Unopened Silver Anniversary box?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:42 am 

HELP!

I was at my local gaming store today (2/9) when I picked up what seems to be an un-opened Silver Anniversary set.  The shrinkwrap was in excellent condition, looks like it is original shrink (if it had been shrinkwrapped recently it would be gathered on the edges of the box, and this one is gathered on the ends of the box);  no holes or anything; it still had the price tag ($59.99) and I got it on sale at $36.99.  I do have an opened Silver Anniversary box set, and compared that one's weight to this one I bought today--same weight.  (Added later:  I do have all of the items in the opened box set; I got the print and the remaining items in separate deals.

DId I get a steal or did I get hosed?  (I'm a little uneasy about opening it for obvious reasons!)  In other words, is there anything/anyway I can tell if this is really an unopened box set--a true rarity, from what I've read on the Acaeum--or am I set up for a fall?

And, if it IS an unopened box set, how much could it be worth--given that only 5,000 were supposedly made.

Opinions? :?:

Last edited by sleepyCO on Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:28 am 

sleepyCO wrote:

DId I get a steal or did I get hosed?  (I'm a little uneasy about opening it for obvious reasons!)  

I can't think of any reason for not opening it to check.  If you are concerned about value - it is actually worth more opened up and sold piece by piece on ebay. That should solve your problem - just rip off the shrinkwrap and check.

sleepyCO wrote:
In other words, is there anything/anyway I can tell if this is really an unopened box set--a true rarity, from what I've read on the Acaeum--or am I set up for a fall?

You got a really good price.  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:57 am 

Hey, I have an unopened set as well, and I have heard that some sets failed to include L3.  Do you mind telling me the weight so I can check my set? :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:00 am 

I think you got a got a good buy.  I picked up another one in shrink last summer from a gamestore along my travels.  I don't think I would call them a rarity.  Some game stores still have them on their shelves and they are frequently on Ebay.  At $37 it is definitely a good buy though.

The one thing you want to check is if there is a sticker that says it contains a signed print or if it is a regular set.  It should be on the front.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:41 am 

I'd leave it sealed.  I have never heard of anyone missing out on an L3 in any new set before.  I also disagree that a sealed set is worth less than if you open it and sell it piecemeal.  I think you can sometimes get more for an already opened set if you sell it off piece by piece, but I think that you find that if left it sealed and sold it on Ebay you would get more than an opened set no matter how you sell it.  That's my experience anyway. :)

I have a sealed set myself and if you can posts some pictures of the top. bottom and sides I can give you a pretty good guestimate if I think its legit or not.  Shrinkwrapped items are my bag. ;)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:16 am 

bclarkie wrote:I'd leave it sealed.

Absolutely and by all means leave it sealed  8O  8O  8O

There's a sub-species of D&D collector, myself included, which are absolutely, positively addicted to shrink wrapped items.  Typically we are looking for near mint/mint items and an item in shrink can be a good indicator of condition although I've purchased many modules where the shrink is missing in significant quantities and the module is severely rogered (and I don't mean owned by some dude named Roger ;))

Sounds like you got a great deal and a well-placed auction should be able to net you a nice sum; however, if you should want to trade for an opened one in near mint condition plus a little extra, send me a PM.

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:19 am 

Absolutely a good deal for $37. I just bought mine for $100 and thought that was a good price... also, I'd leave it shrink-wrapped, especially if you have another one. Over time, there will be fewer and fewer shrink copies, so, by attrition, they will increase in value... assuming 2nd edition is still remembered by that time.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:52 am 

Seriously I am going to open an addiction clinic to help people addicted to shrink wrap.  Everything will be shrinkwrapped, so if you want to eat you will have to take the shrink off your food, as will the TV remote control, toilets etc etc... At night I will play a sound loop of tearing shrinkwrap, at barely subconscious, levels into the rooms. Eventually by day four, we will progress to ripping the shrink off modules and box sets.  

You will thank me for it  :D

Let's go fly a kite

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:04 am 

red_bus wrote:Seriously I am going to open an addiction clinic to help people addicted to shrink wrap.  Everything will be shrinkwrapped, so if you want to eat you will have to take the shrink off your food, as will the TV remote control, toilets etc etc... At night I will play a sound loop of tearing shrinkwrap, at barely subconscious, levels into the rooms. Eventually by day four, we will progress to ripping the shrink off modules and box sets.  

:lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:38 am 

red_bus wrote:Seriously I am going to open an addiction clinic to help people addicted to shrink wrap.  Everything will be shrinkwrapped, so if you want to eat you will have to take the shrink off your food, as will the TV remote control, toilets etc etc... At night I will play a sound loop of tearing shrinkwrap, at barely subconscious, levels into the rooms. Eventually by day four, we will progress to ripping the shrink off modules and box sets.  

