Early Dungeons, Especially Issue 6
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:22 am 

ScketreWhisp wrote:In any case, yes I now have another Dragon #1, and as time moves on, I'll own more...my goal, who knows, maybe a 100 copies at some point ? why does it matter how many copies I have ?

The ancient sages fortold that a suit of armor made entirely from rolled-up copies of Dragon #1 [plus duct tape] would render the wearer invincible to all harm from magical weapons. Such armor, if it fell into the wrong hands, could bring on the end of the world as we know it. A suit of Dragon #1 armor with a shield would be even worse. The only known measure to prevent this disaster is to remove the magazines' staples, which disrupts the thaumaturgic resonances.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:12 am 

LOL sauromatian :)

Yes, just as bclarkie would have to burn his Dragon #1 rather than sell it to me, I'd have to destroy those I buy that are missing staples (I actually had to toss one that had no cover the other day, too bad you can't buy just the covers somewhere)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:24 pm 

And another one:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

:roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:52 pm 

Yes, and you'll notice I only bid on it one time in the last 4 sec of the auction ... so I didn't bid up the magazine... I paid $5.00 over the current bid... the price was ~$262 when I made my bid.... I am trying to "snipe" at the end so I am not the cause for the higher prices (not by much at least)

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:07 pm 

The last official update for Dragon #1 was Q3 2005.  So the data is certainly much more up-to-date than 1999.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:57 pm 

And another one:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I guess no one else is  allowed to have a Dragon Magazine #1 any more. :roll:  What a f**kin loser.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:21 am 

I won the auction B ... how is that a loser ???

You want one, all you gotta do is win...

Why is it what I buy bothers you so bad ?

And I didn't know there was a limit to what I was allowed to buy ...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:53 am 

Brian, doesn't harami hold the record for white box sets :D ?  I don't recall him getting called out for that.  What's the issue here?  Is there more going on than meets the casual observer's eye?

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:21 am 

ScketreWhisp wrote:I won the auction B ... how is that a loser ???

You want one, all you gotta do is win...

Why is it what I buy bothers you so bad ?

And I didn't know there was a limit to what I was allowed to buy ...

I got a nice one at Gencon 2 years ago :) How many do you have?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:25 am 

Blackmoor wrote:
I got a nice one at Gencon 2 years ago :) How many do you have?

I think he's up to about 6 now.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:19 pm 

Mars wrote:
I think he's up to about 6 now.

No its at least 9 now and I am actually pretty certain that its 10, but I have started to lose count.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:37 pm 

bombadil wrote:Brian, doesn't harami hold the record for white box sets :D ?  I don't recall him getting called out for that.  What's the issue here?  Is there more going on than meets the casual observer's eye?

Do you mean aside other than his stated intentions?   Old Cougar Jr. here stated pretty much in no uncertain terms a month or 2 ago that he wasn't going to let any Dragon magazine #1's go for anything less than a premium price.  He has since edited that statement to help cover up what his true intentions are, but none the less he said it.  On top of that I do remember some grumbling from several people and thier annoyance with David's seeming White Box fetish.  

Beyond that there are still quite a few things different between the 2 cases.  Here is a *starter* list of differences:
  • David was pretty much buying up White boxes to help research printing differences.  
  • David never paid the top end prices that old Coug JR. here is paying to get the items.  David's bids were almost always in the lower range in relationship to the current value of the time, so he was pretty much trying to pick them up as cheap as possible.  
  • David didn't bid on every single white box set that came up.  He did bid on quite a few, but certainly not all of them.  OTOH, with the exception of the Dragon Magazine #1 that I sold a few weeks ago(that I had picked up via Ebay BIN), Coug Jr. here has bid on every single one that has come in at least the last 6 months if not the last nine. Every single one.  The only reason he didn't bid on mine is because he is blocked.
  • David never had a Ebay store with several white boxes in it(or any white boxes for that matter) with prices bordering on ridiculous for them.  Coug Jr. here up until about six weeks ago had 3 Dragon #1's listed for more than $350 each.  Someone must have clued him in since then that any creadibilty on this issue that he might have had left, was being completely undercut by his own store prices.

If you want, I can rehash some other stuff that has happened, but at this point its probably not necessary.

The good news is though that I think that I might have gotten a new sig add on because of this thread.  :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:51 pm 

Has he sold any for $350?  I know you Brain constantly buy stuff cheaper on Ebay and sell for a large mark-up.  Why is it different for ScketreWhisp?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:59 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Has he sold any for $350?  I know you Brain constantly buy stuff cheaper on Ebay and sell for a large mark-up.  Why is it different for ScketreWhisp?

He sold 1 IIRC.  

And I sell for a large markup, since when???

I let(and pretty have always let) the market determine the price. If I can pick something up cheaper than I think it would normally go for, I snag it and pop it back on Ebay(assuming I don't keep it for myself) at a princely staring price of between $0.99 and $24.99(and rarely do I even start something out as high as $24.99). It is a rare occasion where I start out bids at anything higher than $24.99 and I have only used a reserve price a total of 3 or 4 times tops in my entire 9 years on Ebay.  On top of that I also don't intentionally drive the market up on certain items to make sure my *own* investments are safe, particually, since I don't collect as an investment....

Last edited by bclarkie on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:04 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
He sold 1 IIRC.  

