Triviathlon - The Arcane Challenge Contest/Poster
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:28 pm 

I have a very fine to near mint copy of the AD&D Triviathlon Contest/Poster.  I believe I picked this up at Walden Books although according to the back cover, these were also placed in Dragon Magazine issue #227.  There is no writing, highlighting or tears.  Badmike is selling a copy for $15.00 and other sites are selling it for about $10.00.  That seems higher than I expected.  It was published in 1996 and 400,000 copies were printed, so I imagine it's not that rare or valuable, but I'm interested in opinions. :?:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:12 pm 

benjoshua wrote:I have a very fine to near mint copy of the AD&D Triviathlon Contest/Poster.  I believe I picked this up at Walden Books although according to the back cover, these were also placed in Dragon Magazine issue #227.  There is no writing, highlighting or tears.  Badmike is selling a copy for $15.00 and other sites are selling it for about $10.00.  That seems higher than I expected.  It was published in 1996 and 400,000 copies were printed, so I imagine it's not that rare or valuable, but I'm interested in opinions. :?:

I imagine a good many were tossed and another good many were used. I'm surprised that the print run was so high. Was this information on the poster or in the mag?

Value is always what someone will pay or how much you'd have to pay to replace it. The rhyme or reason seems to always be in the eye of the buyer or seller.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:16 pm 

The print run was on the back of the poster.  I was going to lump this item in with a bunch of old TSR catalogs (1982-1993), but I'm thinking maybe it should be a separate auction now.  Answers to the trivia questions were in Dragon Magazine issues 237, 238, 239 and 241(why not 240?)  And are the answers all typed out together somewhere?  Some of the questions are hard! :?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:29 pm 

benjoshua wrote:I have a very fine to near mint copy of the AD&D Triviathlon Contest/Poster.  I believe I picked this up at Walden Books although according to the back cover, these were also placed in Dragon Magazine issue #227.  There is no writing, highlighting or tears.  Badmike is selling a copy for $15.00 and other sites are selling it for about $10.00.  That seems higher than I expected.  It was published in 1996 and 400,000 copies were printed, so I imagine it's not that rare or valuable, but I'm interested in opinions. :?:

Properly advertised, you should expect somewhere beteeen $5 and $15.  I have seen several sell on Ebay in the past and thats usually where they end up at.  Then again it is Ebay and the way things have been going recently you get two detemined bidders and who knows, but I'd be extremely suprised if you get more than $15 for it. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:06 pm 

I'm sure a lot of these were tossed out, or at the least written on in the space for the Trivia answers. I know for a print run that high, I hardly ever see them for sale.  I rarely sell these for more than $10, don't know why I listed it for $15, maybe it's my last copy or something.  I'd say in the $9-$10 range is probably a good price.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:20 pm 

Thanks to everyone who added their expertise.  I appreciate it. 8)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:10 am 

Badmike wrote:I'm sure a lot of these were tossed out, or at the least written on in the space for the Trivia answers.

I'm a big fan of this item, and I used to collect as many as I could. Mike is right: it's the writing that's the biggest problem. A clean copy should definitely be advertised as such.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:24 am 

Yeah, mine's clean.  I'll alert Acaeum when I list it on EBay this fall.  Thanks again.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:52 pm 

Badmike wrote: or at the least written on in the space for the Trivia answers.

"I will trade you this Krustyburger placemat in which a child has already solved the puzzle. The answer is 'FRIES.'"