There's a small grocery store near my home that sells shrink wrapped pomelos.  I tried one and it was ok, but I'm not eager to buy any more shrink wrapped produce.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:35 pm 

red_bus wrote:Seriously I am going to open an addiction clinic to help people addicted to shrink wrap.

Transcript from the Acaeum Shrink Support and Healing After Tearing Group or ASSHAT

Red_Bus:  My name is Red_Bus and I will be the group coordinator this afternoon. (friendly)
Group:  Hi Red_Bus. (welcoming chorus)
Red_Bus:  Today we have a new friend present in need of our support that only this group can provide.
Red_Bus:  Smarmy, welcome to ASSHAT. Why don't you introduce yourself to the group? (concerned)
Smarmy:  Well, ok.  But I really don't think I belong here.  (annoyed)
Smarmy:  Hello.  (pause)  My name is Smarmy and I'm addicted to shrink. (embarassed)
Group:  Hi Smarmy. (welcoming chorus)
Red_Bus:  Please tell us when you first realized you had a problem with shrink.  Remember, you're among friends now and no one will judge you. (caring)
Smarmy:  OK.  It all started innocently enough and just seemed to spiral out of control.
Group:  (nods)
Smarmy: Well, I was a casual buyer on Ebay.  You know the usual stuff, a copy of A1 here, a little B4 now and again, and a G1-2-3 for those special occasions.  As I said, no big deal.  We all do it. (assertive)
Red_Bus: Yes.  Go on, please. (caring)
Smarmy:  Well, one day while perusing the RPG category on Ebay, I noticed the gallery listing for a Dragonlance module that was particularly shiny.  I thought to myself,  "Here's another dolt who doesn't know how to work the flash on his digital camera."  You know, I thought the image was overexposed.  So what the heck, with nothing better to do and time to kill, I clicked on the link.
Group: (gasp from the back)
Red_Bus:  Please everyone. Let's give Smarmy the respect he deserves for coming here today.  Please go on.  (caring)
Smarmy:  As I said, I thought the picture was overexposed.  Boy, was I wrong!  Looking more closely at the listing and checking the image again, I realized that the DL10 was in shrink. It was the most pristine specimen I had ever seen and best of all, it was swaddled lovingly in beautiful, transparent shrink. (gleeful)
Smarmy:  Come on guys!  I hadn't seen one of those since I was in Junior High!  Not in that condition anyway.  You know what mystical, nostalgic power those things have. (excited)
Smarmy: At that moment, I realized I had to own it. Own it.  Own it.  Own it, whatever the cost.  (manical)
Red_Bus: OK, Smarmy. Calm down.  (concerned)
Group:  (uncomfortable fidgeting)
Red_Bus: Please continue.  (concerned)
Smarmy: Well, you guys can guess the rest.  I put in a bid that guaranteed I would win.  You know the type. The one that Deg... Can I mention names?
Red_Bus:  Probaly best if you didn't.  We're all friends here, but some of the Acaeum members have yet to find their way to ASSHAT.
Smarmy:  Anyway, I put in a bid that would give those exorbitant bidders the shakes.  (calm)
Red_Bus:  What happened next?
Smarmy:  I won.  (calm)
Red_Bus:  And then?
Smarmy:  Well for a few days, I was back to normal.  You know because the guy had to ship it to me.
Smarmy:  I even managed to score some fairly decent mods during the time I was waiting.  Dude, I bought this awesome H1 in VGC from some guy in the UK! (excited)
Red_Bus:  Smarmy, that's a discussion for another group.  Please stay on topic.  (assertive)
Smarmy:  Sorry.  Where was I?  Oh yeah, so for a few days I guess I was fine.  Until IT arrived.  (trembling)
Group:  (worried)
Smarmy:  Packaged for shipment like any other module, it was nestled in a poly bag surrounded by layers of cardboard.  You know, to prevent bending and warping.
Smarmy:  My god! It was one of the most breath taking sights of my existence - two layers of transparent rapture.  The poly bag with its dull sheen and protective coat sheltering the gleaming, the shining, the beautiful shrink wrapped DL 10.  (joyful)
Smarmy:  Oh, my Precious.  We are reunited at long last.  (starts to cry)
Red_Bus: Smarmy?  (concerned)
Red_Bus: Smarmy?  (concerned)
Smarmy:  Yeah, I'm ok.  Give me a sec. (pauses to wipe tears)
Group:  (understanding looks)
Smarmy:  Well... I think you guys know what happened next.  I couldn't control the Shrink-Lust.  If it was wrapped, I had to have it.  If it was sealed, it must be mine.  Day and night, all I could think about was "Shrink". Beautiful, transparent shrink.  (excited)
