1977 D&D Character Record Sheets
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:38 pm 

I have found a small stash of loose 1977 character record sheets but haven't bought them yet.  They're in an old book store nearby...

I've cut the text about these pages into this message from the Acaeum web page so you know what I'm talking about.  I'm 100% sure the sheets are from one of these two sets.

They're loose and the set is incomplete.  Because of this I have no way of knowing which of the two sets this came from.  However, I may be able to find the cover sheet if I'm really lucky!  There are about 15 sheets in all, five of them have been used.  The rest are blank and perfect with some of the red wax still stuck on the left edge.  There are NO HOLES along the left hand side.

Any idea what they're worth?

* First:  TSR stock # F-1009.  Only one copy of this print has been spotted, and it features a side-tearing pad with 27 sheets.  Grey cover with orange internal sheets, and three-hole-punching along the left-hand side.  Thanks to Mike Rowlatt for this info, and the scan.

* Second:  TSR stock # 9014.  Only two copies of this print have been spotted.  Side-tearing pad of 27 sheets.  One copy has a pale orange cover, the other has a light blue cover.  Both have orange internal sheets, and three-hole-punching along the left-hand side.  Thanks to Adrian Newman and Hussain Zaman for this info.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:18 pm 

I went to my copy, only to find it's not completely described by any in the Acaeum list. Here it is more-or-less in full at http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/miscpag ... acter.html

1977:  Character Record Sheets.  Tom Wham artwork on cover.  Lizard logo, and states "TM Reg App. For".

First:  TSR stock # F-1009.  Only one copy of this print has been spotted, and it features a side-tearing pad with 27 sheets.  Grey cover with orange internal sheets, and three-hole-punching along the left-hand side.  Thanks to Mike Rowlatt for this info, and the scan.

Second:  TSR stock # 9014.  Only two copies of this print have been spotted.  Side-tearing pad of 27 sheets.  One copy has a pale orange cover, the other has a light blue cover.  Both have orange internal sheets, and three-hole-punching along the left-hand side.  Thanks to Adrian Newman and Hussain Zaman for this info.

Third:  TSR stock # 9014.  Top-tearing pad with 25+ sheets (actual number appears to be somewhat random).  Versions with blue or green covers and sheets have been reported (other than colors, they appear identical).  Thanks to John Justice for help with this info...

1979:  Character Record Sheets.  Tom Wham artwork on cover.  Wizard logo.  Copyright still reads "1977", but "TM Reg App For" has been removed.  Versions with blue, yellow, or green covers and pink, orange, or green sheets have been reported (other than colors, they appear identical).

Mine have the wizard logo, [R] sign on the cover [which is blue] but 'TM Reg App for' on the hole-punched, side-tearing [from red wax] sheets [which are also blue].

Note that the last couple of versions aren't described as hole punched, nor is the last version noted as side-tearing, yet mine [probably 1979] is both.

In other words, neither my copy nor the copy you saw are accurately listed by the Acaeum page, so identifying it with this information may be impossible.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:29 pm 

probable still others to find. other early sheets not on list
if cheap and genuine printed best to snag but better still if cover sheet too

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:48 pm 

Thank you for the replies!  I didn't notice that the 1979 printing Copyright still reads "1977" until I went back and re-read it thanks  to your posts.

I'll go back and check to see if the App For is there or not.  I'll probably pick them up, $10.00, and certainly will if I can find the cover sheet.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:55 pm 

probably worth a punt. still unsure how know 1977 not 1979 if no cover sheet and did not have sample sheet to compare but even 1979 expensive now. no hole punch not familiar for either
avatar best limit to 120*120 perhaps. neat though ;) ;)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:04 pm 

I'll go buy them tomorrow at lunch and post a picture about this time tomorrow.  I'm new here so how and where should I make such a post?

I was saying 1977 because of the red wax on left side and 1977 on bottom.  I don't recall if it said anything else though.  There's a small box of scraps, incomplete items like module covers with no booklets and other stuff like that, sitting next to where I found the character sheets.  However, since I was on lunch break I didn't have time to do any digging.

Hopefully they're still where I left them!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:12 pm 

- I'll go buy them tomorrow at lunch and post a picture about this time tomorrow.  I'm new here so how and where should I make such a post?
post on this thread is fine am sure. if no other hosting use www.tinypic.com + send link or display inline using [img]link[/img]
- I was saying 1977 because of the red wax on left side and 1977 on bottom.
ah. they do
- There's a small box of scraps, incomplete items like module covers with no booklets and other stuff like that, sitting next to where I found the character sheets.  However, since I was on lunch break I didn't have time to do any digging.
scraps = ask to see if throw in for free??

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:17 pm 

if 120 wide is still maximum for icon on board have added frazetta here if you want
./proximage.php?url=http://i12.tinypic.com/6c5fiqf.jpg&mimeType=image/jpeg&length=15616

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:23 pm 

Many thanks for the http://i12.tinypic.com/6c5fiqf.jpg

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:28 pm 

np. good hunting :) :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:36 pm 

Wags wrote: I'll go back and check to see if the App For is there or not.  I'll probably pick them up, $10.00, and certainly will if I can find the cover sheet.

Remember the 1979 sheets say 'Tm Reg App for.' It's only the 1979 cover which doesn't say that. Without the cover, there's no way to tell the editions apart.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:24 pm 

Well, I picked them up anyway.  There was no cover to be had.

Several of the sheets are blank and still stuck together with the red waxy stuff.  There are holes on the left side.  

Whichever printing the are, they're nice and clean.