Star Probe: First Edition (?) How to confirm.
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:25 pm 

Selling this but want to confirm that it is first edition.

All photos are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

The price page has a TSR corrected price for dice (2.50 -- printed price of 1.75) plus mentions D&D Illustrations.

Anyway can this be confirmed as a first edition

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:30 pm 

That product page is vastly more primitive than my copy of Star Probe, which has nothing unusual like handwritten corrections, illustration transpanencies, minimum orders for unspecified miniatures, or a street address instead of a PO Box. The KG logo [mine is lizardman] is the only other thing that distinguishes it however; the title page & all else look identical to mine.

My 1975 Boot Hill has the KG logo, & a street address on the products page. Unfortunately it doesn't have the unusual products, & multisided dice are correctly priced at $2.50. Tractics & Panzer Warfare are listed with prices rather than "coming soon."

Everything seems to indicate a first printing. I can't imagine Star Probe being so popular as to require two in the space of the few months in 1975 before Boot Hill was printed.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:25 pm 

Thanks much -- I'm gonna assume its first after your comments.  Larger pictures of the products page are available on the flikr link.  I'll put it up on ebay after Gencon with the rest of my crap -- was going to post a bunch of stuff tonight and tomorrow -- but probably better to wait for the end of GC.  Spaced that it was this weekend.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:19 am 

Beyond that you've put the spotlight on some very intriguing early products sold by TSR. The miniatures listing is particularly hilarious. What were you supposed to do, send in money blindly in $10 increments to get a random pile of 'no-gauge' figures?

What did they mean by 'clear' prints? Were they transparencies like animation cells, & if so why? Is art commonly sold this way? I suspect they were unusable paste-up copies resulting from some printing misadventure. Maybe they're splotched with Gygax's ink-stained fingerprints, making them the ultimate collectible.

Wouldn't mind having nice prints of the Amazon or Witch in any event.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:43 am 

I have 3 or 4 prints of Star Probe and the GK logo'd one is the earliest so I think you are safe that it is a first print.  There might however, be a copy where the dice price is not changed but both of my copies have this change also.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:48 am 

Mars wrote:I have 3 or 4 prints of Star Probe and the GK logo'd one is the earliest so I think you are safe that it is a first print.  There might however, be a copy where the dice price is not changed but both of my copies have this change also.

Had a PM about the dice price change and the guy said the same thing as you -- his copy had the change and he hadn't ever seen one w/o it.  Anyone have such a copy?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:59 am 

As an aside -- does anyone own one of the "clear" 81/2 x 11 D&D illustrations mentioned in the price guide.  I'd be very interested in seeing one.

I note that the first set of illustrations reference Nazgul/Balrog so must have been pulled because of Tolkien Estate issues.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:18 pm 

- As an aside -- does anyone own one of the "clear" 81/2 x 11 D&D illustrations mentioned in the price guide.  I'd be very interested in seeing one.
none known yet. some say not produced but still in stock listing almost year later + not corrected like dice price
- I note that the first set of illustrations reference Nazgul/Balrog so must have been pulled because of Tolkien Estate issues.
even later that into 1976

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:39 pm 

tdewey10 wrote:I note that the first set of illustrations reference Nazgul/Balrog so must have been pulled because of Tolkien Estate issues.

Good catch. Did either of these illustrations appear in the woodgrain/white boxed sets, or maybe even the OCE?