Smarmy:  Buy It Now and ebay auctions were my new best friend.  Together we scored more and more shrink ... The only thing holding me back was when I bought from Canada and their damn, slow-as-Christmas "Canada Post" and all their little customs and duties forms.  Bahhh!  (angry)
Red_Bus: Smarmy!  Canada Post is NOT the problem.  You know what the problem is and we're here to help.  (authoratative)
Smarmy:  You're right as always, Red_Bus.  (humbled)
Smarmy:  OK.  I have a problem so what can I do about it?  (despondent)
Red_Bus: That's the first step, Smarmy.  We're glad to have you with us.  (pleased)
Group:  (words of support)
Red_Bus  In order to help break this addiction, you must first learn to cultivate an appreciation for the beauty that is already all around you.  A near mint/mint module can be as aesthetically pleasing as a shrink wrapped one.  
Smarmy: Really?  (intrigued)
Red_Bus:  Yes.  Look at this mint copy of T1-4.  (He lifts a module from the table.)  
Red_Bus: No spine damage.  No cover wear.  The maps are included.  And best of all, you can flip through this book and actually read it and enjoy it.  With shrink, you can't do that.  (paternalistic)
Group:  (from the back... Amen.  Tell him, brother!)
Red_Bus:  Settle down, people.  I think he's getting the message.
Red_Bus:  Smarmy, please take a closer look and see what I mean.  (passes the module to Smarmy)
Smarmy:  (takes it cautiously)
Smarmy:  Wow!  I've never seen one in such good shape.  (Examining exterior and spine.)
Red_Bus  Ok.  Now give it back before it gets damaged.  (a little huffy)
Smarmy:  Ok Dude.  Calm down.  I was just looking.  Don't get your panties in a wad.  Here you go.  (hands it back)
Group:  (titters)
Red_Bus:  Sorry.  Where was I?  (regains composure)
Red_Bus:  Yes... Now that you understand beauty can exist alongside and more importantly outside of shrink, we are ready for the next step.  (caring)
Smarmy:  Really?  That was fast.  I think I can handle this program.  (positive)
Red_Bus:  Smarmy, for your sake, I hope so.  (concerned)
Smarmy:  Me too.  (positive)
Red_Bus  (raises a shrink wrapped X4 from the table)
Group:  (cries of delight)
Smarmy:  Hey, that's a nice copy.  May I hold it?  (respectful)
Red_Bus:  Certainly, Smarmy.  Here you go.  (tears the shrink off and passes it over.)
Group:  (gasps of shock and terror)
Smarmy:  What the hell, Dude?!?  Are you crazy?  (angry)
Red_Bus:  No I am not.  See it is evey bit as beautiful as when it was trapped in the shrink.  And now, I have freed it from the tyranny of the plastic for us all to enjoy, especially for you and the other members of this group.  (assertive)
Smarmy:  (stunned)
Red_Bus:  Smarmy?  (caring)
Smarmy:  (still stunned)
Red_Bus:  Smarmy?  (caring)
Smarmy:  You guys are a bunch of asshats, and I'm getting out of here.  (worried)
Red_Bus:  Smarmy, you know that's not possible.  Not just yet.  (concerned)
Smarmy:  Oh yeah.  Try to stop me and I'm taking this with me. (gathers the bits of shrink from the floor.)
Red_Bus:  Smarmy, please return to your seat.  (authoritative)
Smarmy:  You're the one that needs help!  Not me!  How could you do that to the defenseless shrink?  It never did you any harm!  (shouting)
Red_Bus:  Smarmy, calm down.  (authoritative)
Smarmy:  You calm down!  I'm out of here! (shouting)
Group:  (pleas to return to seat)
Red_Bus:  Smarmy, last chance.  Please sit down.  (authoritative)
Smarmy:  (heads towards the door)
Red_Bus:  Ok.. You forced my hand.... (resigned)
Red_Bus:  We've got a Code Red in the ASSHAT group.  Send in the M-Bag.  (a little too happy)
Smarmy:  No. No.  Anything but the M-Bag.  (shocked)
Red_Bus:  I warned you.  (resigned)
Group:  (crying)
Smarmy:  You'll never keep me down!  I'll be back! Just you wait!  I'll make you (muffled sounds as the M-Bag is thrown over the raging Shrink addict)
Group:  (crying)
Smarmy:  (carried from the room in the M-Bag)
Red_Bus:  (regains composure)
Red_Bus:  Sorry about that little display, folks.  Unfortunately, it happens sometimes.  (apologetic)
Red_Bus:  Ok.  Who wants to go next?  (caring)

:D  :D  :D

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:47 pm 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

So, I am Nurse Ratched, to your McMurphy, in One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest !!  8O

Let's go fly a kite

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:36 am 

Mars wrote:I think you got a got a good buy.  I picked up another one in shrink last summer from a gamestore along my travels.  I don't think I would call them a rarity.  Some game stores still have them on their shelves and they are frequently on Ebay.  At $37 it is definitely a good buy though.

