Empire of the Petal Throne - EOTPT
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:32 am 

I just bought a lot of six box sets through E-Bay.

** expired eBay auction **

Empire of the Petal Throne (poor)
Top Secret
Forgotten Realms -- Campaign Set
DragonLance -- Time of the Dragon
Cardmaster -- Adventure Design Deck
Top Secret SI -- The Web

As you can see, per the description given by the seller, one of the box sets is a box set of the EOTPT in poor condition.

I searched here for any threads about the Petal Throne (And searched for Tekumel as well) and although I went back several pages I found no other threads regarding this topic.

What is the current value of the EOTPT boxed set these days?

Since I already have a Petal Throne Box Set in better condition than poor, I may try to re-sell all of the box sets including the Petal Throne and keep the Forgotten Realms set.

While we are at it, does anyone know the value of the other box sets in the listing?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:19 pm 

If it were a 1st print (blank box bottom) and good condi, it might go for $75 - $125.  

Yours looks kind of mushed, but what printing is it?  You might be able to get back almost what you paid for the lot if it's a 1st.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:29 pm 

bombadil wrote:If it were a 1st print (blank box bottom) and good condi, it might go for $75 - $125.  

Yours looks kind of mushed, but what printing is it?  You might be able to get back almost what you paid for the lot if it's a 1st.

Thanks, Stephen.

The one I already have is complete (I believe) and it does have the blank white box bottom and in general it is a nice box with no torn corners.

And though the picture in the auction is too small to be certain, the box in the listing does look like it is crushed, and that is likely (hopefully) what the seller was referring to with his poor condition comment.

I did not even see this listing until near the end, so I had no time to ask any questions about the box set.

Is there a place (web site?) to visit that might have edition/printing data?
One similar to the TSR price and printings lists here?

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:06 pm 

There was some discussion on the Tome of Treasures about the different printings here:

http://www.tomeoftreasures.com/forum/vi ... php?t=3415

I don't think we have formally had one here - just a lot of stuff in passing.

You can also check if your set is complete with the descriptions in the research forums:

http://tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=533

I think bombadil's estimates are fairly good but I have seen these sets go in the $150-200 range as well for particularly nice sets.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:32 pm 

I put a token bid in on the sets, mostly to make sure it didn't go for $5.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:21 pm 

I could use an EPT. :) I don't have one, and every time I see one (haven't been looking at eBay much lately; have to save for a wedding and the missus is mad at me for some spending...) I get outbid. But, the price range quoted seems to be accurate from what I've seen when I looked.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:20 pm 

Does the booklet have a product list on the inside back cover? (not the one on page 114.) If not, then it is a 1st, if so further questions maybe asked (unless you post a photo of the product list)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:30 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:I put a token bid in on the sets, mostly to make sure it didn't go for $5.

I am glad you were not seriously interested.
:wink:

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:32 pm 

First thanks to all for the great info on EOTPT

But does anyone have a clue what the other five sets might be worth?

Assuming the sets are complete and in good to very good condition, more or less.
Forgotten Realms -- Campaign Set (My guess is $15-20)
.........It looks to be a first print of the box set........
As I recall later print runs had deeper larger boxes......

DragonLance -- Time of the Dragon (My guess is $10-15..... Perhaps)
Cardmaster -- Adventure Design Deck (No clue)
Top Secret (No clue)
Top Secret SI -- The Web  (No clue)

I plan to keep the Forgotten Realms Set since I sent mine to Mike years ago, and I longer have one. And even at Half Priced Books it seems almost impossible to find a complete set. If you look hard enough you can often find the two paperback books on a shelf near the crushed/taped up and all but empty box, but the maps and overlays are almost always missing or incomplete, not to mention the other stuff that was supposed to be in there.

I have little or no interest in the others. Though I will at least look through the Dragonlance set before selling it. I never was much into Dragonlance, as part of the overall D&D game or the modules, in fact I NEVER chased DL's at all. Not to say none ended up in my collection, since large lots almost always had one or two of them.

Anyway, back to the topic:
I had heard of and seen listings on E-Bay for Top Secret before (Not SI though) but none of the others ring any bells for me at all.

