How would you recommend I go about selling everything ASAP?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:28 pm 

Hi folks!

First of all I am new to these boards.  This site thus far has been extremely helpful in assesing the value of my collection.  And the people her seem very friendly and spot on.  Alas I am in a bit of a quandray.  Whereas my original intention was to sit on my collection idefinitely and let it appreciate over the long haul, unfortunately I am in a bit of a bind and I'm interested in unloading pretty much all of it or whatever I can as soon as possible.

Here's what I have.  Firstly I'll list the rares per this site.

1.  Dragon #1 - mint, pristine condition (I bought this for about $200 at a gaming convention 15 years ago and it has not left its mylar bag since)
2.  Strategic Review #1 - mint
3.  Strategic Review #3 - nmint
4.  SR #4 - nmint
5.  SR #7 - nmint

- Also, I bought the Dragon Archive 5-CD set several years ago and although not listed here it seems to fetch quite a bit on ebay these days due to the fact that it's pretty much unavailable now because of that whole copyright issue.

In addition, I have pretty much everything released to the general public as far as 1st Ed. AD&D goes.  I did however cantinue to collect for a while until the mid '90's so I have tons of 2nd Edition stuff as well.

Dragon-wise I have 1,9,20,22,23,26,27, and then 30-210; all in mylar bags.

I have things that may not make the Rares list but I know people would be intersted in, ie. Dieties & Demigods w/Chulhu, Vale of the Mage, Egg of the Pheonix (The I one not the R one), the Vecna stuff, etc.

As far as condition.....well, I was a youngster when I got into the game in 1980 or 1981 or so.  So some of the older books and modules are a bit thrashed.  As I got a little older and started to appreciate their value of course the condition gets exponentially better.  To the point where I was just collecting in the early to mid '90's solely for the collection value.  I compiled an inventory about a decade ago but its on pen and paper.  I need to put it on Word or whatever.  I'll probably do this tonight.

Well!  Here is my dilemma.  In a couple of days my rent and my utilities will be due.  I do freelance work and to make a long story short late last week I learned that I've been pretty much completely stiffed out of about three months worth of pay.  So basically I'm looking to unload everything I can immediately if not sooner.  Much as I would like to keep this stuff I dodn't really have any emotional or sentimental attachment to them anymore.

So!  My questions:

1.  I live in the center of Southern Califonia (Long Beach).  Can anyone recommend a gaming or hobby story that might be interested in buying this stuff?  The only one I know of is Brookhurst Hobbies in Garden Grove but their buyer will be gone for the next week and a half.  Couldn't really find anything on Google but maybe I'm using the wrong parameters.  I'm open to anywhere in Los Angeles Country, Orange County, even Riverside and San Diego Counties.

2.  Is there any individual here or that you might know of that might be interested in personally buying anything I have?  Of course, with the timing issue there are some caveats.  Ideally the buyer would be in So Cal somewhere.  Because, the ebay thing presents a problem.  Although I have an account (I've only bought before), there is the issue of the time it would take for the auction to go through, and also I just switched banks and don't know if I would be able to verify my new Paypal-linked account in time.  I mean, I'd be willing to ship any of it anywhere but obviously there is the whole trust thing, I'd probably need to have money wired to me first and then ship the goods.  But I doubt anyone would do anything like that on blind faith alone.

My sincere apologies for the overtly long post here but I thought it would be best to seek your counsel, since the whole selling thing is completely new to me, as well as my rather unique situation.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:45 pm 

I think there are probably several people who would be interested in this collection who could Paypal you immediately.  However, to insure the deal you could sell the items on EBay with a Buy-It-Now auction at a pre-arranged price.  Whenever you have it listed, you just private message the buyer that the auction is up and waiting.  That way, the deal is on the board and Paypal would insure the transaction for the buyer.  Use Delivery Conformation to protect yourself.

The bad news is that means you still have to list all the items and make some statements about their condition(especially the valuable items). It would also be helpful to have already figured out a Media Mail shipping rate.  You would also have to require in this deal that the buyer pay immediately, because you need the cash fast.  And don't forget that there's a three to five day waiting period for the free transfer of funds from Paypal to your bank account.

I'm sure you know this, but remember that you will lose a percentage to both EBay and Paypal, but I'm guessing it'll be 5% of the total value.  I also recommend you not make the listing until the deal is negotiated.  You don't want to pay a listing fee for something that won't sell.

Do you already have an idea about how much you want to sell it all for?  If you do, just state the asking price along with the description.  Stating an asking price should move along the deal much quicker or make it clear you need to deal with someone else.