The one thing you want to check is if there is a sticker that says it contains a signed print or if it is a regular set.  It should be on the front.

Yes, it has the sticker on the front:  "Includes Signed Limited Edition Print by Jeff Easley".

On the back, it has a much larger sticker with "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" and "Silver Anniversary Collector's Edition", along with what is in the boxed set.

Both stickers are on the outside of the shrinkwrap.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 am 

Mars wrote:I think you got a got a good buy.  I picked up another one in shrink last summer from a gamestore along my travels.  I don't think I would call them a rarity.  Some game stores still have them on their shelves and they are frequently on Ebay.  At $37 it is definitely a good buy though.

I've torn open, separated and sold every single set I've ever owned. The reason being, years ago I got a SW set up on ebay and sold it for $100.  Wow, I thought, that's great!  Until I sold an opened set piece by piece and found:

$15 each for G1, G2, G3, I6, S2 and B2
$10 for the nice "history of TSR" booklet and Easley print
$10 for the box (optional; I've sold a copy or two but they tend to sit for awhile; mostly I use them to store/carry D&D stuff of my own)
$50-$75 for L3

Conservatively, an opened set sold piecemeal will get you a guaranteed $160-$185 on ebay; you'll seldom get that for even an unopened/sealed copy fo the same.

I know, makes no sense. BTW, an unopned copy sold at Gencon last year for $125, that may be the most I've seen one go for...and still way below what you could get for them if you opened and sold them in pieces.

You'd think, someday, all this destruction of SW copies would cause the few remaining to rise in value someday...nowadays if I came across a sw copy I'd leave it that way, as was mentioned they are getting fewer in number.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:00 pm 

I know, makes no sense. BTW, an unopned copy sold at Gencon last year for $125, that may be the most I've seen one go for...and still way below what you could get for them if you opened and sold them in pieces.

It makes sense because most people want one or two things out of the set, but not the whole box. This is just diminishing marginal value.  Segmenting the market in this way will result in the prices we see.

In much the same way, your car is worth probably double if you sold it piecemeal because each part would be sold to someone who needs each part. For example, if you buy the whole car, you probably don't really care about the quality of the water pump. As long as it works, your happy. But if you already own a car like it, and your water pump doesn't work, you'll put more value on a replacement one.

You'd think, someday, all this destruction of SW copies would cause the few remaining to rise in value someday...nowadays if I came across a sw copy I'd leave it that way, as was mentioned they are getting fewer in number.

I think this is what Brian was getting at (at least, implicity). In the longrun, SW items will become in low supply because they get opened up for a variety of reasons (to use, to sell piecemeal, etc). As such, if you plan on keeping it for a while, it is better to keep it sealed given that it's value can be safely expected to rise due to precisely the same market forces that make it a better bargain to open them up in the short-run.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:08 pm 

sleepyCO wrote:Yes, it has the sticker on the front:  "Includes Signed Limited Edition Print by Jeff Easley".

This makes it one of the special 1000 copies with a signed print rather than the unsigned 4000.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:04 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:
Absolutely and by all means leave it sealed  8O  8O  8O

There's a sub-species of D&D collector, myself included, which are absolutely, positively addicted to shrink wrapped items.

Amen Brother!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:33 pm 

Hey Mike,

I recently came into possession of one of the 1,000 sets with a signed print by Jeff Easley.

The box itself is slightly caved in, but the contents are in great shape -- except for the fact that the staples holding all the modules, etc. together are rusted.  (The previous owner wasn't too concerned about proper storage, apparently.)

So my question is, if I decide to break up this set, how much do  you think the rusted staples will affect the prices I'm likely to get for these?

And what might the signed Jeff Easley print be worth, praytell?

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Badmike wrote:I've torn open, separated and sold every single set I've ever owned. The reason being, years ago I got a SW set up on ebay and sold it for $100.  Wow, I thought, that's great!  Until I sold an opened set piece by piece and found:

$15 each for G1, G2, G3, I6, S2 and B2
$10 for the nice "history of TSR" booklet and Easley print
$10 for the box (optional; I've sold a copy or two but they tend to sit for awhile; mostly I use them to store/carry D&D stuff of my own)
$50-$75 for L3

Conservatively, an opened set sold piecemeal will get you a guaranteed $160-$185 on ebay; you'll seldom get that for even an unopened/sealed copy fo the same.

Mike B.

Next