Early Dungeons, Especially Issue 6
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 612, 3, 456
Author


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:12 am 
 

Anyone else notice how miraculously that Dragon Magazine #1 suddenly dropped back down in price to what it was before about 6 or 7 months ago:




** expired eBay auction **




Hmmm, I wonder why that is? :scratch:  Oh wait, nevermind, I know why....


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 683
Joined: Jun 25, 2007
Last Visit: Jun 03, 2020
Location: Bedford, TX

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:12 pm 
 

Yes I wonder why... hmm VG = $200.00 sounds a bit low.. Acaeum pricing shows a VG to be $180 (7 years ago !) ... with today's increases I'd say around $235-239 so you were  bit low...

I was selling NM for $389.00 which is right on mark for a NM in todays prices

Not sure of your point ;)

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:22 pm 
 

ScketreWhisp wrote:Yes I wonder why... hmm VG = $200.00 sounds a bit low.. Acaeum pricing shows a VG to be $180 (7 years ago !) ... with today's increases I'd say around $235-239 so you were  bit low...

I was selling NM for $389.00 which is right on mark for a NM in todays prices

Not sure of your point ;)


Except the prices on the site are not 7 years old, they were updated within the last year.

Aside from fact that I don't use the Acaeum scale for grading, I use my own set to grade.  On my scale of VG would equate to Fine and the magazine I listed would have been F+/VF- on the Acaeum scale. None of this really has anything to do with it all though, there really was only one common denominator missing from my auction and I guarantee that if it wasn't eliminated from it, it went for more than $239.

I also like how you somehow try to shoe horn in the "I was selling NM for $389.00 which is right on mark for a NM in todays prices".  :roll:  Lets start tracking the Dragon magazine #1 you don't bid on and we will see how long that $389 assertion holds.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:43 pm 
 

ScketreWhisp wrote:I think most will have to pay a premium for them as I'll bid close to what they should sell for not what someone thinks they are worth.



BTW, this may be the both most funny and contradictory statement I have ever read in a long long time.  I like how you leave yourself out of the "someone thinks" part of your very own statement. :roll:  It seems the only one who won't let the market "really" decide what they are worth is you.  I have an idea, lets see who is right. You cease from bidding on all Dragon #1's from now on for the next year and we'll all just see who is right about what the value of them "should be" (using your very own words).


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 683
Joined: Jun 25, 2007
Last Visit: Jun 03, 2020
Location: Bedford, TX

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:07 pm 
 

Here is the page I was referring to:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/rares.html

Updated Dec 1999

Make that almost 8 years ago ... I was wrong again... but I can admit it

Like it or not, Dragons are worth more, you don't have to believe it...

Doesn't matter if I want to pay more or someone else does...

I have paid more for some, and those that have bought some from me paid more... those are facts... people are paying more for Dragons ....

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:14 pm 
 

ScketreWhisp wrote:Here is the page I was referring to:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/rares.html

Updated Dec 1999

Make that almost 8 years ago ... I was wrong again... but I can admit it


Since its obvious again you really don't know what you are talking about, let me clarify what "Updated 1999" means.  "Updated 1999" was the last time Scott made a modifiocation to the information detailing the item, whether thats prining information, scans or what not.  That however does not include the values on the site. We have been tracking values on an off for at least the last 3 years and despite your refusal to acknowledge it, Dragon #1 is inluded in  those values as well.

ScketreWhisp wrote:Like it or not, Dragons are worth more, you don't have to believe it...

Doesn't matter if I want to pay more or someone else does...

I have paid more for some, and those that have bought some from me paid more... those are facts... people are paying more for Dragons ....


Funny how the auction for Dragon #1 that I listed didn't flow along with your claims.  The only facts that anyone needs to accept is that you have made a hostile and agressive move on the market for early Dragons and everyone else is and will be worse off for it.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 683
Joined: Jun 25, 2007
Last Visit: Jun 03, 2020
Location: Bedford, TX

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:37 pm 
 

Ok, if those prices are updated prices... then a NM runs about $300.00 according to that price... and that price was posted BEFORE the Dragon Magazine line was discontinued...

$389.00 is a 23% markup ($300/.77) ... that's not a huge markup for a magazine that has been out of print for over 3 decades and is now perceived as more valuable since the entire publication is forever gone.

I didn't know buying magazines could be "hostile" ???

I will bid on and/or buy every Dragon #1 I see anywhere I find it. I will pay up to whatever price I feel they are worth ... you don't see me selling any online at the moment, so what does it matter what I pay for them...

 WWW  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2070
Joined: Jul 25, 2007
Last Visit: Apr 20, 2021
Location: Far Harad, Texas

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:43 pm 
 

ScketreWhisp wrote:$389.00 is a 23% markup ($300/.77)


Actually 29 2/3%; A 23% markup would equal 369.
$300/.77 does in fact equal 389.6103896, but what's proportional for one number is not proportional for another.

