TSR Promotional Press Kit Dungeons Dragons + More
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:07 pm 

First I want to thank everyone who will reply to this post. I am a seller on ebay and used to play D&D in my youth many years ago wish I could play again loved it. A few weeks to a month ago I was selling off a small D&D collection and this past week I bought a toy catalog collection and in it I found a 1984 TSR Promotional Press Kit. This Kit is complete and contains a catalog showing D&D RPG sets and Modules, AD&D sets and Modules, and of course info and pictures of each one, Accessories, Shows Star Frontiers, Has a other rpg section with gamma world and gang busters, Top Secret, Boot Hill, SPI Games, Dungeon the board game, Also shows HeartQuest Books, Publications showing Dragon Mag and Best of Dragon, Fantasy Forest Books, Endless Quest pick a path adventure books, Gaming and Adventure magazines, HAs a section with White Metal Miniatures and accessories, Has a color page showing a ton of the action figure TSR figures, Shows store displays, And licesing info. In the front is a folder section that has 16 single color full page glossy pages of new products coming out. It's the only one I have ever seen. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I will try and post some pictures asasp. I need to know should I split the set and sell those single pages seperatly from the kit or should I sell it as a complete set.  Any idea of value or if I should take and split it up.

I appreciate any help.
[email protected]
anttoys

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:41 pm 

Howdy,

Yes, that is a cool item. I'd keep it together.

I think you'll get a top price just from the members here but eBay is the only way to be sure you reach the largest audience possible. Of course, that will cost you the fees for eBay and PayPal.

In any case pictures are a must.

Good luck!

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:24 pm 

Here are 11 pictures of the kit I took fast so they aren't the best but it gives a good idea. I would guess overall there has to be 30-40 pages in the catalog and 14 individual brochure color glossy single sheets. in All so you are only seeing a portion of the kit. Any idea of value or anyone ever seen this before?

<p>

</p>

Hope these help. I have no clue on value or how to sell it. I was offered 100 for it the day I showed the catalogs to another toy dealer who sells on ebay. I just wasn't sure. I almost sold it to him but figured I should wait and check with you knowledgable people first

Thanks

anttoys

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:14 pm 

The catalog and the handouts all belong together so you should sell them together.  The "press kit" is the only 1984 TSR catalog that I have seen for that year - I don't think there was a seperate strict catalog.  Some years there are both a catalog and press kit but I don't think this was one so if you were going to split it up, you would just be selling two incomplete items.

I bought one early this year or late last year from Xaxaxae's auctions (they might have been "a baby on the way" auctions).  I don't remember the final price of the auction but I think it was either $25 or $40 but included a 3 or 4 other catalogs.  The 1984 catalog is a harder one to find but they do show up so it is by no means unique.  If you were going to put it up in a store, I would probably price it at $25.  If you were going to sell it in an auction, I would probably start it at $10.  Catalogs are really hit and miss, one could not sell for $10 while the same catalog a week later could sell for $30.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:50 pm 

Mars wrote:I bought one early this year or late last year from Xaxaxae's auctions (they might have been "a baby on the way" auctions).  I don't remember the final price of the auction but I think it was either $25 or $40 but included a 3 or 4 other catalogs.

I was just thinking that, too!  :) I think it was one of my "pay for the baby" auctions. And, yes, your memory is accurate: there were a bunch of catalogs in one lot, ranging from "very easy to find" all the way up to "somewhat rare."

I don't remember the final price, either ... for some reason, $38 or $42 sounds about right.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:52 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I don't remember the final price, either ... for some reason, $38 or $42 sounds about right.

I think so too.  There were a few old Judges Guild catalogs and some TSR ones.  I think they passed through Plaag on the way to me and I left some with him.  The 1984 catalog/press kit was the one in the lot that I was really after though.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:57 pm 

Mars wrote:
I think so too.  There were a few old Judges Guild catalogs and some TSR ones.  I think they passed through Plaag on the way to me and I left some with him.  The 1984 catalog/press kit was the one in the lot that I was really after though.

You are correct sir..when I first looked at that kit I was like I remember that thing. :) Got some of the later TSR catalogs from that auction.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:04 pm 

Ah good times guyz :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:20 pm 

Sounds like I shoulda taken the 100 offer then.
If its only worth 40 or less then I will probably split it up as in the flyers there are marvel super heroes, dynasty soap opera, and 1 other tv related one that I think I can get maybe 10 each for.
anttoys.

Thanks for all the help

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:25 pm 

anttoys wrote:If its only worth 40 or less then I will probably split it up as in the flyers there are marvel super heroes, dynasty soap opera, and 1 other tv related one that I think I can get maybe 10 each for.
anttoys.

And hundreds of collectors scream in anguish . . .

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:28 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:And hundreds of collectors scream in anguish . . .

And so will the seller when they realize that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.  But hey what do I know. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:47 pm 

Do you feel it's worth more than 40 bucks? Maybe I will list it as a whole with a reserve and if it doesn't sell then split it up. I'm not even sure all of those flyers originally came with it or if they were sent to the store owner that year at various times. It's just hard to picture everything worth showing on ebay.

Ant-toys

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:08 pm 

anttoys wrote:If its only worth 40 or less ...

