Good Investment?
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:27 am 

Mars wrote:As it stands this seems to be the most rare of all D&D items (rarer than any tournament module, prepub, woodgrain set, etc) and in comparison it is not that old.

I seriously doubt that any but completists would bid for a Jade Hare over even a third print woodie. Same for any of the Pre-Pubs and tourney modules and many other rare D&D items as well. And as stated above, I would also jump all over a full set of Aussies (SW or not) over a Covered Jade Hare.... ANY TIME.

That useless cover does absolutely NOTHING for me as a collector and it most certainly adds NOTHING for playablity of Jade Hare, while the aussies do a lot for me as a collector and they can be played. The same goes for ALL of the other so called common rares you listed above.

BTW I have a coverless Jade Hare and I would not bid on a covered one if I had any chance at any of the other exceedingly rare OD&D items.

As stated above, there have been 3-4 of them sold publicly since 2002.

How many First Edition Chainmails have you seen during that same time period?

I saw one first edition Chainmail during the past 5-7 years and I bought it in 2002 (or perhaps 2003).
There MIGHT have been others I did not notice, but I doubt it.
I have seen VERY few second Edition first print Chainmails and only ONE second second..........

There are MANY other exceedingly rare items that are of far more interest to common collectors such as myself.

As stated above, I will leave the covered Jade Hare to the completists with the deeper pockets.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:29 am 

The wraparound cover for Wild Things is useless, yet adds a shitload to the value.
I think it's along the lines of having a brownie without the ref sheets. It's still a brownie, but...................

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:44 am 

Aneoth wrote:I seriously doubt that any but completists would bid for a Jade Hare over even a third print woodie. Same for any of the Pre-Pubs and tourney modules and many other rare D&D items as well. And as stated above, I would also jump all over a full set of Aussies (SW or not) over a Covered Jade Hare.... ANY TIME.

That useless cover does absolutely NOTHING for me as a collector and it most certainly adds NOTHING for playablity of Jade Hare, while the aussies do a lot for me as a collector and they can be played. The same goes for ALL of the other so called common rares you listed above.

To keep this from distilling into a flame war, I'll just agree that we disagree on these points.

What it really comes down to is personal choice {like everything in the collecting world...One man's trash is another's treasure}.

I am trying not to speak for anyone else here, but I would imagine that you are probably in the minority with your views.

-Len

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:09 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote:
To keep this from distilling into a flame war, I'll just agree that we disagree on these points.

What it really comes down to is personal choice {like everything in the collecting world...One man's trash is another's treasure}.

I am trying not to speak for anyone else here, but I would imagine that you are probably in the minority with your views.

-Len

Being a somewhat serious collector :)   I would love to own a Jade Hare with the cover and I would treasure it immensely.  I would also like to own shrink aussie mods, 1st Chainmail etc.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:30 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote:

-Len

Len,
I agree that we will have to agree to disagree.
I do not agree that I am in the minority.
However, I too would be pleased as punch to own a covered Jade Hare.
I just do not feel it is worth $2000............... Not even close.
That said, none of you who drool at the thought of including one in your personal collection would have any reasons to fear that I might bid against you for one.

And as you said One man's trash is another's treasure. I totally agree there. (BUT I do NOT think the Covered Jade Hare is trash though)

My opinion as you stated of course.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:29 pm 

Aneoth wrote:...And as you said One man's trash is another's treasure. I totally agree there. (BUT I do NOT think the Covered Jade Hare is trash though)

Aneoth,

Sorry for not being clearer...I wasn't suggesting you thought it was trash.

It was just a figure of speech.

-Len

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:00 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote:
Aneoth,

Sorry for not being clearer...I wasn't suggesting you thought it was trash.

It was just a figure of speech.

-Len

okie dokie  :arrow:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:18 pm 

Bah.  With or without the cover, Jade Hare is a bit of dreck that should never have seen print.  Rare should not equal valuable.  It's really unfortunate that these go for more than the likes of a Tsojconth, or any printing of Woodgrain.  Where's the history?  

To those that disagree, I'd be happy to sell you my ultra-rare, limited edition, signed, Against the Cult of the Lemur God.  (In SW if you are willing to add $4.  Saran Wrap ain't free...)

YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:26 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Bah. With or without the cover, Jade Hare is a bit of dreck that should never have seen print.

Couldn't agree more. The only item I can think of that's even more boring would be ST1. Once agin, I'm reminded of why I don't even bother chasing the "rares" ... there's cheaper insomnia cures available at my local drugstore.

Not that I blame any of the completists** too much: I've been there, too, obsessively tracking down certain magazines or comic books or rare CDs or what-have-you. I've even gone over the edge more than once (in the pre-internet days, I once traveled hundreds of miles to buy a single CD). I guess the difference is that I've never paid two grand for something whose only feature of note is an alleged level of "rarity." I need more substance than that.

But, hey, as mentioned above, there's room for all kinds of collectors here. I'm not claiming anyone is right or wrong, or looking to fan any flames.

BTW, Deimos, I was disappointed in the 3.5 update to your module: Expedition to the Caves of the Lemur's God's Quest for the Sword of Lemur-Ness. I hope the original was better.

+++++

** Until about five minutes ago, I thought this word was "completionists." Life really is a learning experience ...

Previous