And just to get things started, if things are as you say, I'll give you $500.00 for it all plus shipping.  Yeah, I know that's way below value, but somebody's got to start somewhere.  Good luck!

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:14 pm 

Thanks for the advice!

Everything sounds good although the paypal thing would still pose a problem for two reasons; firstly the delay from when the paypal funds go into my bank account and secondly I am in overdraft at the moment so a good chunk of what I get will go towards my account overage.  Kinda pathetic, I know, but it is what it his.

Here's what I can do.  I'll work on a complete list and have it up by morning and once I have everything in one place I'll have a better idea of what I think everything's worth.  In total they are filled in about 10 of those standard-size white file storage boxes that you'd get at Staples or Office Depot...to give you an idea of the size/amount of stuff here.

Until then, Cheers!

Last edited by Villemar on Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:18 pm 

edit. crossed with your note villemar
a few thoughts. get inventory together asap. beg borrow steal digital camera.
throw the list and pics on here asap costs nothing and onto ebay too if no immediate takers at the price you need. list at fixed price high or best offers be ready to answer all questions + aim for sale within 24 or 36 hours
be prepared to cut some deadweight like high number dragons where $ goes to usps not to you but be careful if asked to split off only choice items like dragon #1
lead time to payment is still tight i think so good luck :) :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:19 pm 

Depending on price, I can say I would be interested in anything 2e you have for Ravenloft and anything involving Vecna. But, price is most important for me... not condition, though condition often stipulates price.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:32 pm 

No problem on the advice.  I hope it helps.

However, how's someone going to pay for the items and be assured of their purchase if Paypal is not an option?  Other than direct pick-up, the only other method I know is to have a trusted intermediary who takes possession of the material, hands over cash and is then responsible for mailing it to the buyer.  I'm so new to this site, I don't know who's where.  I also don't know who's got the better trading reputations although there's a thread about that somewhere.  I am probably missing an obvious solution here. :eye:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:24 am 

Villemar wrote:Thanks for the advice!

Everything sounds good although the paypal thing would still pose a problem for two reasons; firstly the delay from when the paypal funds go into my bank account and secondly I am in overdraft at the moment so a good chunk of what I get will go towards my account overage.  Kinda pathetic, I know, but it is what it his.

Here's what I can do.  I'll work on a complete list and have it up by morning and once I have everything in one place I'll have a better idea of what I think everything's worth.  In total they are filled in about 10 of those standard-size white file storage boxes that you'd get at Staples or Office Depot...to give you an idea of the size/amount of stuff here.

Until then, Cheers!

Paypal funds take about three days to get into your account....not a problem.  

If you don't accept paypal, and you don't have pictures/scans, expect your items to go for a fraction of what they are worth.  You'll get value, but not anywhere what you could if you took a little preparation.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:11 pm 

OK here we go:

http://www.youshare.com/view.php?file=InventoryList.doc

......to get things rolling.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:47 pm 

That is quite a collection!

So, basically you have almost 500 items.  I agree with Rakeesh sah Tarna that cutting Dragon issues #51 and up is going to be a common request because of the cost to ship issue.  I personally would consider them dead weight relatively speaking.

I am guessing/hoping you are now O.K. with Paypal based on Badmike's comments? :?:   If not, how do you want to get paid?

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:55 pm 

Okay, whats happening is I have a couple possible local buyers.  So, I am going to give priority to those two.  If neither of them work out within the next 24 hours then I'll go the paypal route.

As far as size and the dead weight issue, all this stuff fits in a total of 11 of those standard white file storage boxes that you get at Staples or Office Depot.  If each box weighs and average of 30 lbs. each then with everything we are talking probably over 300 lbs of material.  Even knocking out 2 or 3 boxes of nonessential Dragons we're still talking pretty heavy here.

In the meantime I'll tty to finish listing as many more conditions as I can and start getting some pics together.  I'll let you know either way.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:24 pm 

Local people would not have to factor in shipping in their bid so chances are you'd get more money that way, but not necessarily.  The other bonus with a local person is you get cash instead of dealing with Paypal or hauling the stuff to the Post Office.  I am assuming you don't have a scale and could easily do the on-line postage system where the Post Office picks your stuff up.

By the way, a 30 lb Media Mail box from 90210 zip code to 31210 is less than $15.00 depending on the dimensions, so shipping could be less than $150.00 total.

