Early Dungeons, Especially Issue 6
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:59 am 

Seller thrillqill has issues of Dungeon up for auction.  The early issues are in single-issue lots.  For some reason, issue 6 is far outdistancing the other issues.

At the moment, issue 6 is out front with a bid of $9.38.  Issue 1 is at $2.25 , and issue 2 is at $1.49.  I just bid up a multiple-issue lot to $1.25. Everything else, including multiple-issue lots, is at 0.01 or no bids.

I am watching number 6 because I think that is the FormCritic issue (I can't find the Acaeum post that mentions it).  Is anything else noteworthy about number 6?  Do bidders kain_kain_kain and books_blades_and_beyond know something about that I don't?

. . . eBay listings

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:37 pm 

$10 for any of the first 6 issues is a good price.  I would guess they will end at $20+ each.  Doesn't #6 have Mark's adventure in it or is that #5?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:26 pm 

There's nothing really 'special' about it.  It's just the rarest.  It and 1 will end up the highest, I'd imagine.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:04 pm 

mordrin wrote:It's just the rarest.

I don't think #6 is quite the rarest of first dungeons.  Probably #3 and 4 are rarer.  By issue #7, issues 3 and 4 were no longer available for back orders.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:47 pm 

Mars wrote:
I don't think #6 is quite the rarest of first dungeons.  Probably #3 and 4 are rarer.  By issue #7, issues 3 and 4 were no longer available for back orders.

#3 and #4 are much rarer. Mars is right, I started collecting Dungeon magazine at issue 7, and those two were already unavailable for back issue order at that time (only a few months later!). It took several years to finally aquire them.  #2 is probably right behind, followed by #5.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:15 pm 

- For some reason, issue 6 is far outdistancing the other issues.[/quote]
outdistance not important final price is. advertise here to increase
$30 - $35 good for #1 thru #5 now some much higher $50+++. $20 should have no chance

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:28 am 

Regardless of which issue is rarest, #6 is the hardest to get, hands down. I have no idea why, but it rarely turns up and people get as excited as blind dykes in a tuna factory bidding on them.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:35 am 

Deadlord39 wrote: and people get as excited as blind dykes in a tuna factory bidding on them.

I'm not sure if that's an image I want to have or not......  :lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:32 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Regardless of which issue is rarest, #6 is the hardest to get, hands down.

Right now it doesn't seem like either are difficult to find - there are at least 3 copies of each on Ebay.  Personally, I still need a copy of #4.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:46 am 

ashmire13 wrote:
I'm not sure if that's an image I want to have or not......  :lol:

Agreed.  Would much rather see tuna producing themselves in the wild...

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:39 pm 

And Douglaswrhea actually had the nuts to say he isn't trying to corner the market on stuff.  I guess he isn't happy with the 2 Dungeon #1's that are sitting his store at ridiculous prices isn't enough for him.  Anyone who actually believes that he is anything other than a Creep1962/Cougarrinard wannabe now, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you...

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:35 pm 

Nothing wrong with that. No different than people buying items they don't need and reselling them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:36 pm 

In fact, it's EXACTLY like that.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:46 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Nothing wrong with that. No different than people buying items they don't need and reselling them.

Sorry, but like everything else there is an right way and a wrong way.  Continuously bidding and jacking up the prices on the same items over and over to "protect your own invesntment", all while you have same items in your Ebay store set at ridiculously high prices is quite different than picking something up cheap and selling it for a small profit. VERY DIFFERENT.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:20 am 

There are plenty of people (even here!) who put low bids on items and hope to win them. I can't count the number of times I've seen people bid $50 on a brownie, or $25 on a tourney. Seems to me to be exactly what Dougie is doing.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:07 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:There are plenty of people (even here!) who put low bids on items and hope to win them. I can't count the number of times I've seen people bid $50 on a brownie, or $25 on a tourney. Seems to me to be exactly what Dougie is doing.

You are right, and I have no problems with that.  Its when I see this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUNGEON-Adventures- ... dZViewItem

The $63 bid, which about 2 times what these things used to go for until Mr Rhea has seen fit to bid every single Dungeon #1 (and every other early Dragon and Dungeon Magazine for that matter) up as high as possible since then.  Thats not trying to pick stuff up cheap for resale, that distorting the market for your own purposes.  Thats what I have the major problem with, the intetional market distortion.  Thats exactly what Cougar has done with H1 over the years.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:29 am 

bclarkie wrote:

You are right, and I have no problems with that.  Its when I see this:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The $63 bid, which about 2 times what these things used to go for until Mr Rhea has seen fit to bid every single Dungeon #1 (and every other early Dragon and Dungeon Magazine for that matter) up as high as possible since then.  Thats not trying to pick stuff up cheap for resale, that distorting the market for your own purposes.  Thats what I have the major problem with, the intetional market distortion.  Thats exactly what Cougar has done with H1 over the years.

You can't corner the market on a Dungeon #1....unlike H1, it's far too common.  And Cougar failed miserably in his attempt, having to sell several of them below what he paid.  Besides, someone else wanted the mag more and outbid him....which will happen every once in awhile.  It has to be brought up again that PAIZO WAS SELLING THESE UP UNTIL LAST MONTH!!!! The print run for Dungeon #1 has to be more than any other isse in the entire series.   The bottom line is that Doug can bid $60 for every Dungeon mag that comes up in the next year, and he'll end up with 25 Dungeon #1's in his store and more still up on ebay at cheaper prices.  It's a non issue IMO. The market is going to level this price out no matter what price one person may want to pay.

Besides, The market for Dungeon and Dragon mags is about to take a serious shift upwards now that the mags have been cancelled.  I myself have seen regular issues selling like crazy in my ebay store the last few months.  Everyone trying to complete their collections has suddenly been moved into action. I don't know if it's going to be a short or long term trend, but in the short run look for prices to rise.  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:41 pm 

You know, I never read but a couple of threads until someone points out I am being bashed somewhere...

I appreciate the "defense" by those that posted in response :)

BClarkie... unlike you, I don't try to find the best deal or buy something at the cheapest price (ie: the $7.00 Chainmail you got)... when I find someone selling something way too low (ie: possibly by mistake on their part) I tell them... have even made a BIN to save the item, then paid them more or advised it should be put up for more since I don't need it.

I'd prefer to see items go for what the market shows they will go for... yes I bid $63.00 on a Dungeon 1 ... but someone wanted it more than me and paid more... as they should have... Currently they are worth more... not $150+ in my book, but hey.. I won't argue if they go that high...

As to Dragon Mags... yes on any Dragon 1-5 you will probably see me bid a very premium price, why, because I KNOW I can sell every single one I buy for higher than the price I am willing to pay... so don't expect to see Dragon 1-5 drop any time soon. I just sold #5 in VF-NM for $139.00 and a Dragon #1 for $339.00 a few days before that... so I'll pay $330.00 for the same condition copy and resell it for a $9.00 profit... works for me... and in that case I would be "selling it for a small profit" which, in your book, is okay (and make a $34.00 donation to the Aceaum in the end and some how I don't think I  would have made a dime) :)

Which brings up a small point, I don't see Creep1962/Cougarrinard making donations to the site in an form, so I am very unlike them.

If you are aggravated that a Dungeon 1 is selling too high, I'll sell you one of mine for a more reasonable price if you need it, your are an Acaeum member and I sell stuff to members at a lower rate, just ask.

Next