Buffy Books Appraisal
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:49 pm 

O.K., so I bought a bunch of stuff from this store that didn't pay it's taxes and I've been selling it off bit by bit.  This week I listed several Buffy the Vampire Slayer books and the bidding has gone up pretty quick, especially on one of the auctions.  Anybody know if this item really is rare and valuable or should this be mentioned under "Silliest Auction Price of the year?"  I'm not complaining, just curious.

Here's the link to one of the auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=024

Thanks ahead of time for your expertise. :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:37 pm 

benjoshua wrote:O.K., so I bought a bunch of stuff from this store that didn't pay it's taxes and I've been selling it off bit by bit.  This week I listed several Buffy the Vampire Slayer books and the bidding has gone up pretty quick, especially on one of the auctions.  Anybody know if this item really is rare and valuable or should this be mentioned under "Silliest Auction Price of the year?"  I'm not complaining, just curious.

Here's the link to one of the auctions:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Thanks ahead of time for your expertise. :)

Combine OOP, low print run, and cult tv show, and you have a winner...!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:48 pm 

The price your auctions are selling for really surprise me.  My impression is that they didn't sell very well when they were on the shelf.  Maybe the cover price was too high or they just didn't appeal to the roleplaying crowd.  I picked up a complete set of Buffy books for $1 each from a local store clearing out old stock.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:04 pm 

Badmike wrote:Combine OOP, low print run, and cult tv show, and you have a winner...!

The system is also highly regarded in some circles (and was never released as a stand-alone book), which would probably add to the desirability.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:36 pm 

Buffy's big.  My 14 year old is now watching the series on dvds from Green Cine or some such - she's a huge fan.  Glad you're having a good run of auctions!

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:04 pm 

The madness continues...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=024

Not that I'm complaining. :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:40 pm 

benjoshua wrote:The madness continues...

From what I was told at my local gamestore today (when I looked to see if he had any cheap Buffy he'd be willing to sell me) is that this item was one of the last one's released, when the game was about to go out of print anyway, and a lot of store owners didn't order it (as it was about to become a dead game).  So it's probably the hardest to find of the Buffy RPG items...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:04 am 

Badmike wrote:
From what I was told at my local gamestore today (when I looked to see if he had any cheap Buffy he'd be willing to sell me) is that this item was one of the last one's released, when the game was about to go out of print anyway, and a lot of store owners didn't order it (as it was about to become a dead game).  So it's probably the hardest to find of the Buffy RPG items...

Mike B.

I knew something was going on.  Thanks! :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:35 pm 

benjoshua wrote:The madness continues...

I want to know how much extra, if anything, the two other items are adding on.  Because my FLGS still has a copy of The Magic Box sitting on their shelf... :D

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:08 pm 

g026r wrote:
I want to know how much extra, if anything, the two other items are adding on.  Because my FLGS still has a copy of The Magic Box sitting on their shelf... :D

The Director's Screen can be purchased on eBay right now for less than $5.00 plus shipping and the Character Journal thing is nothing but basically lined pages and a Buffy cover.  It's got to be the Magic Box book.  Go for it!  I'd like to make one request.  List yours after mine has sold.  It's just a few more days anyway.  Thanks!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:58 pm 

benjoshua wrote:I'd like to make one request.  List yours after mine has sold.  It's just a few more days anyway.  Thanks!

No need to worry about that; due to the odd hours it has, there's no way I could make it there any earlier than Saturday anyway. :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:45 pm 

I have a copy of this that I would sell for that price too but your auction just looks like 2 people going at it which makes me doubt there would be a repeat.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:35 pm 

It uses UniSystem, right? Blarg. Not a system I particularly like, but I did find it neat when I first saw it in the Witchcraft game.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:10 pm 

g026r, you are in luck!  The price is even more ridiculous and, more important, a third bidder has entered the fray!  Yay for you! :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:39 pm 

$178.50.  Well, I guess everybody else is going to be checking their local game store for any unsold copies of this game supplement.  And the buyer's already communicated to me about the total w/shipping, so it looks like he'll actually pay. :)  Wow! :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:37 pm 

Paid! :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:48 pm 

My local game store is operated by the guys who wrote this RPG from Eden Studios.  

I have a set of BTVS rulebooks I bought when they first came out.  They're mint since my group has never gotten around to playing it.

Maybe it's time I checked out this whole Ebay interweb thing.    :!:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:52 pm 

Figure I may as well post an update:

Got the book last week, but haven't been able to make it to the post office (since I want to know the weight of the damn thing and acceptable shipping methods before I list it).

Figure I'll get that done tonight and put it up then.  Also nice: the store sold it to me at par, instead of the price they had it stickered at (from back when the Canadian dollar was only worth $0.80 US).  At the very least, I should be able to break even. :D

Next