Creeks and Crawdads valuation?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:10 pm 

About two years ago I bought a copy of Creeks and Crawdads.  This was one of those things you rarely get with an RPG product - it had a pedigree.

Came with the game, which was autographed by the author and numbered as one of the original playtest copies (with "for one of the first" written on it), a dot-matrix printed poster advertising the playtest, and a copy of the lone adventure made available for the game.

I see occasional requests for a copy of the game, and I've never ever seen it sold anywhere except the one copy I bought.

Valuable collector's item, or historical oddity?  I didn't pay much for it and consider myself an archivist more than a speculator, but I'm curious about this one.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:02 pm 

I haven't heard of this one.  What year was it published?  Who wrote it?

I would guess that most other people have never heard of it either so if you auctioned it off, it would probably pass most people by and not get many bids.  If you hyped it up here first then it would probably do better.  A valuation for it would probably be $10?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:29 pm 

The RPG Encyclopedia wrote:Creeks and Crawdads
   1st ed by M. Martin Costa (1986) Crustacium Games
   A humorous post-nuclear-apocalypse mini-RPG (24 pages) where the PC's are mutant semi-intelligent crawdads. After nuclear war wipes out all human life, these crawdads attempt to rebuild. However, the crawdads are still quite stupid, and thus require IQ rolls to attempt almost any activity.

Edit: old thread on the game about1744.html

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:16 pm 

It is not easy to get. I'd pay around $60 for it, and possibly more, depending if I could see it first.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:51 pm 

serleran wrote:It is not easy to get. I'd pay around $60 for it, and possibly more, depending if I could see it first.

Wow! You might be the only one.  From the looks of the old thread, it is as I suggested above - generally goes unnoticed and sells for a pittance.  Pretty typical for this type of publication.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:00 pm 

Here's a link to the pdf of the revised game.  By the looks of it, I'm sticking with my $10 evaluation.

http://www.twistedconfessions.com/atheneum/ccimpact.php

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:03 pm 

Here's another link with a bit about the game and a cover image:

http://www.godsmonsters.com/?ART=138

It actually looks familiar, I think I might have a copy of this somewhere as well.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:32 pm 

I'd buy a copy of the original game.  Don't know if I'd pay that much for it, but it looks like an amusing diversion.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:08 am 

Yeah, well, I've been looking for it for about 10 years and haven't seen one anywhere... so I'm more prone to spend more for what I want to get what I want and then not have to worry anymore.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.