Always keep in mind that an item will be "worth" whatever another person is willing to pay for it. This is a variable that can vary greatly depending on a number of factors.

That auction we're all referring to above? If I ran it 10 more times, I'd get 10 different results. At that point, I might have an idea of what the lot was "worth," generally speaking, but the final values might range from (pure speculation here) $25 to $75 or maybe even higher. There's no guarantees when it comes to eBay selling (except that Cougarrinard is a lying thief, but that basically goes without saying).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:10 pm 

anttoys wrote:Do you feel it's worth more than 40 bucks? Maybe I will list it as a whole with a reserve and if it doesn't sell then split it up. I'm not even sure all of those flyers originally came with it or if they were sent to the store owner that year at various times. It's just hard to picture everything worth showing on ebay.
Ant-toys

My point is that with an item like this you will find that if you sell it whole you will end up getting more than if you split it.  Seperate, all it really is a bunch of ads, however together its an entire catalog.  When you factor in all the additional listing fees to list it into seperate auctions, you will end up losing money.  It's just like buying a box set and break it up and selling it in parts. As olong as one person doesn't win every auction you end up with a bunch of people bidding on incomplete items.  I mean with Ebay experince says anything is possible, howver if I was betting I'd say the smart money would be to sell it as a whole.  As far as pictures go, you can actually link pictures to a 3rd party site such as photbucket and have them included within your auction with out the extra charge to use extra charge to use Ebay's picture hosting.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:38 pm 

I'm 100% sure that the flyers came with the catalog.  Each flyer is colour coded to match the section its related to in the catalog.  Its also why they have the inner pocket on this catalog.  This is also why I don't think they had a different catalog for 1984.  As far as value goes, I would probably say that it is worth $25.  If you have an offer of $100 take it - I would sell the one out of my collector for that offer.  If you are looking for rarity, this catalog shows up once maybe twice a year.  I have watched auctions for about 5 of them and the highest I have seen it sell for is $40; most are in the $20 - $25 range , one sold for $5.  TSR catalog collecting isn't that competitive a market.

If you decide to split it up, make sure that you note the catalog originally came with the flyers but they are sold seperately.  As a collector, I would be royally pissed if I spent any kind of money to get the catalog only to find out that its not complete.  BTW, you mentioned that your catalog has 14 flyer sheets.  My copy has 18 so you are short a few already.

If you are looking to maximize your take on this, it might be better to sell the flyers seperately but I really don't know what kind of market there is for such advertising sheets but if you can sell them for $2 a sheet then you are probably getting more than what the package would get.

What sheets do you have?  If you list them, I can tell you which ones I have you don't and vice versa.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:50 pm 

OK flyers I have are as follows:

2 dragonlance ones, 1 marvel superheroes one, 1 quest for the dungeonmaster boardgame one, 1 heartquest books , 1 fantasy forest books, 2 Dungeons dragons modules & Accessories, 1 star frontiers, 1 role playing adventure showing 3 globes in the shape of maybe a 20 sided dice, 1 conan adventure, 1 spi strategy & adventure games , 1 Dynasty RPG from the TV series, 1 Indiana jones, 1 2010 odyssey continues, 1 dungeons and dragons companion. for a total of 16 pages sorry if I said 14 earlier.

I figured it would be better because I have gotten really good money for the tsr rubber monsters and figures from D&D that I had about 40 of all MOC at one time. Some of them hit around 150-200 each. The reason I thought about splitting it up was there are some dynasty and alot of indiana jones collectors out there and super hero collectors and those parts don't really deal with the D&D aspect. But when I list it I will list it as a whole of what I have.

As for fees and such I understand that all too well since my fees run about 500-1,000 a month on ebay.

Thanks

ant-toys

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:26 pm 

I have all of those sheets and the following two:  Endless Quest Books, More Metal Miniatures.

I remember that someone on Ebay was selling old advertising sheets on Ebay and I even bought a couple.  I think they were trying to sell them for $10 each but I made an offer for much less and they jumped on it.  I really don't know the market for selling old advertisements especially ones that are part of other products.  For example:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

This seller has a few of these for sale for $7.  I can't imagine he sells many of them.  I think they were originally on the back of comic books from the time so are easily available for cheap.

Selling them as ads and the catalog by itself might still be the best way to maximize your profit.  Do you think you can sell 5 of them for $6 each?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:35 pm 

I know I could probably get 10 for 2 or 3 of them but the others are up in the air. As I said I will try to sell it as a whole and if it doesn't meet reserve then I will just split it up. Yeah there is a market for old ads for items. there is a seller fmichelle who 99% of what they sell are old toy ads from sears catalogs and other catalogs and they did over 80k last year in sells. I can't tear apart catalogs for just selling ads but to split apart a press kit I don't mind like I will be listing coleco who made cabbage patch kids and dr seuss toys I will be selling press kit pieces of those as dr seuss buyers could care less about cabbage patch kids and as a whole I would get less than I can get for 2 out of 8 items. Ebay is a big toss up. I have had toys that I put out at my local market or a toy show for 5 bucks sell for 200+ and same with listed items have had items not get a 9.99 bid and 2 months from now list the same item and watch it sell for 80-90 bucks. It's all who is looking. I use ebay for a living so I am just trying to make a buck and move on.
Thanks
ant-toys

Next