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 683
Joined: Jun 25, 2007
Last Visit: Jun 03, 2020
Location: Bedford, TX

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:05 pm 
 

In the Retail and Financial world you discuss markups in Gross Profit...

$389.00 is a 23% gross profit over a $300.00 cost

When purchasing items, if you are told to sell the item at a 20% Gross profit, you divide by .80 you do not multiply by 1.20

Since I work in that world, when I "markup" an item, I do it this way

300 / .77 (a 23% gross margin or markup) = $389.61 ... I dropped it down to $389.00 even

In any event, it's not a huge markup based on the perceived rarity since they stopped publishing the magazine

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:41 pm 
 

ScketreWhisp wrote:
I will bid on and/or buy every Dragon #1 I see anywhere I find it. I will pay up to whatever price I feel they are worth ... you don't see me selling any online at the moment, so what does it matter what I pay for them...


Umm, no you won't.  See the above auction I posted as proof.

And again, how exactly are you different then Dave Whitfield? Oh thats right you're not really any different at all. I mean, you spell a little bit better, but thats really it.

ScketreWhisp wrote:Ok, if those prices are updated prices... then a NM runs about $300.00 according to that price... and that price was posted BEFORE the Dragon Magazine line was discontinued...



Umm, just a quick FYI, maybe you didn't get this note yet, but Dragon Magazine #1 has been OOP print for well over 30 years now.  I am not really sure how the line being discontinued in print has even one iota to do with the rarity or percieved value of #1.   Please teach me, oh wise one.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche


Last edited by bclarkie on Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2737
Joined: May 31, 2007
Last Visit: Mar 22, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:05 pm 
 

I'll take one off your hands, if you want. ;)


Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6070
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 29, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:13 pm 
 

serleran wrote:I'll take one off your hands, if you want. ;)


If you are willing to pay his price, I would sell you my personal copy shipping included and I can guarantee its in better shape.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:36 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:
Umm, just a quick FYI, maybe you didn't get this note yet, but Dragon Magazine #1 has been OOP print for well over 30 years now.  I am not really sure how the line being discontinued in print has even one iota to do with the rarity or percieved value of #1.   Please teach me, oh wise one.


Well, perception is quite a bit....

When Dragon and Dungeon magazine announced their cancellations, I have many Dragon mag sales, including two large sales of over $200 each consisting of random Dragons in the #50-#300 range.  Whether true or not, collectors sometimes are spurred to action by cancellations of certain series or lines of games in the thought that they will become harder to find in the future. Considering my Dragon mag sales were downright sickly until the announcement, I consider this more than coincidence.  Personally I think it just got people thinking "wow, I can actually finish the run now", and they looked to fill in any holes they had in the collection.  

Ergo, #1 has become harder to find in the short term because not only are the regular collectors looking for it, but the casual collector is also focused on it right now.  Demand should die down once the attention wanes off the cancellation announcements...

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2737
Joined: May 31, 2007
Last Visit: Mar 22, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:42 pm 
 

If you are willing to pay


Please note the word take in my statement. ;) I would not pay 10% a woodgrain for a magazine, ever. I might pay 5%, though.


Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 683
Joined: Jun 25, 2007
Last Visit: Jun 03, 2020
Location: Bedford, TX

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:46 am 
 

B

I might spell better, but it hasn't improved your reading ability:

"a magazine that has been out of print for over 3 decades and is now perceived as more valuable since the entire publication is forever gone."

That's what I posted, so obviously I am aware the magazine has been out of print for over the 30 years... maybe you don't know the definition of decade ... decade = 10 years .. hope that clears that up for you...

I would have paid up to $200.00 for your copy, but once it reached that level, I was no longer interested in it... no I can't bid on your items under one of my 3 accounts (though I thought we were past that), but should you really have something interesting, and I really want it, it will arrive safely

The last Dragon #1 that ended today was set to end around 1415 or so CST... such a bad time for an auction to end... that's 1615 west coast and no one is home yet and not far past lunch heading east. Made the final price I paid a tad over $200.00 and I bid $319.00 for it... goes to show an ending bid time can also drop the final sales price of an item.... oh that's right... it wasn't the lame time the auction ended, it's because nice copies of Dragons aren't worth more than $200.00 because bclarkie said so... thanx for being correct, I saved over $100.00

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:20 am 
 

ScketreWhisp wrote:
"a magazine that has been out of print for over 3 decades and is now perceived as more valuable since the entire publication is forever gone."


You worte this???  :lol: When??? Where???