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:48 pm 

Forgotten Realms -- Campaign Set

I sold an incomplete one (missing all maps, in fact) for $10. Add the maps, and I'd say it would go for $15-30, depending on who you got interested, but it should go for at least $10. Also, I'm assuming you mean the 1st edition box set, and not one of the later reprints.

DragonLance -- Time of the Dragon

I actually need one of these, for the box, as mine is crapped to hell. I'd think, based solely on a guess, that $5-15 is probably more accurate.

Cardmaster -- Adventure Design Deck

I've seen these sold in stores for $30, but I got mine for free from an Acaeum member, so I wouldn't say this has much value.

And, I'm with you on the TS stuff. No clue, as I've only rarely looked for that stuff. I got almost all of what I have for that game as a lot, for $10, and it contained the 1st edition box set and 4 modules, so, I'd guess its not worth a lot.

But, that's my experiences. Its possible I was just lucky and got stuff for cheap.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:55 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:I put a token bid in on the sets, mostly to make sure it didn't go for $5.

Hey, that was my token bid for $3.55 . . .  :)

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:34 pm 

An update:

I got the stuff from the listing I linked to in my first post, and the EotPT box set is indeed a First Edition but it was not complete.
The set is missing the three color maps that come with the original box set.
It is also missing the single sided glossy advertisement sheet, but it is not a playable part of the set.

Later on I saw another E-Bay listing (Thanks to Mars) that had the EotPT maps in it.
I bid on that listing but was not able to bid enough to win it.
The only items I wanted were the maps and there were a small portion of a large lot of apparently expensive Space games and the listing (IMO) went nuts.

I need to know what the value of the maps alone is.
The winning bidder in that listing has E-mailed me to let me know he had received the stuff from the listing and he seems willing to negotiate for those maps.
BTW: he knows exactly that they are (Not that I would have tried to rip him off anyway) but still I do not wish to pay gobs either.

:?:  What should I offer the guy for the EotPT maps alone  :?:

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Wed May 21, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:12 pm 

I would think that $10 or $15 ($5 a map?) would be a reasonable offer for part of a boxed set.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:57 pm 

Mars wrote:I would think that $10 or $15 ($5 a map?) would be a reasonable offer for part of a boxed set.

The guy should probably just put the maps alone up on ebay and see what they go for if he has no idea.

I could see a number of reasons why people might want the maps alone. Replacements, I know that when I started gaming I never hesitated to write on or similarly deface my maps to reflect the campaign, or as posters, or a spare copy for players or a 2nd DM. Honestly the booklet can be easily and (relatively) cheaply copied, but poster maps would be outrageousluy expensive to duplicate.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:02 pm 

JZavoda wrote:
The guy should probably just put the maps alone up on ebay and see what they go for if he has no idea.

I could see a number of reasons why people might want the maps alone. Replacements, I know that when I started gaming I never hesitated to write on or similarly deface my maps to reflect the campaign, or as posters, or a spare copy for players or a 2nd DM. Honestly the booklet can be easily and (relatively) cheaply copied, but poster maps would be outrageousluy expensive to duplicate.

If he wants too much for them for me to buy them, then I say more power to him.........

viewtopic.php?t=7130

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:15 pm 

Aneoth wrote:
If he wants too much for them for me to buy them, then I say more power to him.........

viewtopic.php?t=7130

Make him an offer of what they are worth to you. Personally I hate making offers and avoid it at all costs, but sometimes you have to do it.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:10 pm 

Now that I have photo prints of the maps from my complete box set of EotPT, I am not going to offer much for the original maps.
The maps the fella has would have been for my otherwise incomplete (NOT MINTY) Box Set.
I can play the game with the paper copies of the maps that I printed just fine.

In fact I am thinking of selling my complete box set now, since I dont need two of them.
All I needed was a complete playable set so I could sell one of them.
Any players that might get to play the game with me wont likely care that the set is not a totally original.

I also now have two CD's with the three TIFF files too......
..........Sweet..........

They aint for sale................
That would be illegal.