What is this lot worth?
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:56 am 

O.K. I put an advertisment on Craig's list and get the following response back.
"Hi,
This is what I have:
Lots of books great condition.
This is whats available:
AD&D MONSTROUS MANUAL 2nd EDITION
TOME OF MAGIC 2nd EDITION
PLAYERS OPTION: COMBAT & TATICS
MONTROUS COMPENDIUM annual volume 3
PLAYERS OPTION: SKILLS AND POWERS
FAITHS AND AVATARS
PLAYERS HANDBOOK
DUNGEON MASTERS GUIDE
ARMS AND EQUIPMENT 2 nd edition
THE COMPLETE PSIONICS HANDBOOK 2 nd edition
COMPLETE BOOK OF ELVES 2 nd edition
COMPLETE RANGERS HANDBOOK
COMPLETE PALADINS HANDBOOK 2nd edition
COMPLETE FIGHTERS HANDBOOK 2nd edition
COMPLETE DRUIDS HANDBOOK 2 nd edition
COMPLETE BOOK OF HUMANOIDS 2nd edition
COMPLETE BARDS HANDBOOK 2nd edition
COMPLETE THIEFS HANDBOOK 2nd edition
RAVENLOFT: THE NIGHTMARE LANDS
RAVENLOFT 2nd edition
RAVENLOFT NEITHER MAN NOR BEAST
RAVENLOFT: THE EVIL EYE STILL IN ORIGINAL SHRINK WRAP
RAVENLOFT:WHEN BLACK ROSES BLOOM 2nd EDITION STILL IN SHRINK WRAP
RAVENLOFT: THE AWAKENING 2nd EDITION STILL IN SHRINKWRAP
D&D PLAYERS HANDBOOK (CORE RULE BOOK 1)
D&D DUNGEON MASTERS GUIDE(CORE RULE BOOK 2)
D&D MONSTER MANUAL(CORE RULE BOOK 3)
AD&D ENCYCLOPEDIA vol.1 (2 EDITION)
AD&D WIZARDS SPELL COMPENDIUM VOL 2
AD&D WIZARDS SPELL COMPENDIUM VOL 3"

Assuming none of these items are rare editions(not likely anyway), and assuming these are all very good condition except for the items which specifically state otherwise, what would you think this is actually worth(what it would sell on eBay for) AND what would you offer?  That's two questions.  I am not personally interested in any of the items.  They would all be resold on eBay.  Any help or advice appreciated.  This is the first time I've tried re-selling, and figured it might work.  I got a bite!

My personal guess is that this is worth(would sell on eBay for) between $190.00 & $200.00, which means I should initially offer $100.00 for everything going to a maximum of $125.00.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:03 am 

Personally, I'd say this lot you have listed isn't worth much more than $125 IMO.  Those 2nd edition splat books are almost impossible to sell most of the time and thats even if you list them at $.99 each.   Also, even those unopened Ravenloft items aren't likely to get you more than $5 a piece.  The only items in that lot that are worth more than $5 each are the Wizard's Spell Compendiums and assuming that they are in solid condition, they should net you in the range of $15 and $20 each, but other than that, thats it.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:25 am 

bclarkie wrote:Personally, I'd say this lot you have listed isn't worth much more than $125 IMO.  Those 2nd edition splat books are almost impossible to sell most of the time and thats even if you list them at $.99 each.   Also, even those unopened Ravenloft items aren't likely to get you more than $5 a piece.  The only items in that lot that are worth more than $5 each are the Wizard's Spell Compendiums and assuming that they are in solid condition, they should net you in the range of $15 and $20 each, but other than that, thats it.

I greatly appreciate your opinion.  Thank you, thank you.  I am not very good at this since this is my first time trying to do this.  Unless somebody else disagrees, I'm guessing I should offer $50.00 and go to a max of $75.00.  Anybody else want to weigh in? :?:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:31 am 

I'm currently ridding myself of similar items. Even with a lot of it listed at $1 - $3, people don't seem to be interested. I did sell my EMs (all four volumes) but I listed them low to get rid of them (sold between $10 - 15 each). I'd say $75 is a good amount, considering the worth of the Encyclopedias. I don't think it'd get more than that, unless someone really, really, wanted it.

[Edit]

Oops, you meant Wizard Spell Compendiums. Are all four of them there? If not, then I'd say $75 might be a little high, seeing as you'd end up with an incomplete set.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:56 am 

serleran wrote:I'm currently ridding myself of similar items. Even with a lot of it listed at $1 - $3, people don't seem to be interested. I did sell my EMs (all four volumes) but I listed them low to get rid of them (sold between $10 - 15 each). I'd say $75 is a good amount, considering the worth of the Encyclopedias. I don't think it'd get more than that, unless someone really, really, wanted it.

[Edit]

Oops, you meant Wizard Spell Compendiums. Are all four of them there? If not, then I'd say $75 might be a little high, seeing as you'd end up with an incomplete set.

You are right, it's not a complete set.  I'm now thinking my max should be $60.00.  I really appreciate all this advice.  The more, the better. Thanks! :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:17 am 

benjoshua wrote:
You are right, it's not a complete set.  I'm now thinking my max should be $60.00.  I really appreciate all this advice.  The more, the better. Thanks! :)

Regardless, you should still be able to sell them off at least $15 each.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:14 am 

If you get the lot, I'll give you $5 for the Complete Ranger's Handbook, I've been trying to find a excellent+ condition copy to replace my dog-eared, torn up one to no avail....

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:24 pm 

Score!  What a great lot in overall excellent condition. :D

I was a little worried when part of the directions to the house read: "when you see propane holding tanks on your right the size of semi trailers and a JUNK YARD on your left, that is HAM RD.  Turn left AND I'm about 1/2 mile down on the right. White double-wide, 2 Magnolias in the yard and probably a red Dodge Dakota."  I was thinking I was going to have to fork the money over the barrel of a shot gun while the family dog was barking like mad 2" from my crotch.  She turned out to be a very nice lady with a son who no longer played.

None of the books have writing or highlighting and many look like they were never cracked open.  I am quite pleased.  They'll go up on eBay in mid-March.  Thanks to everyone who helped.  I greatly appreciate it!

Sure, CSH, the Rangers book is yours.  I'll PM you with details. :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:20 pm 

These items just sold and are no longer available:

PLAYERS OPTION: COMBAT & TATICS
PLAYERS OPTION: SKILLS AND POWERS
ARMS AND EQUIPMENT 2nd edition
COMPLETE BOOK OF ELVES 2nd edition
COMPLETE PALADINS HANDBOOK 2nd edition
COMPLETE FIGHTERS HANDBOOK 2nd edition
COMPLETE DRUIDS HANDBOOK 2nd edition
COMPLETE BOOK OF HUMANOIDS 2nd edition
COMPLETE BARDS HANDBOOK 2nd edition
COMPLETE THIEF'S HANDBOOK 2nd edition

My gain is your gain! :)