Was the OCE Worth It?
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:07 pm 

In 1987, I traded the comic Macross #1 to Nan's Games for the last of their OD&D stuff: the OCE box plus Blackmoor. Over the years I wondered how our respective investments have fared. Now this auction allows a real-life comparison:

** expired eBay auction **

The seller identifies it as really, really rare, but with two days to go it's still less than $4. Any predictions on what will happen? Will this comic rise to prove me wrong?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:19 pm 

I'd say you got the better deal, even if the price jumps to insane amounts. Money != value. ;)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:31 pm 

As with all comics, condition is paramount.

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/p-indiv ... eID=128779

As you can see from the above link, an ungraded "near mint" goes for an average price of $20.00.

If the Macross you traded was a CCG graded "Gem Mint" condition then maybe the OCE is worth less.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:03 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:As with all comics, condition is paramount.

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/p-indiv ... eID=128779

As you can see from the above link, an ungraded "near mint" goes for an average price of $20.00.

If the Macross you traded was a CCG graded "Gem Mint" condition then maybe the OCE is worth less.

Gem Mint???  Where the hell do these guys come up with these stupid ass names for the condition of a comic book?  Mint is mint...period.  Gem Mint was something thought up by some jackhole at CGC so he and the rest of the comic store owners can make more money by screwing people over.  I have never bought a CGC graded comic and I never will.  I'm a collector...not an archiver.

He got the better end of the deal with the OCE.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:17 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Gem Mint???  Where the hell do these guys come up with these stupid ass names for the condition of a comic book?  Mint is mint...period.  Gem Mint was something thought up by some jackhole at CGC so he and the rest of the comic store owners can make more money by screwing people over.  I have never bought a CGC graded comic and I never will.  I'm a collector...not an archiver.

He got the better end of the deal with the OCE.

Gem Mint? You gotta be kidding me.  I'd like to see some asshat try to explain the difference between Mint and Gem Mint.  It would go like this: "Gem Mint means we can charge 5% more to the person whose comics we evaluate when we place them in the unopenable CGC container".  Gimme a break.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:26 pm 

- Gem Mint? You gotta be kidding me.  I'd like to see some asshat try to explain the difference between Mint and Gem Mint.  It would go like this: "Gem Mint means we can charge 5% more to the person whose comics we evaluate when we place them in the unopenable CGC container".  Gimme a break.[/quote]
5%???? :D :D http://www.colmorecomics.com/Default.as ... ecked=True  10.0 -- Gem Mint A comic in this grade commonly fetches between 50 and 100 times the Near Mint (9.4) guide price. Back to top. Silly/not silly?? :roll: :roll:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:27 pm 

oce ftw :) :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:01 am 

Bidding for the comic ended at less than $12 USD, which was its exact value in the 80s. Trading one for the OCE white box was officially worthwhile; our lives to date have therefore been worth it.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:55 am 

Blackmoor alone is well worth twice the end value of that trade, as long as it is not trashed that is. I see them get $25-30 every week on E-Bay. A decent condition (Not Gem Mint) complete OCE (as you likely know) could easily go for $60-$100 on E-Bay.

Even in 1987 dollars, I think you certainly got the better end of that deal.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:02 pm 

I'm not so sure.  :?:

Over a span of 20+ years, the delta between the respective masses of the collectibles comes into play.  The comic is lighter than the OCE, so it requires less energy to lug around.  Obviously, that energy comes from somewhere...food, gasoline, electricity, whatver -- it needs to be purchased.  Depending on how much you've actually moved the OCE in the last few decades, you might have lost money..and don't get me started on wind resistance, the comic is much more aerodynamic.  

That being said, the sheer joy of owning an OCE has made you happier and healthier than any comic ever could, and may have contributed to many job promotions and/or romantic interludes.  This would have increased your standard of living substantially.

So, it's a toss-up, I think.  :lol:

YIM