RPG Marketplace?
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:11 pm 

Okay.
Could someone expain this? How it works and what the payment/fee structure is, etc.
I've been away adventuring for a few years, and now Im back home and dusting off all the old collection, I find that selling through an eBay store is not the done thing anymore.
So is there actually any commerse happening over on RPG Marketplace, and iff not, where best to sell my treasures?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:39 pm 

http://rpgmarketplace.com/site_fees.php

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:51 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Okay.
Could someone expain this? How it works and what the payment/fee structure is, etc.
I've been away adventuring for a few years, and now Im back home and dusting off all the old collection, I find that selling through an eBay store is not the done thing anymore.
So is there actually any commerse happening over on RPG Marketplace, and iff not, where best to sell my treasures?

Ian;

It's a site run by gamers/collectors for gamers/collectors. You'll see a lot of familiar names there.

Most everything on the site is free..no listing fees or final value fees.  I think  having a large item store might cost something, but I believe the smallest store is also free. It's basically a call back to the old RPG marketplace Usenet days, when collectors worked deals among themselves with no middlemen, only there is also a rating system.  There is also options to swap items if you choose. The owner of the site personally oks all buyers and all sellers have to show they are already respectable ebay sellers or known in the Acaeum as "good guys"....keeps out the Cougars and Creep1962s of the world.

I've sold quite a few items there. Most items that have sold seem to be high end, rare and hard to find items (An original Kuntz manuscript, a couple of Chainmail 2nd prints, Dragon 3-5, R4, etc).  Since the site mostly consists of Acaeum members at this point, this is bound to be the case. we are working at getting more "blue collar" collectors and buyers there so regular stuff can sell also. I've also directed people buying in my Ebay store there so they can get a discount.  The site allows you to send out an invoice, or just make your own invoice.  It allows you to set discounts, accept cash, link to other sites, basically loads of stuff not permitted on ebay!

It's a good site if you just have a handful of items to sell, they are fairly rare, and you don't want to pay ebays exorbinant fees or have to purchase a monthly store there.  I use it as a mirror site to my Ebay store, listing duplicate copies of stuff I already have plus stuff already in my Ebay store.

PM me if you have any other questions!

Mike B.

http://rpgmarketplace.com/index.php

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:03 am 

Which RJK manuscript did I miss?

Okay. I signed up, activated my account, added a bit of 'About Me' blurb and punched in an e-mail adress in the PayPal field. There doesn't seem to be a place to add listings, or do I need to wait for a moderator to validate my account?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:14 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Which RJK manuscript did I miss?

Okay. I signed up, activated my account, added a bit of 'About Me' blurb and punched in an e-mail adress in the PayPal field. There doesn't seem to be a place to add listings, or do I need to wait for a moderator to validate my account?

Cairn of the Skeleton King was sold last week.....

Doug has to ok your account if you are a seller....use the "Contact Us" button to send a message to him if he hasn't replied yet.

Mike B.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:54 pm 

My wife and I hadn't sold anything on ebay since last Nov. Today we put an item for sale, ebay yanked it, and was quite bizarre and rudish not once but twice. And all this happened within a 2-hour time span.

I have some RPG items that I am interested in selling, though few if any of them are of specific interest to old-schoolers (including but not limited to 3.x edition items). Realistically, would such items have much of a chance of selling on rpgmarketplace?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:20 pm 

Geoffrey wrote:I have some RPG items that I am interested in selling, though few if any of them are of specific interest to old-schoolers (including but not limited to 3.x edition items). Realistically, would such items have much of a chance of selling on rpgmarketplace?

Your items have a chance of selling here.  List your items, their condition and prices in the classified section and you might get lucky.  People over in Dragonsfoot also frequently list things for sale and have takers.  It's free, and it'll give people here a better idea of whether your items would likely sell or not.

If you are wondering how to grade stuff, go here:

http://www.acaeum.com/frontdesk/grading.html

I hope this helps! :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:16 pm 

Give it a shot. Won't cost you anything. Adding to the number of items will only help the store!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:55 am 

Set up an account but unable to list things 'cos I'm blocked.
Not a very transparent system and too much of an 'exclusive club' mentality as it's not open to those who wish to sell and are 'unknown' by the big controller. RPG Marketplace cannot grow without letting customers buy and sell on it. It's doomed to failure until it's opened up to everyone.
If anyone has doubts about the quality or rarity of the products I have within my collection, or my integrity, I would imagine they are quite ignorant.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:30 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Set up an account but unable to list things 'cos I'm blocked.
Not a very transparent system and too much of an 'exclusive club' mentality as it's not open to those who wish to sell and are 'unknown' by the big controller. RPG Marketplace cannot grow without letting customers buy and sell on it. It's doomed to failure until it's opened up to everyone.
If anyone has doubts about the quality or rarity of the products I have within my collection, or my integrity, I would imagine they are quite ignorant.

The vetting of sellers is a one man job, I'm sure Doug will get around to it when he has the time. The process is going to be restrictive by nature, all the sellers on RPG marketplace must be checked and certified if they are not personally known by Doug.  The reason is to provide a marketplace where everyone is pretty close to 100% sure the good and the sellers are above legit, and add to that Doug's rep is on the line with the store, if he lets someone "bad" creep in it's all on him. The measures may seem restrictive at times but the entire point is to provide a marketplace above reproach. The fact that we have almost a dozen sellers shows it is possible to be vetted to sell.

If the marketplace seems a little restrictive and "exclusive", it is.  We are not trying to replicate the Ebay experience, quite the opposite.  The entire purpose of the site is NOT to be open to just everyone, but to serious collectors, traders, buyers and sellers only.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:10 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Set up an account but unable to list things 'cos I'm blocked....

Ian,

I don't read the forums all the time, much less this particular section or I'd have enabled your "Sell" status already.

When someone signs up at RPGMarketplace.com, if I recognize the name from Acaeum or Dragonsfoot, I usually check to see how long they have been a member and search to be sure no one has anything "bad" to say about them. Then I enable the Sell status.

But if you read the FAQs or if you try to sell, you will find it states you need to contact me via [email protected] so I can review your request to sell.

Now that you are allowed to sell, if you wish to be listed as a "Verified Seller" I'll need a message from your eBay account to my eBay account (douglaswrhea) and I'll change your status to "Verified Seller" (presuming you have good feedback)

Sorry you have been waiting so long, but you're the first that hasn't contacted me either.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:44 pm 

If the marketplace seems a little restrictive and "exclusive", it is.  We are not trying to replicate the Ebay experience, quite the opposite.  The entire purpose of the site is NOT to be open to just everyone, but to serious collectors, traders, buyers and sellers only.

Vital it stays that way too. Not for exclusivity but to preserve the reality of being able to buy with confidence. This is what will end up making it a success in a sea of other auctions sites and online stores.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:42 am 

Message sent from eBay. Hope this helps verify me. PM me if you don't receive it.

Okay folks. Looks like I might be listing my goodies after all. Everything must go.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:28 am 

I guess that means I should get around to setting up an account there too sometime.