And I sell for a large markup, since when? I let(and pretty have always let) the market determine the price. I also don't intentionally drive the market up to make sure my *own* investments are safe, particually since I don't collect as an investment...

I guess large mark-up is subjective really.  If he only sold one he will probably get tired of buying them all for $260+ . After all Dragon #1 is far from rare, there alot of them out there.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:58 pm 

Here's the funny part about it all...

I never sold much on eBay to begin with, bought some items, sold some once in a while and not usually D&D stuff...

6+ months ago I decide to sell a few extra D&D items I have, and I post about it here, and I don't mention the site when I used a description... I get slammed by BClarkie about in a name calling way (I never met the guy and some how I am a few choice names or in some low end category..)

At any rate I have 100% feed back and I think it around 100ish...

So I figure I'll start selling a few things, prove that I can keep a 100% feedback, that I am not a bad guy... but still BClarkie has a problem with me...

Ok, I am up for the tit for tat crap that BClarkie seems to thrive on... and look .. he really hates it when I buy Dragon #1's... so guess for now, I'll buy all I see come up on eBay.

I mean I have a D&D collection, some cool stuff, some not so cool, some rare, some not so rare... so do I need any of this stuff... no .. did I ever have time before to buy/sell and even have a store on eBay... no... do I really have time now for it.. no ... have I made any money doing it... no (I 'd have to sell all the items I have bought to make any money at it)

Then what part of it do I enjoy ???

Oh, there is another Dragon #1 for sale... in X days I get to hear BClarkie bust another blood vessel... that's gotta be worth something...

So BClarkie has become my online entertainment... worth every penny !

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:16 pm 

ScketreWhisp wrote:Here's the funny part about it all...

I never sold much on eBay to begin with, bought some items, sold some once in a while and not usually D&D stuff...

6+ months ago I decide to sell a few extra D&D items I have, and I post about it here, and I don't mention the site when I used a description... I get slammed by BClarkie about in a name calling way (I never met the guy and some how I am a few choice names or in some low end category..)

At any rate I have 100% feed back and I think it around 100ish...

So I figure I'll start selling a few things, prove that I can keep a 100% feedback, that I am not a bad guy... but still BClarkie has a problem with me...

Ok, I am up for the tit for tat crap that BClarkie seems to thrive on... and look .. he really hates it when I buy Dragon #1's... so guess for now, I'll buy all I see come up on eBay.

I mean I have a D&D collection, some cool stuff, some not so cool, some rare, some not so rare... so do I need any of this stuff... no .. did I ever have time before to buy/sell and even have a store on eBay... no... do I really have time now for it.. no ... have I made any money doing it... no (I 'd have to sell all the items I have bought to make any money at it)

Then what part of it do I enjoy ???

Oh, there is another Dragon #1 for sale... in X days I get to hear BClarkie bust another blood vessel... that's gotta be worth something...

So BClarkie has become my online entertainment... worth every penny !

You are wrong on so many levels(for a change  :roll: ) its laughable.  First off and formost I wasn't the one who posted your auctions in the "Shady Dealers Thread' it was someone else. I agreed with what they had to say(and actually others did as well), but I was not the person who posted it.  I notice how you forget to mention the little tantrum you threw too under your other ID:

viewtopic.php?t=1688&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1960

Secondly and more importantly, do really think that you bother me that much?  Please don't give yourself that much credit.  I actually get lots of enjoyment exposing you for the fraud that you are and then watching you squirm as you the try to explain it away as something other than what it really is.  :lol:  I also think its kind of funny that you are trying to punish me when as stated before I already own a Dragon Magazine #1 and don't need any more than that.  :D

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:21 pm 

I dont presume to think I understand why Doug wants to own every single Dragon #1 in existence.  But I honestly don't think it has anything to do with him "protecting his investment", "cornering the market", or anything similar.  I've met Doug, and although I dont know him very well, I think he is a pretty decent guy and I am usually pretty spot on with first impressions.  Badmike has vouched for him and has spent a lot more time with him than I have so he would know better than I would.  Course he could be a cannibalistic serial-killer and Mike is his next meal for all the good my intuition does me.

I respect what you say and think Brian.  You have spent a lot of time defending this hobby and this forum from people that try to exploit it and its members.  For the most part, it is a pretty thankless and time-consuming job...one that most people have no desire to take part in.  When you are right everyone praises you, but on the flip side, if you are wrong about someone, those people who were praising you before are now keeping their distance.  Nice double-edged sword there eh?

That said, I wish you guys would just drop the whole thing.  For one....it makes you both look like you are involved in nothing more than a pissing contest.  I am not going to try and defend what Doug does because I dont know his mind.  But with all the venom pointed in his direction, it wouldnt surprise me if he was just buying up Dragon #1's just to get you riled up.  If that is indeed the case, and I hope it isn't, it is definitely working.

I give Badmike a hard time about some of his prices on a monthly basis.  I have also made several comments about how looney I think of some of Doug's prices are.  But in the end, it is none of my business how anyone decides to price their items...so I just have to let it go.  Maybe you should just do the same.  At least stop calling him Coug Jr.  I dont think Doug deserves to be lumped in with Dave Whitfield.  Douchebag Dave is in a class all by himself.

Or you could tell me to blow it out my ass because I dont know what I am talking about.....either or is fine with me.  :wink:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

PreviousNext