Good Investment?
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:27 am 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:not as rare as oz g+d complete in shrink guess $2k give or take. if had choice will take those in two seconds

Would be too late...one second here.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:32 am 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:not as rare as oz g+d complete in shrink guess $2k give or take.

Maybe not as rare as the modules in shrink but we have definitely seen more oz g+d in total - I'll take these too.

In looking over the old thread again, it seems like the 4 copies came from the same source and again this part of the story gets somewhat suspect to me - a friend who was selling everything had them. "The book that you now own may have been part of the TSR library collection or may have not been."

Was it typical for TSR to have 4 such copies for their Library?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:43 am 

Mars wrote:
Maybe not as rare as the modules in shrink but we have definitely seen more oz g+d in total - I'll take these too.

In looking over the old thread again, it seems like the 4 copies came from the same source and again this part of the story gets somewhat suspect to me - a friend who was selling everything had them. "The book that you now own may have been part of the TSR library collection or may have not been."

Was it typical for TSR to have 4 such copies for their Library?

Wait the seller in question only sold two copies...from where did the other two come from?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:06 am 

Mars wrote:Maybe not as rare as the modules in shrink but we have definitely seen more oz g+d in total - I'll take these too.

:lol: :lol: ok perhaps just >4 for oz d3 total - 0 in shrink - but oz basic is rarer + cheap ;>

Mars wrote:Was it typical for TSR to have 4 such copies for their Library?

probable >1 but not all tsr library copies numbered or marked in same way from those i have. no closer than late 80s sorry but was simple stamped library copy then. do not think heard jade hare covers stamped or marked for library interested to know :) :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:36 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote:
Wait the seller in question only sold two copies...from where did the other two come from?

So how did you aquire yours??

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:42 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
So how did you aquire yours??

I won the first of two Ebay auctions back in November of '02.

See here:
about41.html

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:49 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote:
I won the first of two Ebay auctions back in November of '02.

See here:
about41.html

Good pick up back then, if you sell it I am sure it will go much higher :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:45 pm 

If I recall from my correspondence with John Rateliff at TSR (he was the TSR Librarian) many years ago, he told me that there were between five and ten made, from what he was able to gather by interviewing TSR members who were around at the time of printing.  He said he had tried finding a copy in the TSR library, but there weren't any.  He did have a copy of the cover, of which he sent me a scan.  I remember asking John Nephew about it (the author), and it was a surprise to him that a cover was made.  He'd never seen or heard of it.

I'm not quite certain of the sequence of events, but I'm pretty sure that the first I ever heard about a cover was when John told me and sent me the scan.  It was sometime thereafter that they began popping up on eBay, and I bought mine for ~$720.

That copy, along with the rest of my collection, has since been sold -- but otherwise, yes it's still floating out there.

Foul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:05 pm 

Thanks for the info Foul.  I'm happy to hear that there is some confirmation out there from TSR staff that they did produce it and it is not just a mock up some 3rd party did to make money.

I don't have much doubt that a copy today would hit the $2K.  I do find it interesting though that it would sell for this much.  Most of the other big price tickets were all produced in larger numbers because they were intended to be sold.  This items appears to be basically an internal use item of which Frank (exTSR) has a number of similar things (and I will say more interesting ones?) which don't sell for nearly as much.  So what is the big draw on this one - completists?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:28 pm 

good to know never in library for reference thx
Mars wrote:So what is the big draw on this one - completists?

most for listing here http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/rares.html yes :) :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:56 pm 

For me I think is the idea of having something in my collection that is not complete, because I have the insides I need to get the cover as well.. if you know what I mean.. I don't see myself droping $2k on it though.. alas..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:43 pm 

Mars wrote:So what is the big draw on this one - completists?

Good question....When I wore a younger man's clothes (sorry Mr Joel) there was an 18 month period where my want for anything SW was insatiable.  The good, the bad, and the stupid (Dark Sun) was purchased at any cost (to the tune of nearly $4,600 as I look at my records).  It was during this time that this item appeared.  This and a copy of Tsojconth were the last items I purchased at the end of 02.  I would buy one more item a month later and basically faded away from collecting.  Completists...no.  It was just timing.  I did amass quite a bit of stuff.  Some I am proud of, like the geomorphs all in shrink and some I am not, like the 300 bucks I shelled out for the Kara Tur boxed set in like condition.  

Sorry for the drivel, but I hope I answered the question.  :?

-Len

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:56 pm 

good answer thx :) :)

Sir Kill Alot wrote:like the 300 bucks I shelled out for the Kara Tur boxed set in like condition.

slight carried away??

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:09 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:slight carried away??

Only slighly  :D   I just dug it out of its resting place {and removed the bubble wrap}.  If I had my camera upstairs I would snap a quick pic and post it.  It is in beautiful condition.  But a snowball has a better chance in hell than I do I think getting that kind of money for it.

Let's call it buyers remorse.  :cry:

-Len

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:15 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote:
Only slighly  :D   I just dug it out of its resting place {and removed the bubble wrap}.  If I had my camera upstairs I would snap a quick pic and post it.  It is in beautiful condition.  But a snowball has a better chance in hell than I do I think getting that kind of money for it.

Let's call it buyers remorse.  :cry:

-Len

Well, just think, you could have instead bought 300 .99 cent cheesburgers at McDonalds with that money and you'd probably be quite a bit heftier.  So the overspending on the Kara Tur makes you a lot healthier...just look at it that way!  Plus you can still sell the KT box at some point....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:20 pm 

Badmike wrote:Well, just think, you could have instead bought 300 .99 cent cheesburgers at McDonalds with that money and you'd probably be quite a bit heftier.  So the overspending on the Kara Tur makes you a lot healthier...just look at it that way!  Plus you can still sell the KT box at some point....

LOL, thanks Mike.  BTW, I think 1K of that money went into your coffers.  I'll have to add it up.  Maybe not...I'll just depress myself again.

-Len

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:26 pm 

Badmike wrote:you could have instead bought 300 .99 cent cheesburgers at McDonalds

+3 cheeseburgers. dont forget the kittehz
@Len: yeah into three digits not easy. private to degassy or other high-end shrink collector will get some way but not that far i think

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:45 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote:
LOL, thanks Mike.  BTW, I think 1K of that money went into your coffers.  I'll have to add it up.  Maybe not...I'll just depress myself again.

-Len

Crap.  That may be why I gained so much weight the last few years...your cash caused my weight gain!  ARGH!!!

Mike B.[/b]

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

PreviousNext