Netheril and The North Box Sets
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author


Active Collector

Posts: 19
Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Last Visit: Jan 30, 2008

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:54 pm 
 

Hi. I am curious if any of you have an idea of what these go for or should go for on eBay? I did a search and found nothing for The North box set and only one for Netheril but it was in a store and from a guy that seems to list his store items at very high rates so I don't usually include his store prices in determining a starting point for something.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5617
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 25, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:13 pm 
 

Probably $25 or so. They used to go for a lot for no reason at all.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1209
Joined: Mar 08, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 26, 2021
Location: Close to GenCon

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:49 pm 
 

The North could get $50 or more if in VF or better. It doesn't seem to hit Ebay very often.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7942
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 25, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:02 pm 
 

darwinianlaw wrote:Hi. I am curious if any of you have an idea of what these go for or should go for on eBay? I did a search and found nothing for The North box set and only one for Netheril but it was in a store and from a guy that seems to list his store items at very high rates so I don't usually include his store prices in determining a starting point for something.


These were the last two box sets to appear before the TSR implosion of the late 90s, and as such were short printed (Netheril even less than The North).  As such, they sell for me about $50 or so each when I get them.

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1879
Joined: Mar 26, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 26, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:40 pm 
 


** expired eBay auction **




North up at the moment ($20 with over a day left) - last one I sold was about £28 iirc (ties in with Mikes $50). I didn't realise Netheril was as rare - picked up mine for less than £5 a while ago.



(As game items I'd say that The North was okay but poorly laid out, information could have just gone in one decent sized source book. Netheril though I really like, loads of information, neat maps etc - but I like all that Myth Drannor.Cormanthor stuff...)


You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

  


Active Collector

Posts: 19
Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Last Visit: Jan 30, 2008

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:31 am 
 

Yeah  in terms of actual usefulness I do not think either has a whole lot to offer. Nowhere near as expansive and informative as the two Undermountain sets and the City of Greyhawk. Zhentil Keep is also another one that has a decent amount of info. As for my two sets they are both in Near Mint condition including the actual boxes they are in. I have only listed the Netheril set so far but I did it in the store for a buck less than the other one that is currently listed. I am going to leave it therre until I do a little more research. Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2737
Joined: May 31, 2007
Last Visit: Dec 30, 2020

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:36 am 
 

I wouldn't buy either one of them for that amount. I picked up a copy of each one for $25 (that is, $25 combined for them both) in a gamestore, and think $50 separate is ridiculous. But, I'm basing on usability, really, and don't find either one to be that great... uncommon, in rarity, maybe, but 'grats if you can get that amount for them.


Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

  


Active Collector

Posts: 19
Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Last Visit: Jan 30, 2008

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:41 am 
 

serleran wrote:I wouldn't buy either one of them for that amount. I picked up a copy of each one for $25 (that is, $25 combined for them both) in a gamestore, and think $50 separate is ridiculous. But, I'm basing on usability, really, and don't find either one to be that great... uncommon, in rarity, maybe, but 'grats if you can get that amount for them.


Oh I don't expect to sell either of them for that price. I just stuck one in there because I had done all the scans and figured I would list it. When I do a little more research I will auction them both with a reasonable starting price. I agree with you on the usability of them to a true gamer but this is a collector's forum so that was how I was phrasing my question. Actually collectors are probably willing to play alot less for most items, unless they are those rare hard to find items, than a person who is going to use it to play. I have no clue how many peoplee play or have played Dungeons and Dragons that are now collecting or selling the items. It was a big part of my early teen years.

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4745
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 18, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:53 am 
 

serleran wrote:I wouldn't buy either one of them for that amount. I picked up a copy of each one for $25 (that is, $25 combined for them both) in a gamestore, and think $50 separate is ridiculous. But, I'm basing on usability, really, and don't find either one to be that great... uncommon, in rarity, maybe, but 'grats if you can get that amount for them.


Twenty-five dollars total for both box sets is a darn good price....but it is rare to see that kind of price on Ebay for either of these box sets if they are complete and in great condition.  The North may not be a rarity but it doesnt come up on Ebay very often and Badmike and Burntwire are pretty spot on with their price range of $40 - $50.

I will see quite a few of these Forgotten Realms box sets going for around $20 but in almost every case they are incomplete.  Ruins of Zhentil Keep, Spellbound, and some of the other sets contain Monstrous Compendiums and cards that are usually missing from the sets.  I had to search Ebay for several months before I finally found a Spellbound box set that was complete and didnt look like someone stomped on it.


You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7942
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 25, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:34 am 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Twenty-five dollars total for both box sets is a darn good price....but it is rare to see that kind of price on Ebay for either of these box sets if they are complete and in great condition.  The North may not be a rarity but it doesnt come up on Ebay very often and Badmike and Burntwire are pretty spot on with their price range of $40 - $50.

I will see quite a few of these Forgotten Realms box sets going for around $20 but in almost every case they are incomplete.  Ruins of Zhentil Keep, Spellbound, and some of the other sets contain Monstrous Compendiums and cards that are usually missing from the sets.  I had to search Ebay for several months before I finally found a Spellbound box set that was complete and didnt look like someone stomped on it.


I've sold quite a few of both in the $50 range. The key is being complee, which box sets rarely are, and in very nice condition. Beat up or used condition might bring you closer to $30-$40. You might start bidding at $20 and hav a BIN at $45 or something like that if you are going to sell them in auction.  Since I typically use my Ebay store my amounts are skewed higher, but I've never not sold a copy I listed. I just checked and my last copies of each went for $50 each.

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1