1E Core Rules Set Valuation (New)
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:07 pm 

Quick "valuation" question.

How much would you charge for a late-printing set of the 1E "core" rulebooks -- MM, DMG, PHB, assuming you have a set?  Please specify if you're referring to either the orange-spines or the earlier covers, but no rare/collectible versions, please.  They must be in "new" condition -- absolutely no writing, etc, etc. (Not necessarily "Mint", as not all new books are Mint in the first place...)

The reason I'm asking is in response to a recent thread on DF, where someone mentioned they'd pay up to $50 USD each for a reprint from WotC.  8O  

I find that concept ghastly, but I figure there might be some business out there for someone...

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:28 pm 

I don't sell, so I can't give what I'd charge, so I'll just toss in my random 2 cents for anyone who even reads my posts. ;)

I think I paid $10 for each of my older cover books.  They're not in great condition, but they were cheaper than any copies off of eBay would have cost once I factored in shipping.  Had they been better, I might have been convinced to shell out up to $20, but probably not more.  (Or, in other words, I'd pay $10 on eBay.  Yeah, yeah, I'm cheap.)

Given its slim size, I certainly wouldn't pay $50 for a later print MM. :roll:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:24 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:How much would you charge for a late-printing set of the 1E "core" rulebooks -- MM, DMG, PHB, assuming you have a set?  Please specify if you're referring to either the orange-spines or the earlier covers, but no rare/collectible versions, please.  They must be in "new" condition -- absolutely no writing, etc, etc. (Not necessarily "Mint", as not all new books are Mint in the first place...)

Half-Price Books stores (plenty of those in Washington State and Texas) have 1E AD&D core rulebooks for under $10 apiece.  Most of the early covers are worn, and a significant portion of the orange-spined books are worn as well.  Still, "new" condition 1E books can be found, though they are getting harder to find and were never plentiful even 10 years ago.

That said, $30-$50 for a set of "new" three 1E AD&D books would be reasonable.  At least that's what I would pay for them.

[Edit: I'm talking about old but new-condition 1E books.]

Last edited by JohnGaunt on Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:26 pm 

I have such a set ...a literal mint set of first covers MM, DMG, PHB, plus a Dieties and a Fiend Folio.  All except the FF have the wizard logo.  I forget what I paid but all from the same seller and the average probably worked out to $35 each with shipping? I think I lucked out.  I would gladly pay $50 each for such a set today.  If I was trying to aquire a set for the first time I would probably reluctantly entertain $75 a book ...for originals.  So $75 would be the minumum starting point for me to sell.

Which brings up the reprint idea.  There is no reason why a reprint of say the MM should be more than $30.  Consider the C&C Monsters and Treasures which is similar size and sells for $28 CDN.

I've also got another matched set similar to above, not mint but as you described new, assembled piecemeal.  I can understand where the $50 figure from DF comes from.  Trying to assemble a matched set of books in Mint or New is a huge pain.  These days I also find the pool of available D&D stuff on Ebay is shrinking while the pool of interested buyers is growing.  So while these later printings are not rare, finding them in Mint or New condition is getting tougher and you have to fight more interested parties when you do find them.

Cheers!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:37 pm 

I'd likely pay $15 or $20 at most for a "new" i.e (not reprinted mind you) set of later print non-orange spine books.  I wouldn't pay any more than $5 for the orange spine ones, with the exception of perhaps UA & OA because they are all relatively easy to find in great shape unlike the earlier printed ones. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:23 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I'd likely pay $15 or $20 at most for a "new" i.e (not reprinted mind you) set of later print non-orange spine books.  I wouldn't pay any more than $5 for the orange spine ones, with the exception of perhaps UA & OA because they are all relatively easy to find in great shape unlike the earlier printed ones. :)

This is about my perception of their value as well.  However, as there are apparently several people out there (islestrike above, for one?) that would be willing to pay $50 apiece, I should think there's a viable market for obtaining cheap but NearMint/Mint copies and reselling them as "new".  :?:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:01 pm 

Let me qualify my statements a bit better.  The $75 figure is something I would consider paying IF I didn't own a minty set at all.  It is also based on my perception that a minty set is getting harder to come by.  But I am also a poor Ebayer in terms of keeping watch on the listings.  I find it very tedious hunting for things week after week, and I'd rather be doing something else.  So I am perhaps not as informed week to week as the more astute collector who keeps regular tabs.  

One other thing - I have quite a few extra copies of books in VG, EX, NEW condition which I did pick up at the more normal prices $10 - $15.  Most of these were a bit of a dissappointment in some way.  So in hindsight if I really wanted a new or minty set, instead of dickering here and there I'd rather just channel the extra funds for a mint/new book right away.

I'd say if you can pick up the same for $10-$15 go for it.  That's chump change.  At worst you're stuck with a minty set of D&D hardbacks that you picked up cheap!

Cheers!