Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:01 am 

What are these typically valued at?

Thanks,
ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:07 pm 

Plaag wrote:What are these typically valued at?

Thanks,
ShaneG.

I sold a complete lot for about $5 per magazine.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:22 pm 

paid same but can also be $10-$15 per magazine. patience to wait for long run works well for this

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:14 am 

Anyone any idea if there really were 13 copies of the magazine or just 12?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:20 pm 

TheDozingDragon wrote in Little Wars magazine:Anyone any idea if there really were 13 copies of the magazine or just 12?

Issue 13 appears as a portion of The Dragon issue 22:
Dragon Magazine, Issue 22 (Featuring: Little Wars, Issue 13): TSR 2/1979  - Wayne's Books

Similarly, Ares Magazine continued on as part of Dragon Magazine after TSR bought SPI. It's a pretty common practice in magazine publishing.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:13 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Little Wars magazine:
TheDozingDragon wrote in Little Wars magazine:Anyone any idea if there really were 13 copies of the magazine or just 12?

Issue 13 appears as a portion of The Dragon issue 22:
Dragon Magazine, Issue 22 (Featuring: Little Wars, Issue 13): TSR 2/1979  - Wayne's Books

Similarly, Ares Magazine continued on as part of Dragon Magazine after TSR bought SPI. It's a pretty common practice in magazine publishing.

Thanks! I've got the 12 and think I have that Dragon mag somewhere......now to start searching for the Strategic Review  :(

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:51 pm 

TheDozingDragon wrote in Little Wars magazine:now to start searching for the Strategic Review

Not that hard either. Maybe the first couple of issues will take effort (plus the super-rare Strategic Preview, with numbering oddities of its own), while the rest are easy to find at $10-$20 each.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:04 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Little Wars magazine:
TheDozingDragon wrote in Little Wars magazine:now to start searching for the Strategic Review

Not that hard either. Maybe the first couple of issues will take effort (plus the super-rare Strategic Preview, with numbering oddities of its own), while the rest are easy to find at $10-$20 each.

Here's hoping. I specifically want old magazines with miniatures ads in. I blog them and try to update the Lost Minis WIKI. I am basically trying to archive the old lead before it disappears forever.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:24 pm 

There are few illustrations or ads in Strategic Review - you'll have better luck with magazines like The Courier, Fantasy Modeling, The Squadron, or Wargamers Digest. My copies of The Squadron from the early '70s have some interesting ads from Guidon Games (not minis, but relevant to the early development of D&D, so they're interesting to me at least).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:24 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Little Wars magazine:There are few illustrations or ads in Strategic Review - you'll have better luck with magazines like The Courier, Fantasy Modeling, The Squadron, or Wargamers Digest. My copies of The Squadron from the early '70s have some interesting ads from Guidon Games (not minis, but relevant to the early development of D&D, so they're interesting to me at least).

I have the fanyasy modelling, excellent magazine and a shame it died....I have some Courier but no Squadron? I will look into it, thanks!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:22 pm 

TheDozingDragon wrote in Little Wars magazine:Squadron?

The articles are about WWII plastic models, but there are extensive lead-mini ads with photos in every issue.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:36 pm 

For those who have a Little Wars collection, are there any ads for D&D in the issues? Was TSR still trying to advertise D&D to the wargamers at that time?

More specifically, I'm interested if there were any ads for the Basic Set in the 1977-78 issues. The Basic Set came out in July '77 and the first ad in Dragon was in the Sept '77 issue, so the most likely issues of Little Wars would be from #7 (Fall 1977) to #12 (Oct '78). There might also be ads for the first two AD&D hardcovers from '78, or TSR boardgames.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:27 am 

Zenopus wrote in Little Wars magazine:For those who have a Little Wars collection, are there any ads for D&D in the issues? Was TSR still trying to advertise D&D to the wargamers at that time?

More specifically, I'm interested if there were any ads for the Basic Set in the 1977-78 issues. The Basic Set came out in July '77 and the first ad in Dragon was in the Sept '77 issue, so the most likely issues of Little Wars would be from #7 (Fall 1977) to #12 (Oct '78). There might also be ads for the first two AD&D hardcovers from '78, or TSR boardgames.

Nothing that I have seen. The fantasy tended to be in the Dragon. I posted a few ads on my blog - here is a link to the relevant posts;

deartonyblair.blogspot.co.uk/search/lab ... 20Magazine

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:30 pm 

TheDozingDragon wrote in Little Wars magazine:
Zenopus wrote in Little Wars magazine:For those who have a Little Wars collection, are there any ads for D&D in the issues? Was TSR still trying to advertise D&D to the wargamers at that time?

Nothing that I have seen. The fantasy tended to be in the Dragon. I posted a few ads on my blog - here is a link to the relevant posts;

deartonyblair.blogspot.co.uk/search/lab ... 20Magazine

Perhaps a bit of a curveball on the topic, but I just looked at your blog, and I can relate to the Duypetrens contracture surgerys. Just had my 3rd surgery on left hand and they removed the knuckle on my left ring finger. I am from the states but my family is originally from England and the Netherlands - so I have the genes for this. I am only 39 yes old and my 1st surgery was when I was in my late 20's.

Well, we land in barren fields
On the Arizona plains

Publisher of AFS Magazine, 'Pulp literature meets old school gaming'  Halls of Tizun Thane

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:01 pm 

Scalydemon wrote in Little Wars magazine:
Perhaps a bit of a curveball on the topic, but I just looked at your blog, and I can relate to the Dupuytren's contracture surgerys. Just had my 3rd surgery on left hand and they removed the knuckle on my left ring finger. I am from the states but my family is originally from England and the Netherlands - so I have the genes for this. I am only 39 yes old and my 1st surgery was when I was in my late 20's.

It is genetic...apparently Margaret Thatcher had it......doh! I had my first operation about 10 years ago - right hand, then left hand a year later. Apparently continual massage and use of hand cream can help.....once this one is healed up I will do that! Fortunately it has never really interfered with anything beyond playing guitar.....Tony Iommi lost a couple of finger ends on his right hand in his youth and it didn't affect him  :D  I have a friend who is quite advanced in one hand but will not have an operation....the only eventual outcome of that is amputation of the digits. I am 52 and have noticed it since I was about 30 or so.......how is your left hand flexibility now?

Glad you looked at the blog! I am releasing a couple of Bob Olley sculpts for blog followers in the new year....the only thing I have actively done in 35 and more years in the hobby! Should have got the Maggie sculpt with Dupuytrens....... :D