Hidden Kingdom
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:42 pm 

I was recently able to acquire a copy of Hidden Kingdom. The other day I saw that it was on the first page of the "Stump the Forum" thread, and it was said to be "pretty rare." I'm curious - as it's still in shrink - is it collectible enough to keep that way, or as rare does not always equal collectible, should I tear the shrink off and peruse the contents?

Any insight is much appreciated.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:06 pm 

Hidden Kingdom is not quite as rare as most of the other stuff on the Stump the Forum thread.  I have seen probably about 6 sell on Ebay and know a few other collectors that have picked up copies from other places.

It is a separate game on its own and not a D&D or generic frp module so I think that hurts the value of the item too.

I do seem to recall that one seller not so long ago had 2 or 3 copies of this for sale and sold them on Ebay with the cheapest one selling for as low as $25 and the highest for $50 - this is just from memory but it is probably in a message here somewhere.  They did go relatively cheap in my opinion.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:52 pm 

That's good to know. I paid $20, so it's always nice to get at least a wash if I ever need to part with it. If it's in the semi-collectible area, I won't feel too bad about cracking the plastic off of it and giving the contents a read. I bought it partly because it did seem unique, and partly because the game itself looks intriguing. And besides, who can resist the 2.X/3.X MS-DOSesque packaging?

$25-50 seems a fair price for a product like this.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:59 am 

Hidden Kingdom is a very beautiful game ; for this, it is for me collectible. Maybe not rare, but definitely very interesting.
I have paid mine 50 USD, the 'stump the forum' publication had pushed the price over 50 USD at that time.
$20 is definitely a bargain.

:D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:11 am 

The expansion pack for Hidden Kingdon seems to be very hard to get. I only kno it exists because Burntwire sold one in 2004. Never seen a Hidden Kingdom in shrink. Only seen them opened before.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:33 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:The expansion pack for Hidden Kingdon seems to be very hard to get. I only kno it exists because Burntwire sold one in 2004. Never seen a Hidden Kingdom in shrink. Only seen them opened before.

What this expansion looks like? I will be very interested to see a picture of it if someone have one.

And for Hidden Kingdom itself I remember that bclarkie or burntwire (can't remember who) sold one for around $150. Then prices decreased quickly. For me it is a really collectible item.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:54 pm 

Burntwire sold a copy of Hidden Kingdom, along with the expansion pack back in 2004. If I could just be bothered going back through my archives, I've probably still got the auction photo, but it's a humungous task, and there'll probably be another one up before I manage to find the photo. Maybe someone here has a copy?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:12 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:And for Hidden Kingdom itself I remember that bclarkie or burntwire (can't remember who) sold one for around $150. Then prices decreased quickly. For me it is a really collectible item.

Yes, for a while I remember they were very collectible and in the $100+ range but I think there has been at least 4 since then that have been below $75.  I think this is also an item that most people don't search for even though it might interest them, hence low prices.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:23 pm 

i bought a copy of hidden kingdom from the burntwire bros. and in one of the copies i picked was the hidden kingdom supplement (so i could have won the auction that ian is referring to). my wife and i are going to take some pictures of the collection soon and send them in, so if nobody else here beats us to it, we will send in a picture of the supplement too.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:50 am 

It would be uesful to know if the HK supplement is---like many Thieves Guild items---potentially mixed into the HK main binder rules, so that if you didn't do a careful a/b comparison of the original rules TOC to the contents, you may not notice that there's more there....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:39 pm 

grodog wrote:It would be uesful to know if the HK supplement is---like many Thieves Guild items---potentially mixed into the HK main binder rules, so that if you didn't do a careful a/b comparison of the original rules TOC to the contents, you may not notice that there's more there....

How to know what is the original content? And not the additive rules...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:06 pm 

stratochamp wrote:i bought a copy of hidden kingdom from the burntwire bros. and in one of the copies i picked was the hidden kingdom supplement (so i could have won the auction that ian is referring to).

Here is stratochamp's pic of this item:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:27 pm 

So Mars....what's the deal?  with the pics you posted on the "How big is your collection" thread and now here.....it begs the question:  Did stratochamp hire you to be his press secretary or his collection curator?

:wink:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:06 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Did stratochamp hire you to be his press secretary or his collection curator?

I'm just a little bit more computer literate is all.  Although now that you mention it, the position might be open.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:06 pm 

what it means is mark (mars) is a very nice fellow who took the time to post these pics for me as i am a web neophyte.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:26 am 

Thanks for the pics, guys---I'll have to flip through to see if I have either supplement (or is that the cover and interior of the supplement??), but the images don't ring a bell, so I probably don't have it/them.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:42 am 

stratochamp wrote:what it means is mark (mars) is a very nice fellow who took the time to post these pics for me as i am a web neophyte.

Hehe....I know what you mean.  I work on computers for a living and it took me a while to figure out how to post pictures to the forum.  Quite a bit of trial and error to say the least.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:32 pm 

yes allan, that is the cover to the left and the first page to the right.

Next