 sided dice for abilities and taking maybe five mintues to get a character started). In retrospect they were probably a bit ahead of their time, they really made the process far too intensive and intimidating.....

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 482
Joined: May 12, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 15, 2020

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:25 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:
I think P&P had some good ideas. But you also have to remember this was a wargaming company trying to get their heads around a RPG.  The result was an RPG with wargame like rules, making it far too complex for the market (who by this time were used to rolling 6 sided dice for abilities and taking maybe five mintues to get a character started). In retrospect they were probably a bit ahead of their time, they really made the process far too intensive and intimidating.....

Mike B.


Well actually, Powers & Perils was designed ca. 1982/1983 by Richard Snider, Dave Arneson's co-designer on Adventures in Fantasy (designed ca. 1979/1980?). So Richard was not really a wargamer per se, he was an early "hard-core crunch" role-player; indeed, in that respect, he was way ahead of his time. He still contributes to and supports P&P today at http://www.powersandperils.org

What's really interesting is going back through Adventures in Fantasy and comparing things in there with Powers & Perils. The games have a LOT in common.


James

*************
James Mishler
James Mishler Games

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:14 pm 
 

jamesmishler wrote:
Well actually, Powers & Perils was designed ca. 1982/1983 by Richard Snider, Dave Arneson's co-designer on Adventures in Fantasy (designed ca. 1979/1980?). So Richard was not really a wargamer per se, he was an early "hard-core crunch" role-player; indeed, in that respect, he was way ahead of his time. He still contributes to and supports P&P today at http://www.powersandperils.org

What's really interesting is going back through Adventures in Fantasy and comparing things in there with Powers & Perils. The games have a LOT in common.


THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU..........

As you can see from my First post, I did not aquire the map Book with my find.
I found the six books listed, but not the map book, or the adventure that came with the same Box Set.
I was able to find BOTH from the site you linked.

From the link you offered above, I found another link where the entire Map book was stiched together by Floyd Resler (electronically) so that all the maps in that map book were melded into one huge 7.5 meg... JPEG file. The download note states that the map if printed would be 41" x 33". Thankfully I have a roll paper plotter that will easily plot that size..........

I shall soon have a full sized color world map tp go with the books I got from the half Price book Store.............
Life is sweet......


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1