Whatever the local folks bid, it wouldn't hurt to give us on-line folks a chance to counter bid.  Perhaps we can make it worth your while.  You never know unless you ask. :!:

Anyway, I hope it works out for you one way or another.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:03 pm 

Post a link or something if you decide to sell the lot online. I'd like a chance to bid as well.
Thanks,
Arg

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:10 am 

Found a couple more protential local buyers so I'm going to see if that pans out.  If not say by Thursday then we'll go this other route.

Tonight I did some math as to what I think would be a fair price for the lot.  I split everything into two catagories, Rare/Semi-Rare and the rest.

Per the Acaeum's pricing tables, cross-referencing the rare/semi-rare stuff by condition, I have 38 items that fit into this catagory and if I got the ideal price for all of them this comes out to $1,113.

I have 429 remaining items that are not especially rare, I think a fair price to get for each in bulk would be a dollar per, or $429.

So $1,113 + $429 = $1,542.  I don't think it would be unreasonable for a skilled seller to make around this if they were to sell them.

Myself not being in that esteemed company....what should I expect?

Well, relating this to something I have been selling as of late, that being CD's and DVD's, I have found how much shops that sell used CDs /DVDs will pay you in cash for these items.  Whether it be Amoeba, Fingerprints, SecondSpin....they all pay about the same.  That being about 40% of what they can sell it for.  So I usually get $2-3 per CD and $3-4 per DVD.

So 40% of $1542 comes out to a little over $615.  Hence, that's what I'd like to clear from this transaction.  I'd be absolutely thrilled if I could clear $615...it would be perfect.  Sound reasonable?  Oh and I can also upload a pricing breakdown if need be.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:46 am 

- That being about 40% of what they can sell it for.  So I usually get $2-3 per CD and $3-4 per DVD.

- So 40% of $1542 comes out to a little over $615.  Hence, that's what I'd like to clear from this transaction.  I'd be absolutely thrilled if I could clear $615...it would be perfect.  Sound reasonable?  Oh and I can also upload a pricing breakdown if need be.[/quote]

mint dragon #1 does not sell at 40% goes $250-300 just now and no mint copy recent  
** expired/removed eBay auction **
with stains was $257 but beware again if people asking to buy that one itself. between that and few other items should have resellers biting your hands

need seriously to think if delighted with $615 then do you need to cut entire collection?? dragons + srs by themselves might fetch $550 possibly more. ask or BIN high price with best offer on eBay but need photo if that.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:25 am 

OK fair enough.

I have already propositioned my two potential local buyers for the $615 but they must accept the offer and I must have completed the transaction by this evening.  If neither of them pull through, I will be open to more serious bidding.

I have updated my inventory list (added the condition of some of the rares and semi-rares):

http://www.youshare.com/view.php?file=InventoryList.doc

And here is my specific pricing breakdown:

http://www.youshare.com/view.php?file=PricingList.doc

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:48 pm 

Good news....I sold it all today for cash at a hobby store right here in my own city (Long Beach).

Thank you all very much for the advice and the offers.  You guys really know your stuff and it helped me immensely in me understanding exacly what I have and what the value of everything is.

Had I more time I would have let the frenzy commence :-)  but desperate times call for desperate actions.  Although I didn't get the full value I feel I was compensated fairly considering my situation.  And, I wont be getting evicted :-)

So, thank you again.  Cheers!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:17 pm 

Congrats!  That is one happy store owner! :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:42 pm 

Villemar wrote:Good news....I sold it all today for cash at a hobby store right here in my own city (Long Beach).
Thank you all very much for the advice and the offers.  You guys really know your stuff and it helped me immensely in me understanding exacly what I have and what the value of everything is.
Had I more time I would have let the frenzy commence :-)  but desperate times call for desperate actions.  Although I didn't get the full value I feel I was compensated fairly considering my situation.  And, I wont be getting evicted :-)
So, thank you again.  Cheers!

Hi Villemar,

I see that you sold the lot to a local retailer, so I am glad that everything worked out for you, but sorry that I could not come to your aid soon enough. It was an extremely tempting lot 8O

If you still need to raise some cash or would like to get a better value for your stuff, I had an idea. Some people, like myself, would like to contact this store for specific items in your list. You could be a broker and tell this store that you will refer business to them, for your items & possibly other items they have, but that you want a referral fee of 20% on every item sold. This way you should get an extra $20 for every $100 sold, the store sells the stuff quicker (faster ROI), people on the forum get a chance to buy things from a store, and you could make an extra $400 if they sold most everything of value to people here.

Obviously do not tell them about the forum, as they will just list things here or on eBay and bypass you. If you like this idea and the store goes for it, I would like to be your first referral :wink:

Thanks,

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Next