Pencil marks, pen marks & highlighting - affects values
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:50 pm 

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a longtime gamer's collection, and going through it, I've discovered (to my dismay) that many of the items bear the following flaws:
--Pencil markings in the margins and underlining with pencil
--Notations in pen and underlining with pen
--Previous owner's name written on part(s) of module, sometimes in marker
--Highlighting

Most of this stuff isn't exactly in mint condition and is likely to appeal to the casual collector rather than most of the hard-core collectors present here, but there are still some rare items that might generate some interest.

I am a stickler for noting flaws in any item(s) I sell, but am wondering (ballpark estimate, of course) how much these various flaws might affect my final sales values?  For example, the pencil marks could be removed with much patience and diligence, but the pen, marker and highlighter marks are there for posterity...

Thanks for your time and interest,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:55 pm 

Depends on how frequent they are. If its every page, in mass quantity, probably by half, or more... at least, for me. If its not so bad, and is simply one name on the interior cover, maybe only 10-15% reduced price because I'd want to find another without the flaw. So, pervasiveness and all that... others might think differently, of course. And, sometimes, even if its screwed up, if its rare enough, its still got a lot of worth.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:17 pm 

I agree, I think it's got a lot to do with how anal the buyer is. For me personally, unless it's just an amazingly cheap price, or a module I NEED to have to play, regardless of the shape, I don't buy modules with marks in them. Mainly, I know I'll be looking to "upgrade" that module, and why buy something twice, you know? A stray pencil mark or two, of course, can be erased, good as new. Any highlighting stops me from bidding, and I hate people's names and such in them too. But, if it's not in collector's shape anyway, then you're buying it to play, really, so who cares, right? I would say 20% loss at the minimum, all the way down to 75% loss for significantly marked items. I sold a 2nd print G2 for like $2.50 because it was markered up so badly. Just depends, really, but I'd absolutely have full disclosure on the amount of marking in the book.

Zen

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:48 am 

I hate other people's names in my books, it's a personal pet peeve of mine.  
Pencil is better than pen since it can be erased with some effort.  Highlighting is very annoying though.  The items will still sell to the casual collector.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:09 am 

Wandering Monster wrote:Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a longtime gamer's collection, and going through it, I've discovered (to my dismay) that many of the items bear the following flaws:
--Pencil markings in the margins and underlining with pencil
--Notations in pen and underlining with pen
--Previous owner's name written on part(s) of module, sometimes in marker
--Highlighting

Most of this stuff isn't exactly in mint condition and is likely to appeal to the casual collector rather than most of the hard-core collectors present here, but there are still some rare items that might generate some interest.

I am a stickler for noting flaws in any item(s) I sell, but am wondering (ballpark estimate, of course) how much these various flaws might affect my final sales values?  For example, the pencil marks could be removed with much patience and diligence, but the pen, marker and highlighter marks are there for posterity...

Thanks for your time and interest,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Someone will pay for a rare item cheaply if they are marred up, just to have a "use" copy. But in my experience that kind of damage absolutely kills the value....50% or less of what they typically sell for.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:01 am 

Badmike wrote:
Someone will pay for a rare item cheaply if they are marred up, just to have a "use" copy. But in my experience that kind of damage absolutely kills the value....50% or less of what they typically sell for.

Mike B.

As a very rough rule of thumb (with collectors I have found), an item with a few flaws (some highlighting, a little pen, a fair amount of creases) will sell for 50% of what a near mint item (i.e. with only the smallest creases).  

And, an item with a lot of flaws (lots of highlighting, tears, missing pages) will sell for 50% of what a 'few flaws' item will sell for.

e.g.

NM 1st print Boot Hill - $100-120
with flaws                 - $50-60
with missing pages    - $25-30

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:27 pm 

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your input/thoughts on this!

Unfortunately, they seem to fall in line with what I had already suspected.

Sounds like there will be a lot of eBay auctions with .99 cent starting prices...  :(

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster