DCC 51.5 Free RPG day module
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:36 am 

Looks like the 'collectibility' of this item never materialized.

From completed eBay auctions:

7/10- $15.50
7/12 - $20.50
7/12 - $10.50
7/18 - $8.50
7/19 - $11.50
7/24 - $7.50
7/24 - $5.00

Anyone think there is any long-term potential for value in these?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:40 am 

Gus Landt wrote:Looks like the 'collectibility' of this item never materialized.

From completed eBay auctions:

7/10- $15.50
7/12 - $20.50
7/12 - $10.50
7/18 - $8.50
7/19 - $11.50
7/24 - $7.50
7/24 - $5.00

Anyone think there is any long-term potential for value in these?

There are a lot of these out there, relatively...5000 right? And Goodman is going to release a $2 version one of these days.

However, in the arguement for collectibility....

1.  It was never released outside of the US.  So Canadian, Australian, and Euro collectors will still want a copy if they are completists. The $2 version will be different (if nothing else it will have a price on it and no "Free Game Day" logo).

2.  The market for Goodman Games limited edition items is notoriously slow to heat up.  I bought multiple copies of both 20.5 and 17.5 when they came out, and was getting maybe $10-25 in auction for them months afterwards.  Then suddenly when people realized they were out there, the price shot up dramatically to $50-$100 for either.  I'm not saying the 51.5 will ever go that high, but...give it a few months.

3.  It's a prequel to Castle Whiterock, which hasn't been released yet.  When it does, expect demand to go up as people look for other Goodman games/Whiterock castle related items.

4.  I was buying 12.5 1st editions, the ones going for $50+ now, for $10 a couple weeks after gencon, at that point they were going cheap because no one really knew how rare they were...so maybe the 51.5's now are a bargain ina  few months, who knows?

5. The market is being flooded right now...wait a few months when more of these get into the hands of collectors, and less into the hands of speculators who hoarded a pile or two.  

It's been barely a month since it was released....

BTW, I'd throw out the three lowest prices on that list...the seller mis-listed them and paid for it. not using the keyword "Whiterock" which the four other higher final totals had in common!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:01 am 

I think this was released in the UK as well on their Free RPG day last weekend (along with most of the other items offered at US Free RPG day).

It does make me wonder how many copies were printed for the UK day as wwll.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:38 am 

Mars wrote:I think this was released in the UK as well on their Free RPG day last weekend (along with most of the other items offered at US Free RPG day).

It does make me wonder how many copies were printed for the UK day as wwll.

well i didnt see them or i would have gone and got one :(

ah well such is life.

Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:17 am 

I would have to come down on the side that says there is no long term collectability for DCC 51.5, if by collectable people mean highly sought after and expensive.  Unlike the 1E 12.5 con special of last year, the reprint is going to be available at retail and so be part of the regular DCC line.  And it is all about the reprint.

You see most people who currently enjoy buying DCCs are fans, not collectors.  There is a big difference.  The fan wants this or that DCC for the actual adventure, to admire the cover and interior art, and to even run the damn things.  The fan is generally not interested in print run completeness, they are interested in the unique aesthetics of the modules.  So the fan is willing to pay $250 for DCC 3.5 in most cases, just like the collector.  The fan however is not willing to pay the $150 for DCC 12.5 1E when they can buy the limited reprint for $50, and they are certainly not going to buy them both.  To my guestimation there are only a handful of collectors obsessed with aquiring every printing. (and all the power to them!)

Here's my list of DCCs that will be more sought after by collectors and fans in the future:

1. DCC 1 - 1st and 2nd prints.  Unique covers, and the 1st print uses 3.0 rules and is the 1st DCC ever.

2. DCC 2 - 1st print.  Again a unique cover over the later reprint. Uses 3.0 rules.

3. DCC 4.5 - My Friend the Fomrian in EN World Player's Journal 4.  Finding an EN World Journal 4 is getting tougher.

4. DCC 13 - 1st print.  This is a full color interior, the reprint is only B&W.  Also it is the very 1st DCC tourney module.

With everything else there is only superficial minutiae differences between the printings which fans don't care about.  That is why I think the 1st print of 12.5 1E is not worth the extra cost over the limited reprint, and why 51.1 with the free rpg day logo is not going to be worth pursuing for anything more than $10 to get a copy now.

Feel free to disagree, but that is my take on it.   :)

Cheers!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:23 am 

Oh I forgot to mention DCC 5 - Aerie of the Crow God.  The 1st print also has a different cover over the reprint.  Fans will want both, since the reprint has some expanded material.

Cheers!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:28 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
well i didnt see them or i would have gone and got one :(

ah well such is life.

Al

Comon ...one of you beggars that managed to snag multiple copies send this guy one in the mail in the spirit that it was originally given - FREE!

Cheers!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:49 am 

well i didnt see them or i would have gone and got one  

ah well such is life.

Free RPG day in the UK was one month later than in the US ... I guess the demand for such was not anticipated ahead of time.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:56 am 

So the fan is willing to pay $250 for DCC 3.5 in most cases, just like the collector.

Safe bet I should hold on to the autographed copy I have then ...  :twisted:

YIM