Dungeon board game by David R Megary TSR Games 1975 ?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:12 am 

Not RPG

Dungeon Is a board game but issued by TSR games 1975 printed by Batch press.

Condition is Fair, any opinions on value out there?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:07 pm 

Not sure of value, but you can tell the earlier 70s editions apart by the orientation of the cover illustration. The earlier ones are landscape oriented, so that the longer sides are horizontal, depicting three skeletons. Later printings are portrait oriented, so that the longer sides are vertical, & show one skeleton.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:56 pm 

Ok Thanks at least I know it's early as it's landscape print with three skeletons.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:11 pm 

There are lots of different prints of these - something like 10 of Dungeon and then the rebranded Classic Dungeon and New Dungeon, etc.  There are variations on the colour of the skeletons (white or purple) and if there is writing on the back of the box.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:05 pm 

When I was a little girl, by brother was friends with David Megary.  When David was developing the original game he would come over and we would play it together.  I loved it and he gave me the original handmade game with board and pieces as a present.  When the game came out in 1975 he also gave me a version of that.  Does anyone have any idea what the value of this is?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:33 pm 

If you have any documention (handwritten stuff) by David Megary then it would probably increase the value.  Certainly a prototype version would do well too.  As a guess, a first print TSR dungeon might be around $50-$60?

There are so many prints of this set that the game itself isn't too hard to find but 1st prints (or early prints) usually do better.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:32 pm 

lapsminn wrote:When I was a little girl, by brother was friends with David Megary.  When David was developing the original game he would come over and we would play it together.  I loved it and he gave me the original handmade game with board and pieces as a present.  When the game came out in 1975 he also gave me a version of that.  Does anyone have any idea what the value of this is?

Would love to see a photo of the handmade original if possible.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:45 am 

lapsminn wrote:When I was a little girl, by brother was friends with David Megary.  When David was developing the original game he would come over and we would play it together.  I loved it and he gave me the original handmade game with board and pieces as a present.  When the game came out in 1975 he also gave me a version of that.  Does anyone have any idea what the value of this is?

1st print value, as above.
Original prototype with backstory & provenance; that's another ballgame altogether. Would be useful to see pics, etc., but given the history/context for that, a finger-in-the-air, sight-unseen guess might be $500-1,000, possibly more - not that I'd be in favor of selling just for $$ of course, albeit your call.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:55 am 

I am not sure I would want to sell it at this time.  I am wondering how to protect it and what I should insure it for.  I am also wondering if David is still out there somewhere.

Here are some pictures of the 1975 version and the original:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonnysburgy/?donelayout=1

Let me know if this works.  I am a techgeekidiot.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:01 am 

Nice piece of history there.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:35 pm 

Is there one R in his name or two R's? The originals have it written as two R's, yet the printed version (instructions and box) show one R

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:42 pm 

The 1973 handmade original is two r's and the 1975 board printed version is one r.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:28 pm 

Very nice!

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:21 pm 

Wow, thank you lapsminn for poting those images... I think that's an excellent piece of gaming history!  My daughters and I have played many games of Dungeon! and I was glad to show them - they recognized the pieces and board right away :)

I don't have the depth of knowledge that many here do, but I'd have to think the prototype would fetch over $1000, should you choose to let it go.

This is off-topic, but is there a thread around here (or another resource) that has values of one-off items (like this, manuscripts, the real one-of-a-kind stuff)?

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:23 pm 

Agreed re. high end having seen those pics; for which, many thanks. Certainly a few bank vaults that run that high.
The playing pieces are more sophisticated than Gary's prototype for Lankhmar (~ same date) and aside from those two (now) I can't think of many others similar to have survived from that period, so kudos for looking after that well. Sounds like you had great fun - and love that group photo, too! :)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:25 pm 

If I were you, in no way would I ever part with such a piece of history.  Hell, I'm sitting here in awe just being able to see it and realizing that it still exists. Thank you for that opportunity.  Wow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Friends help you move. True friends help you move bodies...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:34 pm 

What a treasure! Thanks so much for posting those photos. It's great to see the original title: "The Dungeons of Pasha Cada". Do you remember any story behind that title?

How many pages are in the instructions, 14? I think I see the number 12 poking up behind the back cover.

According to Greg Svenson here, Dave Megarry still lives in the Twin Cities (info posted Feb of this year).

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:35 am 

His daughter Martha can be contacted at:

last_night_at_fencing (at) yahoo.com .

Next