Variant first edition?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:31 pm 

I have a white boxed set almost identical to the 1974 wizard image set but it does NOT say "Original Collector's Edition" in a starburst on the front. Instead the image is a little larger and it says Price $10 below the publisher line. I remember buying it in about 1974 at a mystic bookstore in Houston, Texas. It is in near mint condition, as I never actually used it. CAn anyone tell me anything about it and how much it might be worth? Thanks in advance!

Laura

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:51 pm 

It sounds like you have a 4th or 5th print set - its more of a 1975-76 publication although the books state copyright 1974.  You can look it up here:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/original.html

The valuation really depends on condition of the box and the books and if the reference sheets are present.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:59 pm 

Yes, that is exactly it. I have all three books and reference sheets, complete. The books are pristine except for one sentence on one page underlined in very light ink. Pages are crisp and white. The box has some dirt, but is not cracked. Mild age toning. Any idea as to worth?

Laura

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:25 pm 

lpwright wrote:Yes, that is exactly it. I have all three books and reference sheets, complete. The books are pristine except for one sentence on one page underlined in very light ink. Pages are crisp and white. The box has some dirt, but is not cracked. Mild age toning. Any idea as to worth?

Before the middle of 2007, I would have said $100.

Here's an eBay auction for an OCE with a current bid of $500:

. . .  
** expired eBay auction **

Look at the bid history to get a better feel of what the bidders did.  I dropped out early.  Others dropped out well below $100.  One guy played around with bids (shilling, maybe?) and dropped out at $110.  Only one bidder was willing to run the price up to $500, bidding against someone who may or may not be a shill.

Thanks to eBay's wonderful asterisk-obfuscation of bidder names, I can't pretend to do any bclarkie-like sleuthing to tell if the current high bidder is a shill or not.  One current bid on eBay, low feedback overall.  Can't tell anything about him.

My guess is that $100 would be a reasonable, if low, final price for your item.  Photos will help sell your item in the Classifieds here, at Dragonsfoot, at RPGMarketplace, eBay, or wherever.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:30 pm 

Got to be a shill, surely. (JG is correct though - tout it around the various sites and get some offers)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:55 am 

Thank you. You've been very helpful. I will assume about $100 and maybe hold on to it a  while longer. Have a great week.

Laura

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:36 am 

lpwright wrote: at a mystic bookstore in Houston, Texas.

I'd sort of like to know more about the store. Around that time, Marshall Applewhite of the Heaven's Gate group ran a mystic bookstore in Houston, Texas.

Maybe it wasn't his, but it's still intriguing that occultists would have considered D&D an actual grimoire, characteristic of the 'what is it' early era of RPGs.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:04 am 

Oh, heck, that was so long ago... all I remember was that it was on the far end of Westheimer (near downtown). I bought some tarot cards at the time and some I Ching yarrow sticks. I doubt it is still around.

Laura

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:30 am 

lpwright wrote:I will assume about $100 and maybe hold on to it a  while longer.

That is a good ballpark figure.  There have been a few lower ones recently such as:

** expired eBay auction **

There was another recently that I can't find either that was in the same $80 range.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:34 am 

TBH, if its not an 6th Printing OCE and its actually a 4th or 5th print you should expect to get more than $100 for it.  Since I am still not clear on whether its a 4th or 5th printing I would say if its a 5th print you should expect more in the range of $150-$175 and if its a 4th printing set I'd expect somewhere in the range of $200-$225.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:54 am 

bclarkie wrote:TBH, if its not an 6th Printing OCE and its actually a 4th or 5th print you should expect to get more than $100 for it.  Since I am still not clear on whether its a 4th or 5th printing I would say if its a 5th print you should expect more in the range of $150-$175 and if its a 4th printing set I'd expect somewhere in the range of $200-$225.

Bclarkie's got it about right, but you might get a significant wave of nostalgia bidding at the moment, from less-informed new eBayers who have heard that Gary Gygax has passed away.  I think that's what is happening with that OCE at $500.   :?

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:01 am 

deimos3428 wrote: I think that's what is happening with that OCE at $500.   :?

If I was a betting man I'd say that $500 is a direct result of a shill by at least the second place bidder(the one with the 689 feedback).  When you considering that 30% of his 72 total bids are with that seller.

Because of Ebays genius idea to hide all bidders names though, I can't get any more info than that, but I'd be willing to bet lots of money that it is. The fact that he bid exactly up to the current high bidders max and then just stopped, certainly doesn't bode well either.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:44 am 

"I would say if its a 5th print you should expect more in the range of $150-$175"

Looking at Mars' suggested site: http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/original.html
it is the fifth edition. Thanks again for the info!

Laura

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:10 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
If I was a betting man I'd say that $500 is a direct result of a shill by at least the second place bidder(the one with the 689 feedback).  When you considering that 30% of his 72 total bids are with that seller.

Because of Ebays genius idea to hide all bidders names though, I can't get any more info than that, but I'd be willing to bet lots of money that it is. The fact that he bid exactly up to the current high bidders max and then just stopped, certainly doesn't bode well either.

Concurrent with what BC says, can we trust about 50% of the auction prices nowadays? I'm pretty much going entirely to BIN's now on Ebay. Chances are you are going to be overpaying for the rares, with Ebay's blessing.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:58 pm 

It's yet another reason to snipe auctions instead of bidding up front.