Early Dungeons, Especially Issue 6
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:15 am 

bclarkie wrote:
You're right of course. It's funny though that the common denominator here seems to be you keep "vouching" for people who aren't turning out to be so great....

I think a lot of people in the forum know what the "common denominator" is...and it isn't me vouching for them.  Cmon, man, you need to step back a bit sometimes, it's not just me that gets tired of the ridiculous pissing contests.  It just seems there is one person that is ALWAYS at the epicenter of these things. And when someone is always shouting, you start to tune them out....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:20 am 

Badmike wrote:

Brian, I really forsee a very upsetting next few years for you as prices continue to rise on collectibles in the RPG market, as the genie isn't going back in the bottle here. You can continue to complain about rising prices and forlornly wish for the "good old days" or realize the hobby has reached a maturity that occured with such collectibles as baseball cards, comics and pulp magazines.  I dabbled in the last two both before, during and after the collectible aspect reached what is going on in RPGS right now.  Like you, on the forums I lurked and posted on and in the collecting circles I ran in there were several who fought tooth and nail to keep their hobby "pristine".  It didn't make sense then, and it doesn't make sense now.  

Except I don't care if the prices continue to rise.  :?  As a matter of fact with all the crap I am currently sitting on, I would benefit from it.  The only thing that I care about is the outright in your face price manipualtion by certain "people"(not anyone in particular either).  Its the market manipulators who ruin it for everyone else.   As far as the rest of it goes, I really could care less.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:38 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Except I don't care if the prices continue to rise.  :?  As a matter of fact with all the crap I am currently sitting on, I would benefit from it.  The only thing that I care about is the outright in your face price manipualtion by certain "people"(not anyone in particular either).  Its the market manipulators who ruin it for everyone else.   As far as the rest of it goes, I really could care less.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that most of this stuff is far too common to price manipulate....Doug can buy every Dragon #1 that comes up in the next year and they'll STILL be Dragon #1s going up.  And he'll be selling them at a loss if he's not right...so why sweat it.  We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this...so I won't push it anymore, I think my point has been made

Actually Im surprised someone like Troll & Toad or NobleKnight, some dealer sitting on a lot of cash and/or product, hasn't just shut down the market on certain collectibles (i.e., woodgrain box, ST1, Wee Warriors items) and done exactly what you say....buy from me or you're not going to get one. They could if they wanted to...hopefully it won't cross their minds.

My reaction to this is because this seems far more like an excuse for a pissing contest between you and Doug than it does a discussion on free markets or price manipulation...

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:41 am 

bclarkie wrote:

And I just thought "Boy, how BEAT UP am I going to get here later on this year when I put up my Dragon collection on ebay..."

Seriously, I need a new car. I promise. My truck sucks. Ask King....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:43 am 

Well, I think its not possible, in today's global marketplace, to shut down any particular item, unless you happen to already own a very significant portion of the market. Even something very rare, like a Palace of the Vampire Queen. In fact, this would hurt whomever was trying, I think, since it would force the black market" to rise up... there would be a ton more forgeries, more pdfs, more anti-collectible treasures for those who simply wanted to see, and pretend. Only the real hardcore collectors would want in, and I think narrowing the market to such a small niche would be bad, overall.... but, I'm all for lower prices all-around so more people can enjoy these treasures, rathe rthan the "elite" with the bucks. :) Then again, that's likely because I'm poor and don't have any of these uber-expensive things (though I did get a very tempting offer for my one Wee Warrior item.)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:56 am 

Badmike wrote:

And I just thought "Boy, how BEAT UP am I going to get here later on this year when I put up my Dragon collection on ebay..."

Seriously, I need a new car. I promise. My truck sucks. Ask King....

Mike B.

Mike I didn't and wasn't looking to fight with either you or KOP, I truely wasn't.  Nor am I looking to get  into a pissing contest with anyone, however if I see something that I percieve as being "not right" I am going to speak up about it, its just my nature. :) Hell, I am Irishman fer chrisakes, all that we really ever do anyway is drink and fight.  :wink: :lol:.  I did take the heat this morning when I saw the rolly eyes icon in your post and I didn't respond well, thats on me.

Seriously, my intention are pure.  Everyone may not agree with them or my opinions for that matter, but it is pure none the less. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Previous