See, even though you want to, you can't rewrite history. Here is what you really wrote:

ScketreWhisp wrote:In any event, it's not a huge markup based on the perceived rarity since they stopped publishing the magazine


And again, where exactly is your evidence to back up your BS? You don't have any.  Its 100% hot air.  I just love this stuff, "I don't need any evidence, it's just that way because Coug Jr. says it is!"  :roll:

Moving on:

ScketreWhisp wrote:That's what I posted, so obviously I am aware the magazine has been out of print for over the 30 years... maybe you don't know the definition of decade ... decade = 10 years .. hope that clears that up for you...


And again how about some empiricle evidence to back up your claims.  Or should everyone just take your word on this too?  Since all you have is your words so far and nothing really else, how about a little back up.  I am again waiting with baited breath. :roll:

ScketreWhisp wrote:I would have paid up to $200.00 for your copy, but once it reached that level, I was no longer interested in it... no I can't bid on your items under one of my 3 accounts (though I thought we were past that), but should you really have something interesting, and I really want it, it will arrive safely


Just when I though I could not read anything more ridiculous and funny than the contradiction I posted earlier, you go ahead and post this.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   Go ahead there tough guy, you want to bid on something of mine? Go ahead, I am begging you to. Please, Please, Please, bid on something, win it and prove me wrong.  I particularly love the "and I really want it, it will arrive safely" line.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Let me go ahead and warn you though there Conan before you go ahead and do it though. It would be a extremely large miscalculation on your part to do so. And No, I am not FUCKING around, not even the slightest bit. You can't buy me and nor will you buy anything from me.  PERIOD. I'd rather burn my shit rather than sell it to you.  Still don't believe me?  Go ahead and give it a shot then.

ScketreWhisp wrote:The last Dragon #1 that ended today was set to end around 1415 or so CST... such a bad time for an auction to end... that's 1615 west coast and no one is home yet and not far past lunch heading east. Made the final price I paid a tad over $200.00 and I bid $319.00 for it... goes to show an ending bid time can also drop the final sales price of an item.... oh that's right... it wasn't the lame time the auction ended, it's because nice copies of Dragons aren't worth more than $200.00 because bclarkie said so... thanx for being correct, I saved over $100.00




Oh a 6th one, how nice.  For those of you watching, Mr Whitfield here has put it upon himself to go ahead and buy another one:




** expired eBay auction **




:roll:



I do like how you roll in another excuse as to why another one did live up to you BS and unsubstantiated claims. I mean who needs any evidence to back up their BS claims right?  Just keep saying it and sooner or later it will be true.  I got news for you Davey boy, even if you say it 1000 times and jump up and down and hold your breath, its not necessarily going to come true.   Keep trying though.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche


Last edited by bclarkie on Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:24 am 
 

On second thought there Davey boy, if your next response does not include some sort of evidence other than just your BS claims and more hot air, please save yourself the reply as I am not going to bother anymore.  Its so patently obvious to everyone on here by now what a schumck you really are, that I am not going to really waste my time with it anymore unless you start backing up your "supposed facts" with something other than, "Because I said so!"


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2070
Joined: Jul 25, 2007
Last Visit: Apr 20, 2021
Location: Far Harad, Texas

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:34 am 
 

Paragraph three [post is not marked as having been edited]:

ScketreWhisp wrote:Ok, if those prices are updated prices... then a NM runs about $300.00 according to that price... and that price was posted BEFORE the Dragon Magazine line was discontinued...

$389.00 is a 23% markup ($300/.77) ... that's not a huge markup for a magazine that has been out of print for over 3 decades and is now perceived as more valuable since the entire publication is forever gone.

I didn't know buying magazines could be "hostile" ???

I will bid on and/or buy every Dragon #1 I see anywhere I find it. I will pay up to whatever price I feel they are worth ... you don't see me selling any online at the moment, so what does it matter what I pay for them...

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:36 am 
 

sauromatian wrote:Paragraph three:



Ahh, I stand corrected.  I missed a detail. It really matters nothing to the overall converstaion.  Mr Whitfiled here still can't back up anything with anything other than his own unsubstantiated claims....


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 683
Joined: Jun 25, 2007
Last Visit: Jun 03, 2020
Location: Bedford, TX

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:08 am 
 

B

You get so torqued out of shape and that is not my intent, I was just being sarcastic since you were throwing things my direction, no harm.

I am glad at least sauromatian found the post I was referencing.

I am not claiming Dragons are worth more because "I said so", I have seen people pay more for them... so what else would I think, I have paid more for them as well, and I have no problem with that.

In any case, yes I now have another Dragon #1, and as time moves on, I'll own more... my goal, who knows, maybe a 100 copies at some point ? why does it matter how many copies I have ?

 WWW  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 612, 3, 456