Unopened Silver Anniversary box?
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:31 am 

Wandering Monster wrote:Hey Mike,

I recently came into possession of one of the 1,000 sets with a signed print by Jeff Easley.

The box itself is slightly caved in, but the contents are in great shape -- except for the fact that the staples holding all the modules, etc. together are rusted.  (The previous owner wasn't too concerned about proper storage, apparently.)

So my question is, if I decide to break up this set, how much do  you think the rusted staples will affect the prices I'm likely to get for these?

And what might the signed Jeff Easley print be worth, praytell?

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

I have to admit I've never seen the Easley signed print auctioned separately...could fetch a nice price to someone that has the regular version and just wants to replace the print!

The spine rust is a problem.  I would use a method to clean the staples off, but often they cause marks on the middle section of the module that can't be as easily taken care of.  I've never seen anything that recent, inside a box, get rusty staples!  But generally the mention the words "rust" in a description you are looking at a hit in price.  As long as the rest of the module looks nice, and the rusty staples haven't caused any staining of the paper and aren't that visible, you shouldn't get much less than the prices I listed. If the rust is rather prominent, at least $5 less for the cheaper modules and probably $10 less at least for L3.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:55 am 

Wandering Monster wrote:
The box itself is slightly caved in, but the contents are in great shape -- except for the fact that the staples holding all the modules, etc. together are rusted.  (The previous owner wasn't too concerned about proper storage, apparently.)

Agree with Mike that it depends upon the amount of staple rust.  

The sad truth is that staples can rust fast even in sealed box sets. I remember opening about four sealed chaosium box sets in a row all of which has staple rust on the booklets.  It is really common.  The only thing which would guarantee zero rust inside a sealed box set would be if there was a desiccant placed inside before it was sealed (i.e. like they often do with electrical equipment).  As to storage, I am not an chemist - but I would think that storage in a place where temperature changes are significant - probably accelerates this process.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:25 pm 

Hi there!

red_bus wrote:
Agree with Mike that it depends upon the amount of staple rust.  

The sad truth is that staples can rust fast even in sealed box sets. I remember opening about four sealed chaosium box sets in a row all of which has staple rust on the booklets.  It is really common.  The only thing which would guarantee zero rust inside a sealed box set would be if there was a desiccant placed inside before it was sealed (i.e. like they often do with electrical equipment).  As to storage, I am not an chemist - but I would think that storage in a place where temperature changes are significant - probably accelerates this process.

I agree that storage in a place where temperature changes are significant, accelerates the oxidation process.

Most of this collection was stored in plastic totes in an "outbuilding" that didn't seem to be heated, so my guess is that there was a lot of fluctuation of temperatures in a largely uncontrolled environment.

I could post pictures if anyone's interested.

Thanks,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Previous