Starfleet battles - unpunched
Author

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:02 pm 

Anybody know what this sells for?
I found it while going through one of my storage boxes.
The counters are unpunched and the maps look like they have never been unfolded. Still in the original ziplock bag.
Books and everything (except the bag) looks very minty!

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:12 pm 

I haven't seen much of anything for Star Fleet Battles that sells well.  I have a box full of the stuff and after reading through the rules, I can't be bothered to even give it a try.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:34 pm 

You'd score some cash for that, especially unpunched. I haven't priced SFB in quite a while, but I'd think $20, at least ... possibly more.

Much of the SFB system isn't very collectible; the system got too big, too fast, and became almost comically goofy. However, you've got the original release pictured there ... the beast that got the whole SFB train rolling in 1979/1980. That's a nice addition to any collection.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:44 pm 

Thanks!
I since it is 10 cent listing day I just dropped it on eBay for a start of $19.99 to see if there is any interest.

Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:20 pm 

For SFB, I only have the training manual because I got it at a cut rate price and figured that with a bit of reorganization (and time) I could have a SFB lite if I even bothered to try (I didn't).  I much prefer the Star Trek Tactical Combat Simulator by FASA.  While the name doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, it's far more playable than SFB, sacrificing a bit of "realism" for playability.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:46 pm 

I guess I will have to be the guy who stands up for SFB.

Flat out awesome. I am pretty sure it is the longest running strategic wargame in production today.  

SFB enjoys a solid following and has held its annual tournament at Origins (and Gencon) longer than any other tourney except the AD&D open.

Trav - FASA!!! are you kidding me. SFB blows it out of the water.

Admittedly, SFB can be extremely difficult for new players. It is complicated at times, but the simple fact that it has been around for more than 20 years and continues to produce product should not be glossed over.

Of course, I am biased, if you haven't figured that out yet. I have been published in more than a few SFB products, so there it is.

J - you'll get your money for that auction. SFB does not usually do well on ebay. Most players buy their stuff new and hold onto it forever. Also, only one guy in a gaming group really needs to own the game. That said, I just sold the following and did well:

** expired eBay auction **

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:15 pm 

Thanks B.

I have it up for auction right now and have had one inquiry from the UK and already have a bunch of "watchers".

I'm hoping it will turn into one of those "last day bidding war" items.  :P

Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:50 pm 

Well, I am your first bidder. Can't let a good game go without a bid. I bought my original copy way back when it came out - think it was at Michicon.

We played it during the convention and got hooked. So my copy is partially punched --- why not grag an unpunched one  :)

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:29 pm 

I had gently opened the ziplock bag to look at the contents before writing up the description.

My intention originally was to take everything out and photograph it but the plastic bag was too brittle and I was worried it would tear open when trying to put the contents back in.

Thanks for bidding!

Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:31 pm 

It's funny. Only very recently I have started collecting the Task Force Micro-Games after picking up a copy of Escape From Altassar. In typical fashion, I then looked up Task Force Games and found there were about 30 of these in the series and set out to collect them all.

I had seen these items many times often passing in with no bids, but as soon as I start to collect them suddenly it seems everyone wants TFG Micro-games. (Takes on the  :rambo: persona of an angry hobbit). This happens to me all the time. It is like I am the bowwave of new collecting interests. Stop following me around - does everyone have to start collecting what I am collecting (place paranoid smurf emoticon here). :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:42 pm 

bbarsh wrote:Trav - FASA!!! are you kidding me. SFB blows it out of the water.

SFB is hobbled by its wargame roots compared to ST:TCS which was built from ground zero as a supplement to the Star Trek RPG.  If I want to micromanage every single system on my ship, then I would play SFB.  If I want to have a nice, reasonably quick combat, I'll play ST:TCS.  Finally, the tactics in ST:TCS simply feel more like Star Trek to me, rather than the WWII-esque feel of SFB.

Naturally, I'm biased towards rules-light approaches to gaming, and thus SFB wouldn't appeal to me.  From what I've heard, the pocket edition is still rather complex, but much faster to play than the Captain's Edition of the game.  The Cadet Training Handbook, if it included an index as to where to find each rule at least (a second copy of just the rules in order at best), might be palatable.

So no, I'm not kidding.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:59 pm 

Trav - I was just having some fun with you.

You hit the nail on the head. Star Fleet Battles, other than the formal names of the various races and weapon systems, is basically the anti-Star Trek. I know this might sound funny to anyone not familiar with the game, but ADB (Amarillo Design Bureau) [the makers of SFB for Task Force Games]  did everything possible to distance Star Fleet Battles from Star Trek.

SFB is a pure, out-and-out strategic war game. It is neither fast nor easy. Quite the contrary, it is very slow - simple games can take 3-5 hours and larger actions easily 5-8 hours or more. It is also extremely complex. The rule systems are several hundred pages. In fact, the third edition version had three core rulebooks that had a couple hundred pages each. However, it is erroneous to suggest players "micromanage" each system on a ship. That is not the case at all. It is much more like BattleTech - power is used to plot movement, weapons and defense. There are few other options but they don't see much play.

SFB is a wargame - in the line of AH or SPI systems. You just don't see many rpgers playing that game. SFB has its base of players and it has survived three rule revisions and is now nearly 30 years old and still going. That in itself clearly shows the staying power of this game.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:48 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:You'd score some cash for that ...

bbarsh wrote:Well, I am your first bidder.

Booya! I called it!  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:06 pm 

bbarsh wrote:Trav - I was just having some fun with you.

Sorry dude.  It went completely over my head.  :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 pm 

Traveller wrote:Sorry dude.  It went completely over my head.  :)

No apologies necessary...obviously I came off the wrong way.

Moving on...

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:08 pm 

Well I put in a bid over your initial one bbarsh. I got up early this morning and though I would snipe my own initial bid as it was only just over yours, but alas I was simultaneously sniped by another!

I am going through a real losing phase on Ebay. It's good for my hip pocket, but it leads me to wonder 'are millions more waxing nostalgic?' :alien:

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:17 pm 

I was wondering if the winner from Hawaii would win.
They sent me a message late last night asking about postage costs.
Turns out they bid at the last minute and won.

Thanks for bidding guys!

Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:09 pm 

Got busy and I could not watch the auction close. But I probably was close to my max on it. Afterall, I do have one.

Hermit: Keep an eye out, that set comes around from time to time. Jason's auction actually did fairly well as I have seen them go for under $20 several times.

But then again, something is very strange on ebay right now. Prices seem unusually high on some very common items.